U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 178,551 times

Advertisements

My dog's nail was chipped off, its now hanging on. She was running around outside and then i heard a bit of a scream so i let my dog come back and i saw blood on one of her nails. Im scared to cut her nail off that it will bring to much pain and if i dont it will still bring her pain and shes really scared of the dog's nail clipper even when she didnt have the nail hanging off she would run away and hide.
* I dont think we can go to the vet because its really expensive here but if i have no other choice i think i could go =.=
Here are some picture of how it looks like:

- please give me some advice on what i can do to lessen the pain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,017,736 times
I can't see this pictures. How bad is it bleeding? Is it the whole nail that is hanging? If it just chipped you can get a dry gel at the pet store that will stop the bleeding. If it's in to the meat of your dogs foot, you need to take him to the vet.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM

its not on the meat of the toe theres still part of the base of the nail there, should i cut it off after the bleeding stopped?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,017,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycvincex View Post
its not on the meat of the toe theres still part of the base of the nail there, should i cut it off after the bleeding stopped?
Yes if it's hanging you will need to cut it off or it will get snagged on something and maybe rip it more. Has it stopped bleeding already?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Yes if it's hanging you will need to cut it off or it will get snagged on something and maybe rip it more. Has it stopped bleeding already?
i think so, but the nail is still wet with blood

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM

1,479 posts, read 7,032,481 times
Sometimes dogs catch their nail on something and rip it out at the nail bed. Generally it does grow back. The photos are pretty blurry, so it's hard to tell what the nail looks like. Since you think your dog's nail is still attached to the nail bed, wipe away the dried blood and see if you can tell where the crack is. The nail is probably broken at or in the quick (the vein that runs through the nail) which is what caused the bleeding in the first place. You can try to clip the broken part of the nail without cutting again into the quick. Cutting into the quick will be painful and the nail may bleed more, so be prepared. Clipping off the broken part may help the split from worsening, causing more pain. The good thing is that the quick will heal and even recede a bit past the break. Keep an eye on the nail for a few days to make sure there's no infection. If she's still experiencing pain and/or not walking normally on it in a day or so you probably should seek veterinary advice.

By the way, one benefit of keeping your dog's nails clipped regularly is the fact that the quick will recede so you can get the nails shorter and shorter over time. That reduces the likelihood of something like this happening again. Some dogs hate clippers but will tolerate having their nails done with a grinder. A nail grinder--a dremel tool with a barrel sanding tip--allows you to better gauge how far to take the nail down.

If you search the forum you'll find a discussion on how to use a grinder.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,517,375 times
First, get your dog to the vet. S/He needs to have a look at the tissue damage and can prescribe some pain meds for your dog.

Then take a look at this site on information regarding use of the Dremel tool to file/grind your dog's nails: How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com (http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html - broken link)

Hope he's doing better soon.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Sometimes dogs catch their nail on something and rip it out at the nail bed. Generally it does grow back. The photos are pretty blurry, so it's hard to tell what the nail looks like. Since you think your dog's nail is still attached to the nail bed, wipe away the dried blood and see if you can tell where the crack is. The nail is probably broken at or in the quick (the vein that runs through the nail) which is what caused the bleeding in the first place. You can try to clip the broken part of the nail without cutting again into the quick. Cutting into the quick will be painful and the nail may bleed more, so be prepared. Clipping off the broken part may help the split from worsening, causing more pain. The good thing is that the quick will heal and even recede a bit past the break. Keep an eye on the nail for a few days to make sure there's no infection. If she's still experiencing pain and/or not walking normally on it in a day or so you probably should seek veterinary advice.

By the way, one benefit of keeping your dog's nails clipped regularly is the fact that the quick will recede so you can get the nails shorter and shorter over time. That reduces the likelihood of something like this happening again. Some dogs hate clippers but will tolerate having their nails done with a grinder. A nail grinder--a dremel tool with a barrel sanding tip--allows you to better gauge how far to take the nail down.

If you search the forum you'll find a discussion on how to use a grinder.

thank you, ill cut the loose part of the nail out and how do you see if theres an infection?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,517,375 times
Infections won't be evident at this stage of the game. I'd get your dog to a vet for evaluation and a possible tetanus vaccination. Tetanus is NOT transmitted by rusty nails, but more by the SOIL that's everywhere and to which your dog's open lesion is being constantly exposed! The vet can also give you some antibiotics, just in case, and some pain meds.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 PM

its all better, i took her to the vet and they did stuff :]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or