Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,592,119 times

Advertisements

we put a box, teddy bear and cushion inside Miss Daisy's crate when we got her at 8 weeks. This we had done with Millie when we got her at 8 weeks (she is now 11 and still cuddles the same teddy !!!) and also did the same with Roscoe when we adopted him at 18 months. As they got older the crates were no longer used at night just cushions near our bed !!! now we have all 3 of them snoring thier heads off at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:02 PM

2,183 posts, read 7,970,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
What breed is the puppy?

She's a baby and she's suddenly in a new home with strange sights and sounds. To some degree, being frightened is natural. Do you know how she was raised? Doesn't sound like she had a lot of contact with humans, sigh.

Can you move her crate into your bedroom so she sees you and feels reassured? The ole ticking alarm clock wrapped in a towel trick might help, too.
She is a Native American Indian Dog. From the feeling I got once we were at the breeders to pick her up it looks like she did not have a ton of human interaction. Just time with her mom and litter mates. I could be wrong....

Old 06-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Congratulations on your new pup!

To some extent, the behavior you describe is normal for a pup in a new environment away from littermates and mom. She may not have been well prepared by the breeder for separation, and that's not good. You can fix this, though. Your pup is in a key socialization period right now, and how you handle her now will be the determining factor in how she acts as an adult. You need to get started with socialization immediately.

I would encourage you to read the information on these websites and follow the guidelines. Your pup will grow into a very large dog, and nothing is more important for you and for her than taking steps now to structure how she'll interact with humans as an adult.

All the best to your pup and your family in this exciting time!

Dog Tip: Puppy Socialization: What It Is, Why It's Essential, and How To Do It

Dog Owner's Guide BRT: Puppy socialization

Dr. Ian Dunbar | Dog Star Daily

Thanks for the wonderful web sites. I read them and got busy Since she is already 9 weeks according to the links you sent she is closing in on her socialization window! So I had my son bring all his buddies over this am and they sat on the screened in porch with her. She was behind a table but she did not hide her face. She was very interested in what was going on. Then my son put her in his lap and pet her slowly while he and his friends talked in even tones. She did not seemed stressed at all. Then we went to my neighbors for a playdate with her 2 year old GSD. Shiloh was not afraid of him at all and was quite spunky and did not back down from him. She even had him in the submissive position at one point. My neighbor and I were not sure who was the alpha there Then home to a ringing door bell where every child in the neighborhood wanted to see the new puppy. She sat under a stool but let every single person pet her and she gave them all kisses. Did not leave her shelter but did not hide either. We did two walks around our pond and she did very well on both. In fact it is quickly obvious to me she prefers to be outside. Then some playtime on the front lawn with my other neighbors dog (are we tired yet?) She is crashed on the family room floor at the moment. She was very frisky by this evening and even going to various people when called and climbing in their laps. I called the breeder last night and told her of my concern and she said the mom and dad were very shy as pups too and to give it a couple weeks. The dad and mom are not at all shy now. Hopefully we are on the right track

Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,175,696 times
Smile Your new puppy

She sounds wonderful and is sweet. Just nervous. Dogs like this love children and dogs are so smart anyway - they know bad from good. Send us a picture of her!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Speaking of puppies..we have 11 newborns.

A 9week old puppy eh and your crating it which in some ways are good but right now may not be good.. I would suggest you put some blankets in a small box of course big enough for the pup not to get out.. lay the box beside your bed close to you..not to step on it.. this way the pup feels close to its new mommy..(I would do this for a couple of weeks til the pup is comfortable in your home) depending on how big the crate is it could be making him feel uncomfortable..one other way to make it feel comfortable is... holding the pup in your lap best way for dogs to know people love them is holding it.. all of our doggies are lap dogs.. so spoiled it isn't even funny. although they break your legs when laying on your lap..lol
What breed is your pup?
Well this 9 week old puppy is almost if not 20 lbs (she was 15 at 6 weeks) so I doubt a box could contain her She is already taking stairs two at a time and leaped off a planter wall in our back yard today which made me almost faint! The main problem is she doesn't like the crate ( I think) although she was fine in it the first night. Second night a nightmare. She really came around today so hopefully she will not be so psycho when it comes to the crate.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
She sounds wonderful and is sweet. Just nervous. Dogs like this love children and dogs are so smart anyway - they know bad from good. Send us a picture of her!
She really is sweet! I have no idea how to post pictures. Let me see if I can figure it out The computer and I don't have the best relationship a lot of the time!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:35 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,206,535 times
Here's how to post pictures:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/814124-post3.html

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 PM

836 posts, read 3,369,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Well this 9 week old puppy is almost if not 20 lbs (she was 15 at 6 weeks) so I doubt a box could contain her She is already taking stairs two at a time and leaped off a planter wall in our back yard today which made me almost faint! The main problem is she doesn't like the crate ( I think) although she was fine in it the first night. Second night a nightmare. She really came around today so hopefully she will not be so psycho when it comes to the crate.

Ahhh ok..lol I know where your coming from.. I have great danes.. now 13 of them..lol 2 adults 11puppies.. so I completely understand the size part.. but Im glad to hear he is coming around and hopefully that gets better day by day..
This is my puppy..below...he just turned a year old this month and weighs 170lbs...and still has alot of growing to do.. (he is also daddy to all puppies we just had..)
Attached Thumbnails
Our Puppy is Home.....-dscf4664.jpg  

Old 06-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Ahhh ok..lol I know where your coming from.. I have great danes.. now 13 of them..lol 2 adults 11puppies.. so I completely understand the size part.. but Im glad to hear he is coming around and hopefully that gets better day by day..
This is my puppy..below...he just turned a year old this month and weighs 170lbs...and still has alot of growing to do.. (he is also daddy to all puppies we just had..)
I love Danes Our old neighbors had a lovely one black and white named Jake. Sadly they went through a divorce and the man fought to keep Jake only to torment the lady and once he had him would leave him for days with no food or water. Made me sick and the collective neighbors had him taken in for animal abuse. They picked Jake up then too and I pray that the lady came to take Jake. He was an awesome dog!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,887,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Thanks for the wonderful web sites. I read them and got busy Since she is already 9 weeks according to the links you sent she is closing in on her socialization window! So I had my son bring all his buddies over this am and they sat on the screened in porch with her. She was behind a table but she did not hide her face. She was very interested in what was going on. Then my son put her in his lap and pet her slowly while he and his friends talked in even tones. She did not seemed stressed at all. Then we went to my neighbors for a playdate with her 2 year old GSD. Shiloh was not afraid of him at all and was quite spunky and did not back down from him. She even had him in the submissive position at one point. My neighbor and I were not sure who was the alpha there Then home to a ringing door bell where every child in the neighborhood wanted to see the new puppy. She sat under a stool but let every single person pet her and she gave them all kisses. Did not leave her shelter but did not hide either. We did two walks around our pond and she did very well on both. In fact it is quickly obvious to me she prefers to be outside. Then some playtime on the front lawn with my other neighbors dog (are we tired yet?) She is crashed on the family room floor at the moment. She was very frisky by this evening and even going to various people when called and climbing in their laps. I called the breeder last night and told her of my concern and she said the mom and dad were very shy as pups too and to give it a couple weeks. The dad and mom are not at all shy now. Hopefully we are on the right track
It sounds like you've got all of the bases covered! Despite her preference to be outside, giving her inside-the-house training now will pay off when she's older, because she'll know the expectations for each and will know how to behave.

Nice job, and keep the photos coming. I can't wait to see how she looks in a few weeks. She's gonna be gorgeous!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs