Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,116 times

Advertisements

I myself love mixxed breed dogs. I myself am getting a Chihuahua Shih Tzu mix puppy from my mothers good friend who sent her dogs away to be bred by another friend. She is giving us our puppy for FREE, and she is Not like some of the breeders some of you people talk about, the ones who care nothing of the puppy, becasue they CARE for their pets and their puppies. They are NOT just in it for the money. I suggest that you stop criticizing and start thinking. The fault is in the dog owners who treat dogs poorly leaving them but no other place than a shelter to be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 11:11 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,237,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllYouHaveToDoIsThink View Post
I myself love mixxed breed dogs. I myself am getting a Chihuahua Shih Tzu mix puppy from my mothers good friend who sent her dogs away to be bred by another friend. She is giving us our puppy for FREE, and she is Not like some of the breeders some of you people talk about, the ones who care nothing of the puppy, becasue they CARE for their pets and their puppies. They are NOT just in it for the money. I suggest that you stop criticizing and start thinking. The fault is in the dog owners who treat dogs poorly leaving them but no other place than a shelter to be!

Please don't buy (or get) one from a "breeder." People who purposely breed mutts are only in it to make money, despite how nicely they treat the dogs. The dogs they breed aren't going to be properly tested to help eliminate any genetic issues that the parents may have. They're also not going to be the best example of their respective breeds, because no reputable breeder will breed mutts. More than that, there aren't any set characteristics of a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua mix because they don't breed true, there aren't any standards, and once again, because they're mutts. So if you're choosing one because it won't shed, for example, that's not necessarily going to be true.

Buying from a backyard breeder such as this contributes to the pet overpopulation problem in the US where millions of dogs are put down each year because there aren't enough homes.
Can you tell us what you're looking for in a dog? What specifically do you like about Shih Tzus? What specifically do you like about Chihuahuas? We could definitely help you find a reputable breeder for either of those two breeds. Or help you find a mix in a shelter. Many of the posters here do a ton of rescue work and have great resources for helping others find great dogs that are in need of homes

Breeder Vs Shelter/Rescue (http://thebarkingdog.dutchbingo.net/breeder.htm - broken link)

Breeder/Breeding Information

Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 AM

167 posts, read 595,458 times
This is a very emotionally charged topic for so many. My opinion and observation is that there are breeders of both pure breed dogs and mutt dogs that are just in it for the money. There are also those who are not just in it for the money, one cannot generalize all into one category. I believe that historically, if you follow many of the breeds back, they are the result of cross breeding with the goal being to produce certain attributes needed for various working dog skill sets. THIS STATEMENT IS NOT MEANT TO CONDONE BACK YARD BREEDING OR ANY OTHER BREEDING - ONLY A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE BREEDER WHO THOROUGHLY UNDERSTANDS GENETICS, ETC CAN ACCOMPLISH THIS, AND EVEN THEN IT IS RISKY.

Having said that, my recommendation to ANYONE wanting to get a dog is to thoroughly invstigate all shelters and rescues in your area before even considering going to a breeder. There are so many pure breeds and mixed breeds in shelters and rescues that need homes. Why enlist a breeder and create more dogs when there are so many in need of homes. Yes it might take a little more time and effort, but your new best friend is certainly worth that. MAK had a good suggestion when she said to tell us what you are looking for and someone on this forum will be able to connect you with the dog of your dreams, one that already has been born and will be so greatful to have a home with you.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:03 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,588,028 times
I think the health testing point is the key here. No matter how nice this breeder is and no matter how great she treats her dogs if she isn't testing them for common issues found in each respective breed, she can't be sure that she isn't passing on diseases with each litter of puppies. At the very least, don't you want a healthy dog if you are going to a breeder? If not, what's the point of going to a breeder? A breeder that is doing health testing will be able to give you that guarantee. And even assuming that watzu or chishis were a recognized breed, if she isn't showing them, if they don't have titles, how can she know if her dogs are good representations of the breed? And if you don't care about titles or any of that, then why wouldn't you just go to a shelter? Shelters/rescues do have puppies and any breed mix imaginable, you can find in a shelter/rescue. And you will pay a fraction of what you will pay a breeder.

Not that the money is a big issue, but like anything else think about what you're supporting with your money. As far as the "once they are here" argument, it HAS to start somewhere. When it becomes unprofitable for the breeder they will stop breeding.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:08 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,925 times
Quote:
Supporting a "breeder" who intentionally mixes these designer dogs is a poor choice imo. A good breeder breeds to better the breed. Don't kid yourself, they are in it for the money, as there is no other purpose.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,938,879 times
Quote:
why on earth would she do THAT?? other than to SELL cute little mixed breed pups with cute little made-up "breed" names?? these dogs are NOT new breeds.... there is no standardization, no set conformation, NOTHING.... except greedy backyard breeders eager to make a profit off of gullible buyers who fall for the cute pup and the fancy name.......

so you get one "free" pup out of a litter of what..... 3 or 4 or 5?? that leaves the other pups to be sold to whoever has the cash available......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Supporting a "breeder" who intentionally mixes these designer dogs is a poor choice imo. A good breeder breeds to better the breed. Don't kid yourself, they are in it for the money, as there is no other purpose.

yep.......

Old 12-20-2009, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,981 times
Smile Tzu/Chihuahua mix

[quote=skbs;4589568]Anyone have a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua mix? I have one and he is the cutest thing on the face of the earth... When we were looking for dogs I found an ad for a WATZU and just HAD to find out what a watzu was and ended up falling in love at first sight... I am wondering if any of you have a watzu, and if you do not call your mix a watzu, what DO you call it? As I cannot find information on Watzus specificially... I think the name is made up...[/quote

Ihave one of these little adorable creatures too! And yes she is spoiled too! Wouldn't have it any other way. She even sleeps with me, inside the covers!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,351,655 times
Reps spread a good bit in this thread!!

Please don't buy mixed breed mutts. It doesn't matter how cute their made up breed name is. It doesn't matter how nice the 'breeder' is. If they are intentionally coming up with puppies of mixed breed they are irresponsible, unethical, back yard breeders, period.

There are plenty dogs of that mix sitting in shelters dying. Be a mature, responsible adult and make a sound decision. Adopt. Purchasing a mixed breed puppy is so pointless for anything other than wanting to show it off to someone. And people bringing them home to show them off tend to get tired of them in the first couple years and dump them in shelters or give them to other people. These dogs are bounced home to home and usually wind up either as bait dogs or sitting in shelters.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:07 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,829,217 times
I revisited this thread today.... to say yesterday my beloved Bud was hit by a car and passed away. And I would not do anything different.... he was the most gentle, loving, kind, caring, sweet and devoted animal I have ever had. He had this little smile on his face and was always wagging his tail..... he was the most cuddely animal.... always ready with kisses.... He was so handsome.... I don't care if he was a mutt- or mixed breed that some people don't think should be sold.... I am so very thankful God gave him to me to love....to be his mother.... he made my life so wonderful.... so happy.... he will forever and always be the most amazing and perfect angel of a dog..... he was perfect........

Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,366,226 times
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry, he was so young, he was a cutie, very sorry to hear this. Take care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs