Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Looking for a reputable breeder of collies in or near Texas. Not a common breed.

Tried looking on line, but half the websites haven't been updated in months, if not years, so it's hard to see if they have available litters, etc. Besides, I trust a recommendation of a responsible, caring breeder over what I can read on a seller's webpage.

Appreciate your help (and yes, we want a puppy...and yes, we have checked with rescue orgs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Go to some dog shows and talk to the handlers and owners (after the class, of course). See who's having puppies.

You can see where dog shows are by looking on Infodog online.

Also, check with the Collie Club of the US. They usually have breeder referrals, but these are less trustworthy than checking through people you meet at shows. You'll also learn tons at the dog shows!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Looking for a reputable breeder of collies in or near Texas. Not a common breed.

Tried looking on line, but half the websites haven't been updated in months, if not years, so it's hard to see if they have available litters, etc. Besides, I trust a recommendation of a responsible, caring breeder over what I can read on a seller's webpage.

Appreciate your help (and yes, we want a puppy...and yes, we have checked with rescue orgs).
Check on petfinder.com one will eventually come up for adoption! You can also look in the classifieds on petfinder....someone might have a collie listed in need of a good home or pups for that matter.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Where in TX? TX is big. On 183 somewhere between Luling and Lockhart (central tx) we passed by a farm that has a mural and it says Moderator cut: edit: removed name of breeder I am assuming they are a show dog family/breeder....

Last edited by riveree; 08-02-2008 at 11:35 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Yes, where in Texas? People will do searches for you in here but we need a location. You can PM me.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 PM

Default Location, location, location

We're in DFW area.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Please use Direct Message for breeder recommendations.

We can't make any posts that resemble advertising, it is against City-Data Terms of Service. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I see there is a yahoo group on collies - have you checked them out?

Like many of the other herding breeds there is probably a strong delineation between show and working lines. The judgement is yours. I would not have a dog that came from a dog show background because they are typically bred for looks and not working ability or working conformation.

For German Shepherds we have show dogs with a "floating trot" who cannot trot the 50-60 miles a day the dog was designed to work and are scared of their own shadows. I don't know where this floating trot thing came from - not part of the original standard - yes a trotting dog that single tracks efficienty but "floating?"

For border collies they are breeding out the cowhocks and the stare - attributes appropriate for the work

For Malinois people are trying to have those as pets, God knows why.

There are two lines of all the australian collie type dogs as well.

I don't know about collies but have fond memories of some very ill temperamented collies in the 60s - no doubt - everybody had to have one after "Lassie" when I was a kid and they were probably overbred like dalmations. I do recall the show folks went for extreme narrow heads [they did that to Dobermans too] -

Just a consideration. Breeding for looks is often at the expense of temperament. I bet you could find a good collie in England. Here is a page for some folks in Michigan
Welcome to the HWCA - may or may not be to your liking but a different perspective

Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 AM

We have a collie with an insanely good temperment. She was super easy to train and plays frisbee - that and walks are the extent of her exercise. So it would be more of a family pet for obedience training, possible recreational agility, and frisbee.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:17 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Make sure the parents eyes are CERF. & Hips OFA. lLook for pups that have a broader head & larger eyes than show collies..& even at a young age the eyes should have been CERF checked if not reg [with CERF]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs