Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,706,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My dog Janet has a very hard time riding in a cage in my vehicle. I will be moving her to another place 80 miles from here to live with me. Wondering how I'm going to do it because she a nerve wreak and has also been this way. She fights it and also hates dog collars.

Thanks, John
Regarding the Crate:
Hard time? In what way? Barking or complaining somehow? Unable to relax?

Regarding the collar:
Same questions above.
---

Try to have the dog feel comfortable with the crate in a nonthreatening way. Try putting his favorite toy, blankey or giving him treats in the crate.

Regarding the collar:

Is this a dominance problem with the collar itself or the act of walking on a leash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,441,216 times
The biggest problem is unable to relax. She is a nervous wreck now for sure and seams like scared of everything where before Gladys death she wasn't afraid of anything.

John

Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,017,198 times
Regarding your dog's nervousness - remember that dogs respond to our energy. I'm sure you've also been anxious and nervous lately.

Regarding the travelling in the car thing -

Have you tried the dog safety harness seat belts?

It goes on the dog and then you fasten your seat belt through the harness. They recommend that you put them in the back seat. Your dog may not like it at first but you have to have her under control. And, it protects her in the event of an accident.

When I trained my last dog to use one, he did bark and complain at first. It's just a matter of "you're the boss!"... it's for their own good.

Do you happen to know of any dog trainers that might help you ? Someone who will work with you individually - at home???

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-30-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,368,279 times
John, is Janet normally a nervous dog? If there was no collar and no cage around, how is she?

I think it's normal for a dog to be cautious and even a bit reluctant to try something new. There are different approaches to handling their reluctance.

One way is to desensitize the dog to the fear. You do this slowly and over time. Let's use the collar as an example. Leave the collar out in an obvious place where Janet can reach it - maybe the coffee table - just leave it there for a couple of days, don't call attention to it. When the collar becomes a normal part of the "furniture", slip it on Janet's neck for 5 minutes (make sure it's very loose), then take it right back off. Increase the time until she's wearing it full-time (or whatever your goal is).

Not every dog needs to be treated like a delicate flower, dogs are pretty resilient. You know your dog well enough to decide whether you need a gradual, desensitizing approach or whether you can just slip the collar on the dog and say "you're wearing it and I don't want to hear another word about it ". The latter is my usual approach, but I know this method works with my dogs.

Dubh, my most recent dog, was very frightened of cars when we first found her. I'd put her in the back of my car to go to the vet and she'd shake. I pretended that I did not notice her shaking and kept talking to her about how fun it was to be in the car and what a good girl she was. After about 3 car rides, she suddenly fell in love with the car ! Now, if she sees me cleaning out the car she goes crazy wanting to go for a car ride !

As WorldCitizen said, the dogs pick up on our energy .

Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 PM

Nervous when she not even wearing a collar or in a cage. She been like this when got her from dog pound.

John

Old 07-30-2008, 11:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,368,279 times
Using dog treats to create a positive feeling about the collar and crate might help too.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 PM

All I can do is try it.

Thanks, John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs