Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:35 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,428 times

Advertisements

your dog wasn't fixed?

I hope I'm not opening Pandora's box...

I adopted Beesley at 3 years and the shelter knew nothing of his past because he was a stray. I wish I would have known him as a puppy!

Sometimes I secretly wish he wasn't fixed so I could always have a little Beesley or Beezette running around even after The Beeze is gone. He's such a funny dog and I know I'll never find another like him again!

I know him being fixed is a good thing, though. There are so many other dogs out there that need homes, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Naw, because his pups may not be anything like him...

Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,130 times
plus you'll have to deal with more problems than just spitting out kids..

Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
I would have loved to have known Artie as a puppy also. I'm sure that if I had Artie from the very beginning, he'd be a totally different dog -- in good ways. He'd be socialized. He'd be calmer. He'd be many good things. He obviously has many good qualities now, but I would like to think that he wouldn't have the bad qualities had he not been abused as a puppy.

Regardless of the good vs. the bad, I'm happy that he's fixed. I don't like the idea of there being more puppies without homes in the world.

And, most importantly, you've got a dog who's funny and a great love of yours. Should you have another dog -- whether it be while The Beeze is still around or, ECH!, after -- THAT dog will have many wonderful qualities too. Maybe he won't be the same as Beeze -- how could he; genetics isn't even a guarantee of that -- but there will something unique in THAT dog that will be precious to you.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,096 times
Bella is such a beautiful girl and has very good blood lines with show champions and genetics/health BUT she will be fixed after her 1st birthday. One reason of course because there are so many dogs out there but also because I dont have the experience/knowledge and MONEY to do it properly. What if something went wrong or even if it didn't. It costs alot to do it right and I know you don't make money off of it if you do it the right way.

But I do understand what you mean MA. She would make such pretty pups and I think she would be a good momma.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
your dog wasn't fixed?

I hope I'm not opening Pandora's box...

I adopted Beesley at 3 years and the shelter knew nothing of his past because he was a stray. I wish I would have known him as a puppy!

Sometimes I secretly wish he wasn't fixed so I could always have a little Beesley or Beezette running around even after The Beeze is gone. He's such a funny dog and I know I'll never find another like him again!

I know him being fixed is a good thing, though. There are so many other dogs out there that need homes, too!
Yes, I've felt that way. I think it is a natural wish when one has a "once in a lifetime" furbaby. However, each animal has its own personality and as much as we will wish no two will ever be exactly alike.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Cloning makes more sense. There's a couple who paid $100k to have the Koreans give 'em their dog back.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
PC is like Bella, his father is a show champion and continues to dominate in the ring. They had high hopes for PC as well, but we declined that "lifestyle" since we wanted a pet that enjoys life and is not forced to perform and be judged.

That said, he was neutered at 8 months. Several reasons, things like humping (which completely stopped post neuter) and our breeder contract, which stated that he must be neutered by 1. In fact, had we bred him behind his back, he would have taken him away. Happened with one of PC's sisters. Idiots bred and tried to register, and were found out. Puppies and dog were taken away, per the contract.

You can't guarantee that the offspring will be anything like your dog. PC and his 4 sisters were nothing alike, which means only one or two of them were like the parents. The others had their own distinct personalities. What you can guarantee is that you'll continue to spread whatever disease your dog may have if you don't do health testing. Allergies, hotspots, hip issues, skin issues, etc. can almost always be traced back to the parents.

I was very glad to have him from 8 weeks. I met him at 5 weeks, and saw pictures of him hours after birth all the way up to meeting him. We have a bond like I can't believe. He's my heart dog and I can guarantee that in my lifetime, I will never have another PC. He's my one and only puppy, we'll never get another again mostly because he was that easy to deal with. I'm just very fortunate to have had this experience with my first dog, he's truly the light of my life.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Cloning makes more sense. There's a couple who paid $100k to have the Koreans give 'em their dog back.
IIRC that didn't turn out well and even the clone had a personality of his own as opposed to the personality of the original dog.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Nope. Nanners was very fertile, I hear. She cranked out the pups on a regular basis, and because of that her boobies are ground draggers now.

Then along came her new daddy and now she can't have puppies anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs