U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,773,640 times

Advertisements

The shar-pei I adopted from a kill shelter is very sweet, and plays with the neighbor dogs, running in circles, etc....however when Kimora gets excited, she never barks I am wondering if the previous owners did something to her vocal cords?.....

she is safe and happy now but was abused by her original owners.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:17 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,980,702 times
Dogs can be de-barked, a barbaric procedure IMHO, but check with your vet.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,657,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The shar-pei I adopted from a kill shelter is very sweet, and plays with the neighbor dogs, running in circles, etc....however when Kimora gets excited, she never barks I am wondering if the previous owners did something to her vocal cords?.....

she is safe and happy now but was abused by her original owners.
It is possible that the original owners may have altered her vocal cords. In Socal, there are a few vets that do that b/c the owners want to get into an exclusive apartment, condo, or community. It's a shame those owners do that! What the states should enforce is that if this is done, then the owners must do the same on themselves! IMO!!!!

Check with your vet to see if it has been done. It should be a quick check, I hope. Good luck!!!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:10 PM

485 posts, read 1,769,289 times
Sometimes adopted dogs don't bark for quite a while.

My greyhounds didn't bark for months after being adopted, and my Mothra-in-Law's greyhound didn't bark for three years!

When she did, it scared her so bad she hid under the bed.

My current pit bull has just started to bark, nearly a year after I adopted her.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,962,305 times
Our dog that was found as stray wandering in the country didn't bark for quite a while either. I think it was a matter of becoming comfortable with his new territory and once he did he would bark and claim it as his. Sadly, we've heard of the vocal cord removal procedure too. As previously stated, your vet can determine this for you.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,215,112 times
Mine too. She had a funny screechy-type sound at first, but after a few months she "found" her voice.

She now has a normal bark and uses it more and more . When overly excited though, she reverts to that screechy sound.

I think it's a good idea to ask your vet if she's been de-barked, but otherwise I'd just give her time to find her voice .

Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 10,175,719 times
I have heard debarked dogs bark they make a quiter huff type noise inplace of a loud bark Phoenix the deaf vision impaired aussie I adopted must have been debarked by her previous owner. When I met her at the humane society she would huff and when I asked if she was debarked the dog trainer out there told me , Oh no she is deaf so she never learned how to bark...as if the mother dog sits the puppies down and says ok pups this is how we bark....woooof can you all say woof? I have heard plenty of deaf dogs with normal barks. I had my vet check her as she also tended to gag alot when she ate and he said she had been debarked. She races around my dad's yard at times " huffing" at nothing yet she acts like there is something there so I joke and tell my dad that with her strange eyes ( light blue yes with starburst pupils) that she sees the spirit world and is barking at all the dogs and cats that keep showing up in his yard

Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,222,571 times
We had a sweet as sugar Cocker Spaniel rescue that we adopted at age 11. Her foster family said she never barked (they had her for a year...hard to adopt-out dogs that age). We asked our vet if she was de-barked and he said absolutely not.

The only time she made a peep was when our other dog went to the rainbow bridge. She made kind of a very weak murmar sound (hard to explain). She did that for about a month. She never barked ever. She is gone now. I miss her.

Shanny

Old 07-01-2008, 02:40 PM

82 posts, read 386,725 times
Dashdog is correct: a debarked dog will still "bark" but the sound will be much quieter depending on the level of debark. I have a dog that was debarked before I got her and it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

I have mixed feelings about debarking. I believe that the majority of dogs can be trained to minimize barking, but there are a select few just seem to enjoy the sound of their own voice, something which may be annoying to the neighbors even if the dog is kept indoors. I'd say that given the choice between giving up a dog and having a dog debarked, debarking should at least be considered. Again, it doesn't seem to bother my debarked dog in the least although I would never have chosen to get it done.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:41 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,980,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternMkt View Post
Dashdog is correct: a debarked dog will still "bark" but the sound will be much quieter depending on the level of debark. I have a dog that was debarked before I got her and it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

I have mixed feelings about debarking. I believe that the majority of dogs can be trained to minimize barking, but there are a select few just seem to enjoy the sound of their own voice, something which may be annoying to the neighbors even if the dog is kept indoors. I'd say that given the choice between giving up a dog and having a dog debarked, debarking should at least be considered. Again, it doesn't seem to bother my debarked dog in the least although I would never have chosen to get it done.
I once had a shock collar for an dog (outside when I was at work) that barked a lot. It was the only solution at the time but I have since regretted it. Now, all my dogs are inside when I am gone (the better to protect the house and to protect them from the heat) so I have one less thing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs