U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,211,816 times

Advertisements

Geez, we finally got the other people with the pit bulls squared away -- either the dogs are gone or they're being kept secure because I haven't seen them in almost two weeks now. NOW, new people moved in and brought a pit bull puppy.

This puppy LOVES me -- she comes trotting over whenever she's outside and follows me around. The problem is that she's super-skinny. I don't really want to go over to the new neighbors and say, "Hi, welcome to the neighborhood, you're not feeding your dog enough!"

The two little girls in the family were outside when I got back from the store a few days ago and I had bought a big bag of food for my dogs. The puppy came running over to see me and the little girls followed so I thought, hmmm, maybe a teaching moment? I ripped open the bag of dog food and offered some to the puppy. She gobbled it up like crazy and I continued to feed her. The girls were watching, amazed. I told them that she needed lots of good nutritious food to grow big and strong and I pointed out how her ribs are showing. They basically told me that the dog is fed table scraps like potatoes.

Is this a good approach -- teaching the kids how to care for the puppy -- or should I take it further? The parents are really nice people and the dog is sweet and friendly -- she shows no signs of being abused in any way. I just don't think these folks know how to take care of a dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 AM

692 posts, read 3,585,567 times
Even though kids are smarter than most people think. I think it's time to kind of nudge the owners. Nicely, but letting them know at the same time. You don't want to offend them, but to feed her.

Good luck! She sounds like a cutie with a great personality!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,213,939 times
You can always bring a large bag of the dog food with a bow to them, as a welcome to neighborhood gift.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,319,506 times
There's a feeding problem for sure...and pups need so much food! Might gently suggest a worm check as well, if there's a way...that could contribute to the skinny and wanting to eat all the time...

Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 AM

12,439 posts, read 31,491,210 times
That pup gets to play a lot...dont think not eating is all the problem! Actually dont think there is a problem....puppy & 2 young kids all active. You dont do rib tests on growing pups!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,018,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
There's a feeding problem for sure...and pups need so much food! Might gently suggest a worm check as well, if there's a way...that could contribute to the skinny and wanting to eat all the time...
Aren't puppies usually fat if they have worms?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 PM

Well, there's something wrong. I know the difference between a lanky, active puppy and a pup whose ribs and hip bones are showing from not getting proper nutrition. The landscaper was here one day when the puppy came over to see me and the first thing he said was, "Dang, that puppy is skinny!"

Hmm, the humane society has started offering its summer vet. clinics at TSC -- I'll be taking my youngest two for their rabies shot so maybe I'll mention it to the neighbors? The vet and vet tech. would DEFINITELY talk to them about the pup's weight and condition. This isn't a substitute for regular vet. care, of course, but it may at least be a start!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
You can always bring a large bag of the dog food with a bow to them, as a welcome to neighborhood gift.
ROFL, you don't know how close I was to giving them the bag of dog food I had bought! But I figured that wouldn't be a good idea for a number of reasons!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,033,372 times
Hard to know the best avenue to take, but the parents might feel that educating their kids was overstepping. Good idea about suggesting the summer vet clinic. With two young kids, the parents might just be very busy and caring for the dog is off the radar. They may not even notice the dog is too skinny. Sad, but that's how it is sometimes. The dog is for the kids and kids and dog fend for themselves all too often....

Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 AM

4 posts, read 20,766 times
Come on step it up and nicely tell the parents that you have dogs and pups need to eat a lot,,, if they take care of her otherwise maybe they just dont know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs