U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,829,194 times

Advertisements

hey guys
I was going to put this in the Flea Prevention thread, but I thought maybe it deserved its own.
Yesterday I stopped by the vet to pick up Frontline Plus, but Elwood had been scratching more lately, and they told me that they've been getting complaints about Frontline not working so well. They do not carry Advantix because of the danger to cats.
Well, I came home with one dose of Promeris. We applied it the same way we do Frontline, but Elwood needs a higher dose because of his size.
He was a little pukey this morning, and a bit lethargic. But his appetite was good and he went for a walk.
I found this on Snopes:
Adverse Reactions to ProMeris
I think Elwood is going to be fine, but he is a big dog. If I ever use ProMeris again, I think I will only use one and a half tubes rather than two.
Be careful out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 04:48 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,912,034 times
I hope Elwood is going to be ok.

I'm surprised any vet is still selling ProMeris. My vet and many others have already pulled it from their shelves and are warning their clients not to use it.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,796,593 times
I would call the vet and tell them your dog had an adverse reaction. I would also mention what you found online.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:03 AM

Elwood was fine by late afternoon. He just spit up a bit in the morning, and was sleepy.
He is quite perky today and ready to go on his walk.

Yes, I did call the vet--they had not had any complaints! I think they just got the ProMeris, though.
The link I posted says that all indications were that the dogs had somehow licked/ingested ProMeris, but this would have been impossible for Elwood--I applied it to his back.

This reminds me of years ago (in another state) when a different dog of mine had an adverse reaction to Deramaxx. My vet was surprised to hear about it, and they were not about to quit dispensing it because of my particular situation.

At any rate, for the first time in weeks, Elwood is not scratching at all.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 AM

4,126 posts, read 13,246,714 times
GLad he's doing better. Personally, I'd wait to use that (or anything) til it's been on the market a few years. I think it was ProHeart that was recalled about a year or so ago, it wasn't Promeris, two different meds w/ similar sounding names. We use Frontline Plus and I'm happy with that (although I've heard of adverse reactions from that).

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,912,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Personally, I'd wait to use that (or anything) til it's been on the market a few years.
Me too.

I remember the ProHeart problem too. That's one of the reasons my vet pulled ProMeris when she started hearing about reactions. She said between the ProHeart problem and the ProMeris problem, she no longer trusts selling new products until they've been proven for several years not to cause harm. Many other vets have stopped selling it too for the same reasons.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:21 PM

4,126 posts, read 13,246,714 times
Here's an article on ProHeart -
Our view on drug safety: FDA vet tracks dog deaths, gets smeared in the process - Opinion - USATODAY.com

Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,137,416 times
I'm glad it worked and that he's feeling better, but that's a little scary .

You mentioned Advantix, but I don't know if you've ever tried Advantage (by Bayer)?

We're not regular users of flea medications, but when we need some, this is what we use and we've had no adverse reactions (and it definitely takes care of the fleas).

Bayer Advantage:: Flea Control for Dogs and Cats

You can also try Brewer's Yeast - you can both add it to their food and rub it into their skin. It repels fleas and it's really good for dogs (and humans!). Also garlic if you can get Elwood to eat some .

Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 AM

I think we did use Advantage once. Thank you for the suggestions. Btw, I use Revolution on the kitty, and she does well with that.
The thing is, for Elwood, we have to control ticks, too. We don't have ticks right where we live, but they are definitely out at the spouse's workplace--he's found little ones on himself more than once, and we found one engorged tick on Elwood. This is why we decided that we needed a change from Frontline Plus.
Maybe I just shouldn't let Elwood ever go to the jobsite with the husband.
That might solve a lot of problems.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,137,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I think we did use Advantage once. Thank you for the suggestions. Btw, I use Revolution on the kitty, and she does well with that.
The thing is, for Elwood, we have to control ticks, too. We don't have ticks right where we live, but they are definitely out at the spouse's workplace--he's found little ones on himself more than once, and we found one engorged tick on Elwood. This is why we decided that we needed a change from Frontline Plus.
Maybe I just shouldn't let Elwood ever go to the jobsite with the husband.
That might solve a lot of problems.
We get the ticks when they're in season too, some areas are worse than others (pine tree areas seem to have a lot of ticks).

As long as you're giving the heartworm preventative, you can just pull the ticks off and he should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or