Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

This is just off the top of my head...

1. Official Breed Name and Country of Origin
Rough collie - Scotland

2. What is this breed was bred for
Herding, rescuing Timmy, helping Dalmations escape

3. Breed Standards (this part I stole)

45 to 75 pounds.

One of the characteristic features of the Rough Collie is its head.[3][2] This is light in relation to the rest of the body, and resembles a blunted wedge tapering smoothly from ears to black nose. The muzzle is well rounded, and never square. There is considerable variation in the colour of the head, however. The eyes are medium sized and attentive. The ears are generally bent, the bottom part vertical and the tips sloped forwards, although the dog can lay them back, or hold them vertical when alert.

The downy undercoat is covered by a long, dense, coarse outer coat with a notable ruff around the neck, feathers about the legs, a petticoat on the abdomen, and a frill on the hindquarters

4. Health Issues/Genetics
Hip dysplasia, collie eye, collie nose (it's never good when it's named after you), intolerance to Ivermectin

5. Temperament
Gentle, patient, good-natured, calm, extremely family oriented, playful, energetic. Excellent with children and other animals. Hell, mine can read my mind now. Smart and not "bitey." Very easy to socialize (these dogs seem to really like people).

6. Why one should/ or should not own this breed
You should get one if you want a family dog that's great with kids and that will mix well with other dogs (or even cats). If you want a dog for obedience, agility, or frisbee events, a collie will work well. Also if you have a lot of sheep who seem to continously lose their way or a wayward son with an inclination towards watery holes...

Don't get one if you are going to leave her in the backyard all day by herself or if you don't have time to put in a lot of training and regular exercise. They really seem to enjoy learning and playing. Not much of a security-type watch dog, outside of alert barking. Also be aware of...the shedding factor.

7. Any other info:
I know everyone's got their favorite and all-time best dog...but I just won't get another dog. Collies are for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Stan, that was a great read.
I always loved collies, such gorgeous creatures. I read all the "Lad of Sunnybank" books.
Probably because of Lassie, the breed became very popular back when I was a little kid. We even had one for awhile, a beautiful sable, but it was a mistake, my parents had three kids age 5 and under and they just could not give Tad the attention and training he deserved, so they found another home for him.
You sound so devoted to the breed and it was a pleasure reading your post.
::slight hijack::
There was a smooth-coated collie in my old neighborhood, a very sweet and gentle dog, good with kids too.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Rough & Smooth have are the same except for coat.

Health problems a numberous...eye, hip & elbows so make sure the parents are checked..tho that does not mean the pups are.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
1. Official Breed Name and Country of Origin
Weimaraner Vorstehhund
Nicknames Weim
Gray Ghost
Country of origin Germany

2. What is this breed was bred for (some history)
Originally known as the Weimer Pointer (derived from the court that sponsored the breed), the Weimaraner is a product of selective German breeding and comes from the same general stock as other German hunting breeds. It is believed to be a descendant of the Bloodhound and was originally used to hunt wolves, deer and bear. Over the years because of the rarity of bigger game in his surroundings, the Weimaraner adapted to become a bird dog and personal hunting companion.

3. Breed Standards
A medium-sized gray dog, with fine aristocratic features. He should present a picture of grace, speed, stamina, alertness and balance. Above all, the dog's conformation must indicate the ability to work with great speed and endurance in the field.

4. Health Issues/Genetics
Gastric Torsion or GDV, bloat/torsion, twisted stomach:
Hip Displasia, CHD or poor hips:
Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy
Mastocytoma or mast cell tumor:

5. Temperament
Lauded for his ability to work with great speed, fearlessness and endurance when on the hunt, the Weimaraner is also known for being an easily trainable, friendly and obedient member of the family. This is a breed that loves children and enjoys being part of his family's "pack." Grooming maintenance is low due to his short coat.

6. Why one should/ or should not own this breed[/b]
1. Weimaraners are very energetic animals...they are bred to hunt all day with their master. Changing this behavior changes the essential Weim. If you can not deal with this behavior, you should look at other breeds less rambunctious!

2. Weims are not soft mouthed like a Golden Retriever or Irish Setter. They are still the game hunter and some Weims have a low tolerance for small fur bearing animals including cats and small dogs. Changing this behavior again changes the basic temperament of the dog.

3. Weims can bark and if you are away from them too much and they are left to themselves, Weimaraners are like any other lonely dog, they will bark incessantly and develop bad habits or try escaping their surroundings.

4. Although Weimaraners are hunting dogs, they do not like living outdoors. They require your attention. They are the true, loyal, hunting companions in every respect, needing your friendship. Chaining a Weim outside will not work!

5. Inspite of the folklore and myth surrounding the breed, the Weimaraner is not a wonder dog. Given the opportunity, he will still steal the pot roast off the dining room table when no one is looking!

7. Any other info:

Mine is a counter surfer as were my other weims. You can not leave anything to eat where they can reach it.
They love to sleep with you. Very mouthy and talk a lot. Some Weims will chase and may kill cats. I got mine when she was almost a year old and she will chase the cats if they are outside but not inside, well at least not now.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
I am definitely a GSD fan having owned 5 over the years and OP did a good job with the breed description. There is a wide variety in what people think of when they see a GSD both in terms of structure and temperament. Any one wanting one needs to really do their research!

There are American Showlines, German Showlines, German Working lines [add in Czech and DDR], and other variants but those are the main ones. The diversity is so great that I have had people tell me my sable male has GOT to have wolf in him [NOT] and that my female is too small to be a GSD [NOT-she is within the breed standard] I am partial to the Working line dogs as I actually use them for work [search and rescue]

My current femaile is a West German Working lines [as opposed to German Showlines] GSD who unfortuntaly has HD and had to be retired at a very young age [but she really does not appear to be suffering and does quite well]. My male is a Czech dog out of zps bloodlines. He is a certified cadaver dog.

Yes, she is 50lbs and he is 70lbs. Good working size. These are not dogs content to lie around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs