U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 PM

57 posts, read 375,261 times

Advertisements

My dog recently had a tumor removed. The vet said it is fibrosarcoma. He is currently undergoing radiation and the vet seemed to think that would be all that is needed.

However, a bump started growing back in the site where the tumor was removed. They tested the fluid and it contains cancer cells. We are currently awaiting biopsy results and were told we may have to do chemo.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Also wondering if there are things we can do at home to help -- dietary changes, changes in shampoo, flea meds, etc. We are afraid vaccines or a microchip could have contributed to this and I would love to do some holistic things to help him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:36 PM

286 posts, read 747,140 times
Default Canine cancer resources

Some canine cancer resources for you, and sending you positive thoughts:
Canine Cancer Awareness Home Page
Cancer Info, Research, & Treatment for all Types of Cancer | OncoLink
Colo State Univ

Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,784,125 times
So sorry to hear about your dog, Movin . We've just been though it ourselves and it was awful. It's over for us now, and it's definitely easier being on this side of it, the other side was very hard .

My dog had an oral sarcoma. For the life of me, I can't remember if it was a fibro or not? That whole period is just a big blur . I think it was a fibro though, and it was in the front of his mouth (a strange spot to get it).

We removed the tumor and it grew back inside of 10 days . Often, the act of cutting them out strengthens them. My vet had warned us of this possibility, but we all (including the vet) wanted to give it a shot and see if we could get it all out. My vet was suprised at just how fast it grew back.

For a variety of reasons, we did not pursue any treatments beyond pain control for him. His cancer was very, very aggressive and we lost him just a few months after the diagnosis.

You are probably aware, we have a new pet cancer clinic near us, in Orange Park:

Southeast Veterinary Oncology (broken link)

Is this where you're going for treatment?

Old 06-19-2008, 02:15 PM

57 posts, read 375,261 times
We are going to Sevo! We really like them -- they seem to know what they are doing and they are so nice to us and our dog.

We got the biopsy results back and they confirmed cancer cells so our original vet (not Sevo) did not get it all in the first surgery. It looks like we will be doing more surgery once radiation is complete.

Riveree, I am sorry to hear about your dog. Our dog does not seem to be suffering right now and since the vet is optimistic we will continue to try to fight it. I can't imagine how we will survive this if treatment is not successful...

I am nervous that anything might make it worse now -- as the lawn care guys were spraying our bushes in the back, I started panicking that it's something harmful (we rent so we can't just tell them to stop)...are the chemicals the exterminator uses outside really safe...is it because he's drinking out of a plastic water dish...or eating the wrong things...etc.

I'd make any change necessary if I just knew what I could do!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovintoJax View Post
We are going to Sevo! We really like them -- they seem to know what they are doing and they are so nice to us and our dog.

We got the biopsy results back and they confirmed cancer cells so our original vet (not Sevo) did not get it all in the first surgery. It looks like we will be doing more surgery once radiation is complete.

Riveree, I am sorry to hear about your dog. Our dog does not seem to be suffering right now and since the vet is optimistic we will continue to try to fight it. I can't imagine how we will survive this if treatment is not successful...

I am nervous that anything might make it worse now -- as the lawn care guys were spraying our bushes in the back, I started panicking that it's something harmful (we rent so we can't just tell them to stop)...are the chemicals the exterminator uses outside really safe...is it because he's drinking out of a plastic water dish...or eating the wrong things...etc.

I'd make any change necessary if I just knew what I could do!
When we removed the tumor, my vet said he's try to get all the cancer, but he thought there was a very good chance he might not be able to. He got everything he could get to without going into the nasal cavity. So I don't know how successful vets are in cutting all the cancer out. I would not be upset with your first vet is what I'm saying .

I also spent a lot of time wondering how and why this happened. Especially since I have other dogs, I really wanted to know what caused the cancer...was it their food? Was it something environmental? If I knew what it was, maybe I could protect the other dogs from getting cancer. My vet said that is was more a roll of the dice...some dogs get cancer and that's pretty much it. There's still so much unknown about cancer in pets .

Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,645 times
Default my german shepard has fibrosarcoma

my shepard is only 4yrs old I had the tumor removed just 22 days ago and it is back, I have plans to remove it again but i cant afford it after that. Its in his upper mouth towards his back teeth he is playing and eating like a pig but i wonder how long before i see him changing, I dont want to put him through cemo. I heard a high protein diet is good for a dog with cancer is this true?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraly View Post
my shepard is only 4yrs old I had the tumor removed just 22 days ago and it is back, I have plans to remove it again but i cant afford it after that. Its in his upper mouth towards his back teeth he is playing and eating like a pig but i wonder how long before i see him changing, I dont want to put him through cemo. I heard a high protein diet is good for a dog with cancer is this true?
If it came back in 22 days, it sounds like what happened to us, ours came back in 10 days and it came back stronger .

The vet warned us of this possibility and strongly advised against trying to remove it again.

Chemo will be a personal choice if it is even an option (it's not an option for every type of sarcoma, as I understand it).

You need to keep in close contact with your vet and figure out a course of action...I was practically a daily visitor in my vet's office when we were going through this .

4 years old is so young , I'm hoping youth is on your side and your dog will pull through this.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:49 PM

3,527 posts, read 5,014,254 times
Look up the Navy protocol on the internet it is an antiangiogenesis protocol and I can't quite remember which cancers it works best on.

One of my dogs Dash has nasal carcinoma and had Palliative IMRT radiation back in May and is now on a metronomic therapy that is antiangiogenic.

He is tolerating it very well .It is pills he takes at home and his quality of live has been greatly improved because of his treatment which was my whole goal. If you met him today you would have no idea that he has such a serious cancer and no he has not suffered any bad side effects.

Find a good vet. Oncologist and ask about antiangiogenesis protocols. Best of luck and please keep us posted on your pooch.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,482 times
11-2010 Dakota our Akita was diagnosed with Stage III Fibrosarcoma. The Tumor was removed but we were told due to the Stage level it would probably grow back. 9-2011 the tumor had grown back but in a different location. His chest near the right scapula or shoulder bone. An Aspiration was done again confirming Stage III Fibrosarcoma again. A second sergery was done to remove the mass and we are awaiting healing time to start Chemo Therapy. 3 small nodules have been found this time in his chest as well, therefore why Chemo is recommended for stoping further growth or shrinking of the cells. We have changed Dakota's diet to a Holistic Call of the Wild brand dog food and also have been giving him K9 Immunity Plus which you can research online to help with his own Immunity. Does anyone know of this type of Cancer and if its beatable. Dakota is only 8. Thanks

Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,248 times
In February 2011, My dog was diagnosed with a fibrosarcoma...discovered it when it was a size do an egg, at 10 years old we decided not to operate due to the quality of life she would have recovering from a removal the size of a baseball from her chest area and treatments or chemo....

She just celebrated her 11th b-day X-mas day, the tumor has grow to nearly the size of volleyball but had a good quality of life up until a week ago....what I put her on was 1500 mg of turemic (1 - 500mg 3x a day)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs