Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:22 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,018,801 times

Advertisements

All puppies are "mouthy". Some breeds more so than others. All dogs use their mouths when playing. It is natural. You can see it by watching them play with other dogs.

Allowing a puppy to nip and be mouthy (i.e., play biting hands and stuff like that) is like a future death sentence for your dog....

In today's world, one mistake, one bite, no matter how small or playful could be all it takes for your dog to lose his life.

So, what is the best way to teach a puppy (or any dog) that mouthing is inappropriate?

There's a lot of people getting dogs for the first time needing this very important information. Anyone have a surefire training method for teaching "no bite" ????

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-27-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,339,868 times
When my pup "mouths", I give him a flat palm in front of his face and tell him "no".

Old 06-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Some trainers suggest "yelping".

Anyone find "yelping" like a puppy to be successful to communicate with their dogs "Ouch" when they do mouth?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,873,116 times
All puppies bite – they explore with their mouths. Often, when a puppy goes to his home before 10 weeks or so they don’t get to learn ‘bite inhibition’ from their mother and siblings. Thus, you’re going to have to teach him.

Have him in a puppy safe place, where you can leave him, without him getting into trouble and where he can’t see you when you leave (a gated kitchen is ideal). Start playing, and when he nips too hard, YELP! like a puppy and LEAVE. Just for a minute. Repeat while he’s playing with you. He’ll learn quickly that when he bites too hard the game is OVER and he loses you! This really works.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:27 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,759,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
All puppies bite – they explore with their mouths. Often, when a puppy goes to his home before 10 weeks or so they don’t get to learn ‘bite inhibition’ from their mother and siblings. Thus, you’re going to have to teach him.

Have him in a puppy safe place, where you can leave him, without him getting into trouble and where he can’t see you when you leave (a gated kitchen is ideal). Start playing, and when he nips too hard, YELP! like a puppy and LEAVE. Just for a minute. Repeat while he’s playing with you. He’ll learn quickly that when he bites too hard the game is OVER and he loses you! This really works.
That what I do. It only took a few YELPs. He really doesn't want to hurt his momma!!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 AM

5,093 posts, read 12,552,370 times
Default Bite Inhibition article

Below is a link you can copy and paste to an articla about Bite Inhibition.
yelping has worked well with the dogs I have worked with but it has to be a good yelp, a friend of mine can't seem to get the correct yelp so the puppy does not stop but stops if I yelp.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...Inhibition.php

Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Great link. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Below is a link you can copy and paste to an articla about Bite Inhibition.
yelping has worked well with the dogs I have worked with but it has to be a good yelp, a friend of mine can't seem to get the correct yelp so the puppy does not stop but stops if I yelp.

Dog Tip: Bite Inhibition -- an Essential Part of Socialization
People don't realize how important this is... and that dog laws don't differentiate between a tiny scratch and a full blown mauling. To the law, a tiny scratch is a bite. And in many towns dogs are not given a second chance.

I'm bringing home a new furbaby today. It's been a while since I trained a puppy... I spent last night reading up on the breed and trying to remember everything I once knew about training.

He's a lab puppy from the Humane Society... and, I have two pet birds!...

Pray for me~!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:27 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,148,500 times
Yelping is a good way, it worked with Roxy when she was a pup
Also, if you watch interaction of mother with her pups, she will correct her pup by gently putting her mouth over pups muzzle. With this said, i did use a technique few times with some success. When puppy bites, put your fingers around puppy's mouth and lightly press it to keep his mouth close, keep it there for a while repeating "NO bite" command. You must do it very quickly, otherwise, puppy wont understand why you're doing this. Dogs have very short memory span when it comes to corrections, puppies even shorter, so every correction must be done in seconds.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:00 PM

I picked him up about 5 hours ago. He's adorable.

So far (in the last 5 hours) that has not been an issue but he IS a normal, healthy puppy... and they neutered him today so he's not totally himself yet.

I've got big plans for this sweet little guy!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,148,500 times
Well, congratulations on a new addition and best of luck to you and your pup!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs