Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:16 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times

Advertisements

It's not the breed itself, it's the overpopulations of the breed. Goldens/Labs are the 1st choice family pet. Hence, there will be more of them and more news about them, there will be more bad new because good news is just not fun.

As far as "mauled to death", well, i thought you can say that about a big bear, but about a small puppy? Just another way for a media to get their dirty hands on the subject of dogs. I'd like to hear parent's side of the story. Sorry for the innocent baby to suffer, and sorry for the puppy's life destroied due to ignorance of yet another irresponsible human.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Heard about this yesterday, sounds like the puppy thought the baby in the swing was a tug-of-war toy and nipped at him w/ those sharp puppy teeth and may have bitten an artery or vein and he bled to death or possibly knocked the swing over. Supp. the 16 yr old mother was on the other side of the house w/ the grandmother but you'd think one of them would have heard the baby screaming. The puppy was put to sleep although IMO it wasnt his fault, he was just being a puppy and shoudnt have been left unattended w/ the baby (no dog should), how could they leave the baby unattended for so long w/o checking on him. I think today they were doing an autopsy. I just feel so sorry for this poor baby whose life was cut short, what a sad story.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Heard about this yesterday, sounds like the puppy thought the baby in the swing was a tug-of-war toy and nipped at him w/ those sharp puppy teeth and may have bitten an artery or vein and he bled to death or possibly knocked the swing over. Supp. the 16 yr old mother was on the other side of the house w/ the grandmother but you'd think one of them would have heard the baby screaming. The puppy was put to sleep although IMO it wasnt his fault, he was just being a puppy and shoudnt have been left unattended w/ the baby (no dog should), how could they leave the baby unattended for so long w/o checking on him. I think today they were doing an autopsy. I just feel so sorry for this poor baby whose life was cut short, what a sad story.
Thanks for the details Honeycrisp...it sure sheds some light .

Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Next thing I am sure we will here is that the puppy is a pitbull or pitbull mix! UGH! So what lesson is to be learned by this? Will the parents learn anything? No....the poor pup will most likely be eithenized if it has not been already....for what? Human irresponsibility!
I have to agree on this one, this is a case of human irresponsibility.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I've noticed at the park and at the pet store...other people's houses...very few people actually put any time into training their pets. I know with a lot of the popular family dogs, many people just rely on the dog's natural intelligence and good nature...as opposed to taking them to puppy class, obedience class, good citizen training, etc.

The fact that this dog was put down is an inexcusable tragedy. I see that way too much. Dogs being put down because of their owner's irresponsibility.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Although this is a very sad story and very irresponsible of the grandmother whom was supposedly watching the child.. I just don't see a 6WEEK old puppy jumping in to a swing (that usually sits pretty high off the ground) and mauling a 2month old baby..even if the swing sat close to the ground the puppies are usually scared of something that is moving (unless someone was teaching the pup to jump in the swing and bite for fun). I think there is more to the story than people are saying. I have 11 6week old puppies and they can't even jump yet. Now I'm not saying puppies can't bite, because they can. But,This story just doesn't make any since.. Makes ya wonder if the grandmother got tired of hearing the baby cry and maybe put the puppy in the swing with the child and the puppy started chewing on the child since they don't know any better.. and of course if this did happen granny should be in jail!! That was just sinceless that they put this puppy down thinking it was vicious.. good grief..Puppies are like human babies they have to be taught not to bite!! They could have given the pup to someone who could show it love and give it the training it needed!

Old 08-01-2008, 01:47 PM

75 posts, read 378,754 times
I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma where this happened. The "dad" put the baby in the swing before he went to work at 8 AM while the "mom" and grandma were in the other end of the house. The pup was older than stated. It was too big to be a 6 to 8 week old pup.
I own 3 Labs and love them but a youmg, Lab puppy is a hairy barracuda. This one sounds like it was removed from the mom too soon.
Around 6 weeks of age is the first major socialization period for a puppy. They learn bite inhibition from mom and their litter mates. Play too rough and you either get bit by mom/littermate or you get ignored.
Since the baby couldn't respond the pup probably kept on doing what it did, being a "playful" puppy. Bad went to worse and the baby was injured, and since mom didn't check on the baby until 10:30 it didn't take long for a wound to bleed out and the child died.
Supposedly the pup was put down to check for "internal evidence".
Mom & Dad are not the most stellar parents.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:23 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
I have no sympathy for the parents or grandmother whatsoever. My sympathy lies with that cute puppy being carried away, an innocent little creature who did not know he was hurting another innocent creature, the little baby. I hope the parents and grandma go to jail, the blasted idiots. Because of them, two little ones are now deceased.

Maybe mom and granny were sleeping because who in her right mind wouldn't check on a baby from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.? Dad doesn't sound too intelligent either if, in fact, they were asleep and he placed the baby near the dog. Even if they weren't asleep, he should have made sure the dog was elsewhere.

It doesn't matter how hold the dog was; one doesn't leave an animal with a little baby for any reason. Cats have been known to sleep on a baby's face and smother the infant.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM

74 posts, read 138,591 times
Is the puppy OK?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Moderator cut: edit
I would love an update on this....ANYONE HELLO

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-07-2008 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: rude - we are not the reading police
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs