Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,253,485 times

Advertisements

doggie finger brush works!
Cody likes his but he's a silly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 64,409 times
Default Wiping your dogs teeth instead of brushing

Anything that you can Brush off you can wipe off. Using a damp wash cloth works really well. The problem with pet tooth paste is it taste like food ....they want to eat it. This can distract them and make it harder for you. They are trying to eat you are trying provide dental care. They move their head around you get frustrated and the dental care goes out the window. I have done thousands of dentals. there are several different styles of home dental care . We just need to find the one that is right for you

Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM

324 posts, read 878,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndstooth View Post
Anything that you can Brush off you can wipe off. Using a damp wash cloth works really well. The problem with pet tooth paste is it taste like food ....they want to eat it. This can distract them and make it harder for you. They are trying to eat you are trying provide dental care. They move their head around you get frustrated and the dental care goes out the window. I have done thousands of dentals. there are several different styles of home dental care . We just need to find the one that is right for you
Yes, that's exactly what happens and it's very frustrating. It doesn't seem like it works well at all which is why I was looking for some other ideas. So you're suggesting not using a paste and just wiping at the teeth? Does that get off the plaque? We'll definitely give it a try.

Also, I gave my lab a bright bites dental treat and she loved it. She chewed and chewed on it until it was gone. It seemed to do a good job and really scrape at her teeth while she was chewing. I'm a fan.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,602 times
Another raw feeder! My dogs teeth are perfect with this diet! My moms dog had horrible teeth... She had to put him under to get them cleaned. I convinced her to switch her dog to raw and his teeth are cleaner and whiter than ever before! The natural way works best for our pets.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:58 PM

380 posts, read 649,145 times
Not a raw feeder myself, but I do feed a raw lamb femur once per week, which it takes him about an hour to put away. Lots of good crunching involved.

Aside from that I give him deer antlers to chew on, but it's sometimes a challenge to keep his interest in them. (I have to soak/boil them in stock sometimes.) I also give him retriever rolls, but I think those are more to appease his urge to chew than to actually clean his teeth.

I bought one of those finger brushes and tried it exactly once. Seemed useless. I get compliments on the whiteness of his teeth -- from the vets and from strangers -- so I'm not too worried about it.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:09 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,205,303 times
Bear and Angel have always gotten thier teeth bushed just before bedtime.

It is just a part of thier day.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,346,260 times
I brush my dogs' teeth with a finger brush, but I don't remember every day. That wasn't a problem when my boy Jake was alive, because he'd remind me to do it. Then sometimes he'd remind me again later, but that was a "no".

Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM

455 posts, read 1,233,563 times
Our dog doesn't mind me brushing his teeth, but I stopped doing it. I took a step back and thought how do the wild dogs of Africa or the Dingo clean their teeth.

He gets raw knuckle joints I buy from the local butcher, and the denta sticks. I know wild dogs can't go shopping either, but I see it as a healthy treat.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,519,260 times
I thought I would add to my previous post.

Have a new dog in our pack...new as a two years ago...but her teeth are so goofy (reverse scissor bite) that her poor young teeth looked worse than our older dogs. I started trying to brush her teeth...she's improved but still wiggles too much for me to scrap her teeth. We've been using Petzlife Oral Products for about 9 months and it has made dramatic positive improvements on her plaque! We use it on all three of our dogs at bedtime, although recommendations from the company are to use twice daily. We also only use the spray as our dogs do not like the salmon flavored gel. It's easier for us to administer at bed time, because per product instructions dogs should not eat or drink "30 minutes before or after application". I still brush/scrap the dogs teeth maybe once every 6 weeks, although for faster results, the company recommends brushing teeth every 3-4th day. We thought we'd take a gamble and try this product and we love it! We do not like the idea of putting our dogs under with anesthesia for cleanings at the vet. This has been an affordable easier option that is now simply part of our bed time routine. I know this totally sounds like an ad, but it's simply an option that has worked great for us.

PetzLife Oral Care - Natural Pet Products, Dog Dental Care - PetzLife

Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 PM

757 posts, read 1,322,895 times
check the thread called do you brush your dogs teeth, I posted a pic of my dog's teeth. They are like that from big thigh bones from a cow. A tooth brush will not get that hard tartar off the teeth, and most likely the dog will not sit still long enough for you to get a good brushing to keep the gums healthy.

Real Raw Bones. Very inexpensive and great for the dog. (smaller bones for a smaller dog)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs