Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times

Advertisements

Why would my breeder recommend a small breed puppy food for a large breed pup (or anyone for that matter)? IS their a reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
What food for what breed dog? Perhaps the caloric intake?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Maybe afraid of too much Calcium.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
What food for what breed dog? Perhaps the caloric intake?
Native American Indian Dog. She has her on Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy Food and then Taste of The Wild. I went to the pet store to buy some today and they told me it was the wrong food???? Large Breed should not be on a small breed food. I am quite confused and getting more confused by the minute

Old 06-18-2008, 08:15 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
You need to ask the breeder.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Native American Indian Dog. She has her on Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy Food and then Taste of The Wild. I went to the pet store to buy some today and they told me it was the wrong food???? Large Breed should not be on a small breed food. I am quite confused and getting more confused by the minute
I'm not familiar with Native American Indian Dog, so i had to google it

Beautiful looking animal.
Ok, on topic of Puppy food. Whoever said not to feed "small breed" food, meant to say "puppy food" for ether breed.

I don't want to confuse you even more, but it has been reccomended not to feed large breed puppy any "puppy" food, period!!!
Why, you might ask. Puppy food contains a lot of stuff which makes your pup grow faster then it really should, you want you dog to grow at slower rate which is beneficial to their joints. It is true for any large breed.

My dogs never been on kibble, so i can't tell you first hand. But i have friends with large breeds, and none of them fed their pups puppy food, instead, a quality adult food.

You will need to do your own research and see what food will be more beneficial to your puppy.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I'm not familiar with Native American Indian Dog, so i had to google it

Beautiful looking animal.
Ok, on topic of Puppy food. Whoever said not to feed "small breed" food, meant to say "puppy food" for ether breed.

I don't want to confuse you even more, but it has been reccomended not to feed large breed puppy any "puppy" food, period!!!
Why, you might ask. Puppy food contains a lot of stuff which makes your pup grow faster then it really should, you want you dog to grow at slower rate which is beneficial to their joints. It is true for any large breed.

My dogs never been on kibble, so i can't tell you first hand. But i have friends with large breeds, and none of them fed their pups puppy food, instead, a quality adult food.

You will need to do your own research and see what food will be more beneficial to your puppy.
Thanks ShepsMom. That makes sense. I wonder if a small breed puppy food is slower than a large breed puppy food in terms of growth rate? Interesting. Well the breeder did state that the pup is eating the diamond naturals sb puppy formula plus the Taste of the wild. SO perhaps she is mixing this in already and getting rid of the puppy food. Who knows. I will know more on Sunday when we get her!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
CAKD, you can compare ingridients of the "small" and "large" breed puppy food and see what difference is. I don't know if there is any, but just try it.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
CAKD,
Or maybe the puppy gulps down the food and the smaller food is easier to digest. Our frenchies gulped their food with large bite foods and started vomitting. We switched to tiny food and they're doing a lot better with this. They're still gulping, but it's easier for their digestive system. It's just a thought. Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
CAKD, you can compare ingridients of the "small" and "large" breed puppy food and see what difference is. I don't know if there is any, but just try it.
It might also be of interest to check to protein and fat ratios, not just the ingredients
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs