U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 PM

325 posts, read 369,548 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what everyone has found to be the best way to keep their dog's teeth clean. I have a 5 year old lab who does not like having her teeth brushed (though we try) so I was looking for some other tips. We give her bones which she loves and they seem to help and I want to try a dental treat like bright bites. Does anyone use these? The vet has not mentioned a problem with her teeth but I'd still love some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM

3,423 posts, read 6,720,946 times
My dogs eat raw and part of that are raw bones, best toothbrush!
I've never ever had their teeth cleaned, they are white and sparkly! My female is 4.5 and my male is 5!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,385,717 times
We have two large dogs that we have worked with to become comfortable with touch and opening their mouths, extra. Treat training is always a plus. We use a human plaque scraper (bought in the dental area of stores) and I scrap their teeth about once a week. Once you remove the plaque it is important to swipe it on a tissue or napkin. You don't want them swallowing it and clogging up their heart valves. As I scrap...I give them small little treats here and there for being good and letting me handle their mouths. This is what a vet friend of ours suggested we do to avoid having dental cleaning at our vet. We don't want to put our dogs under for the procedure. After I scrap their teeth, I then brush them with beef flavored toothpaste (bought at PeatSmart~which they love) and then I follow it up by giving them a dental bone later that day. I tried a mint flavor toothpaste for dogs and they totally hated it. As I brush their teeth, I allow them to lick the toothpaste here and there so it seems fun in between me brushing. They get lots of praise. It took one of my dogs a while to come around. It isn't his favorite event...but he sure likes to hear "good boy" and get a treat!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:45 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,833,203 times
We buy bones at the grocery store, real bones, in the meat department. They sell them for around $1.00 for 2 or 3 of them. Our dog LOVES to chew on them, they last a long time and she has very white, clean teeth.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,769,702 times
If your dog doesn't take to dog toothbrushes, you can do for them what peole do for human babies: get some gauze from the drugstore and wind it around a finger. Then, with or without toothpaste, you can simply 'scrub' your dog's teeth with your gauze covered finger.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Using gauze instead of a toothbrush sounds like a good idea. She might take to that more easily. I would like to hold off on a professional cleaning for as long as possible. I also have concerns with having her put under for the procedure. We give her bones and I think that has helped a lot. No one mentioned giving dental treats. Do they work? The one that I mentioned is supposed to help with plaque and tartar so it sounds like it would be really helpful.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM

3,730 posts, read 8,181,101 times
You could also try the rubber finger toothbrushes, less invasive than some of the dog toothbrushes.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 PM

315 posts, read 604,140 times
Raw feeder here and the bones do the tick for my dogs also.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:05 PM

7,185 posts, read 5,632,664 times
I give our youngest pug Nylabones, the bristles raised during the chewing helps with tartar and such. I tried the finger brush thing, even got some beef flavored doggie toothpaste...she was having none of it.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 PM

I've seen the finger brushes at the store but we haven't tried it. I'll keep those in mind too to try out. Hopefully the bones and bright bites will be a good supplement and she gets used to the brushing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs