U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:08 PM

161 posts, read 246,461 times
Default Everyone should read this!!!

This is a terrific story and much better than all the negative stories we always hear about "pit bulls". They are not all bad and even those who suffer horrible lives and are trained to fight, turn out to be sweethearts.

Beaten-down dog from Vick case has his day - Pet health - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:20 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,122,292 times
Wonderful article. You'll probably get the usual negative feedback because of Leo's breed, but this is proof positive to the saying "Don't Blame 'Em, Train'Em". Thanks for an uplifting post.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM

16,296 posts, read 30,055,982 times
What a wonderful story! THanks for posting the link.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM

962 posts, read 477,332 times
Great story! It's wonderful to know that those dogs, who's lives were horrifying, are now enjoying their lives and being treated the way great dogs should be.
Thanks for posting it.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 AM

8,204 posts, read 23,567,266 times
Thanks Vter4ever .

I've been following the Vicktory Dogs (as they're now known as) through Best Friends. Many of them are doing phenomenally well while a few have had setbacks (strong fears ).

These dogs are going to teach people a lot when all the info comes forward to the public. Thank goodness the judge gave them a chance and did not insist they be put down !

Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 AM

10,063 posts, read 13,919,015 times
Yes, go to bestfriends.org and see progress journals and photos of the Vick dogs. Not only is B.F. rehabbing these dogs, they are, I think, sort of writing the book on how to deal with dogs who have been mistreated this way. They got a big bunch of money from Asshat Vick as a fine for the dogs' care and training. Go, Best Friends!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,122,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Yes, go to bestfriends.org and see progress journals and photos of the Vick dogs. Not only is B.F. rehabbing these dogs, they are, I think, sort of writing the book on how to deal with dogs who have been mistreated this way. They got a big bunch of money from Asshat Vick as a fine for the dogs' care and training. Go, Best Friends!
Only I'd call what he and others did torture, not mistreatment. Yeah, isn't that amazing what Best Friends and others are doing? Letting some of the pups who are unadoptable live out their lives in peace, and with genuine care.

RIVEREE - I'd love to post this photoshopped pic of Michael Vick. It might offend some, so I understand if you take it down, and I'll apologize in advance...just might be what some of his former dogs are dreaming of if life were a level playing field...

(Yeah, I know it's immature ).

Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post

RIVEREE - I'd love to post this photoshopped pic of Michael Vick. It might offend some, so I understand if you take it down, and I'll apologize in advance...just might be what some of his former dogs are dreaming of if life were a level playing field...
I'm okay with it, no Terms of Service rules broken .

Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 PM

161 posts, read 246,461 times
[quote=SeeBee;4152957]Only I'd call what he and others did torture, not mistreatment. Yeah, isn't that amazing what Best Friends and others are doing? Letting some of the pups who are unadoptable live out their lives in peace, and with genuine care.

That's the best part of BF. It's too bad more places can't afford to give that chance to pets that just can't be adopted. I'm glad more people are paying attention the Vick dogs, they will be ambassadors to the breed and hopefully can help deter all the negative media hype. What upsets me is that these stories are broadcast more, I guess it's not as interesting enough for the media to report on. If there is anything good to bring out of that horrific scene, it's that dogs were saved and a wonderful organization is getting well earned money to help those and many other dogs! Btw I love the pick

Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 PM

I bet BF has some plans for a media blitz on this one once they have some long-term results .

I think people will want to know "what ever happened to those dogs?" and BF will be able to say "here's exactly what happened and here's what we've learned from it".

If/when that happens, I think it could be monumental for pit bulls. In the big picture of pit bulls and their plight today, I think one of the very saddest issues is how the general public has demonized these dogs. When I hear people - who would not know a pit bull if one licked them on the face - say these terrible, awful, evil things about dogs they don't even know and wish them ill, I find it so heartbreaking . Maybe these will be the dogs who will turn people's hearts arounds and if we can do that, we can do a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs