Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,739 times

Advertisements

Eco Concepts Bunkhouse Dog House, Large-ECOH101L at The Home Depot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Sunset, not trying to be nosy but where do you live? I mean just generally. Knowing what winter and summer weather is like where you are would let people give you a better idea of how to care for this outside dog that I guess you're determined to get.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Sunset, not trying to be nosy but where do you live? I mean just generally. Knowing what winter and summer weather is like where you are would let people give you a better idea of how to care for this outside dog that I guess you're determined to get.
No snow in the winter.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-16-2012 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 PM

Well, I found what looks like the same dog house on Amazon and several people said the pieces broke easily and were easily chewed. Also if you go with a Lab, you'll want the extra large size so the dog can stretch out. Maybe someone here knows dog houses, I don't.

Amazon.com: NewAgePet eCo-Concepts BunkHouse Style Extra Large Dog House: Pet Supplies

Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
I think one with the door to the side would be preferable. The dog could either curl up and hide/stay warm and dry, or stick his face out.

as a suggestion/example-don't know why I can't get a link but

Precision Large Country Club Cabin Dog House - Dog Houses at Hayneedle

hope that does it. If not, just google images of doghouses and it'll come up.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
For a plastic dog house in a hurry....just cut the end of a 55 gallon barrel about half way out.

Many people buy their dog house to large.

Smaller houses keep the body heat in the house.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Many people buy their dog house to large.

Smaller houses keep the body heat in the house.
I was thinking that, but since OP says there's no snow where he lives I'm assuming hot weather in the summer could be more of an issue. Then, I guess you'd want more air circuation around the dog? I have no familiarity with this, I'm just trying to think it through.
And if this is really a full-time outside dog, I think s/he deserves better than a cut-off barrel.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I was thinking that, but since OP says there's no snow where he lives I'm assuming hot weather in the summer could be more of an issue. Then, I guess you'd want more air circuation around the dog? I have no familiarity with this, I'm just trying to think it through.
And if this is really a full-time outside dog, I think s/he deserves better than a cut-off barrel.
Just saying a barrel will work in a pinch.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
i was thinking that, but since op says there's no snow where he lives i'm assuming hot weather in the summer could be more of an issue. Then, i guess you'd want more air circuation around the dog? I have no familiarity with this, i'm just trying to think it through.
And if this is really a full-time outside dog, i think s/he deserves better than a cut-off barrel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0027.jpg
Views:	5333
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	101120

You can see one in this picture on the left.

This is one for Ape to have at his "grandmothers".

These at just a heavy as the ones in the link and cost $15 or, less.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Using Barrel is CRUEL Weather to hot will BAKE the dog & to cold will freeze them! Doent matter if its plastic or metal. Major problem they are Not insulated to help hold the dogs body heat OR Black the hot sun!

I used those plastic dog houses just as shelter for my dogs during the day. LAW Even IF the dog goes out to potty you have to have a dog house. BUT the plastic ones were not insulated enough! I actually fried a egg on them one time! Basicly they were for show.

Best Dog house is Wooden & insulated with styrofome NOT the pink stuff! In Windy areas make it like the $169 house the off set door lets the dog get away from the wind. And it dont matter what you put in for bedding IF the dog is tied hes going to drag it out! Dont use carpet...gets wet & stays wet.

Sunset is there a Reason you cant have the dog as an inside pet? Will he have Freedom or be chained? When my gdad had dogs they were Always outside BUT they were Never alone sun up to sun set they were with my Gdad working around the farm at night they were also free to roam go to the barn with the other animals etc. My gdad dogs lived 25to 30 years so he must have done something right!

It does sound like you thinking of the dogs comfort... fancy dog houses dont work as well LOVE tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs