Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,139,341 times

Advertisements

I would like to start something here and hope you join in.
I'm interested to see what and how much do you guys know about the pure bred dog that you own.

Simply answer these 6 questions: (copy and paste along with your answer)

1. Official Breed Name and Country of Origin
2. What is this breed was bred for (some history)
3. Breed Standards
4. Health Issues/Genetics
5. Temperament
6. Why one should/ or should not own this breed
7. Any other info:

I would like to introduce my favorite breed of all times:
German Shepherd Dog.

1. Official Breed Name and Country of Origin
The official names for the breed:
Alsatian, Deutscher Schaferhund, German Shepherd Dog
Country of origin is Germany.
The German Shepherd dog was developed from prick eared European herding and farm dogs in the late 1800's, Much of the credit for developement of the breed goes to the German Captain Max von Stephanitz, founder the first German Shepherd Dog club, the Verein fur Deutsche Schaferhunde in Germany in April of 1899

2. What is this breed was bred for (some history)
The original purpose for the German Shepherd Dog, was to herd sheep, cattle or any other animal that may require the assistance of a shepherd. Even given the name "shepherd" some people are surprised to hear that these dogs were bred for herding, as the GSD is more often found working as a guard dog, police dog or companion pet than in the field working sheep.
Developed as a general working dog for police and military work. This is a manufactured breed. The basic breeds that were incorporated into the production of the German Shepherd were European drovers dogs, farm dogs and herd guarding dogs. Some English Collie influence is also present.

3. Breed Standards
Height (inches): 24 - 26 (dogs); 22 - 24 (*******)
Weight (pounds): 60 - 130 (dogs); 45 - 110(*******)
German Shepherds are one of the breeds that have been affected by 'the bigger the better' syndrome. The standard calls for a medium sized working dog capable of prolonged work. Many fanciers have chosen to emphasize extreme size in their breeding programs.
Eye color: As dark as possible.
Lips: Firm, not pendulous
Ear type: The desired ear is erect and pricked.
Color: Commonly a saddled black and and tan, sable, bicolor black and tan and black dogs are also acceptable. Black and silver dogs are felt to be a bit too pale. White dogs are disqualified from AKC conformation showing although they are bred by individual fanciers who have even formed their own clubs and have their own shows.
Coat Type: Medium length (1 1/2 to 2 inches) double coat. The desired situation is for a weatherproof, low maintainence coat "outer coat should be as dense as possible, hair straight, harsh and lying close to the body...". Long haired individuals occur in the breed, as does the occasional woolley and curley coat. These are not as weatherproof and detract from the vigor of a sturdy working animal.

4. Health Issues/Genetics:
Hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and other joint and skeletal problems
Pancreatitis
Toxic Gut, bloat and numerous other gastro-intesital maladies
Seizures
Congenital problems such as cardiac anomalies, megesophagous..
Etc...

5. Temperament
The German Shepherd is one of the breeds where temperament is one of the most important variables attended to by dedicated breeders striving to preserve the breed as a working animal. The character of the ideal GSD is loyal, courageous, confident and highly trainable. They should not be timid, nervous or gun shy. Neither should they be vicious. An individual dog, once bonded to its owner, will bond for life. For this reason alone, one should not lightly contemplate acquiring a GSD.

6. Why one should/ or should not own this breed
Should: A knowledgable and dedicated owner able to provide adequate exercise and activities for the dog. Someone looking for a capable, dedicated companion who will become their devoted partner for the dog's life.

Should Not: People who lack the willingness and strength of character to train an active, reasonably high energy dog. People who lack devotion to the long term task of owning an intelligent, individually bonding animal.
  • This dogs shed non-stop
  • They can be vocal, often whining and barking to communicate. If left alone for prolonged periods of time they may become problem barkers.
  • Like any dog, the German Shepherd is a social animal and needs to be part of a family. The loyalty that endears this breed to many requires that it not be banished to the backyard.
  • German Shepherds are highly intelligent. If they are not given a job to do they will often come up with their own.
  • These dogs have a high energy level. The very energy that allows these dogs to be police, search, guide and herding dogs is often the reason these dogs are surrendered. If you’re looking for a couch potato you may want to consider a different breed.
7. Any other info:
The GSD does not have the "eye" as border collies or other similar breeds. They are trained to follow their instinct, which for the GSD is to "work the furrow", meaning that they will patrol a boundary all day and restrict the animals being herded from entering or leaving the designated area. It is this instinct that has made the breed superb guarding dogs, protecting their flock (or family) from harm. Your GSD will try to "herd" you and your family. Often they will "follow ahead", walking in front of you and looking back to make sure you are going where you should. Although the GSD is not used as frequently for herding in present time, there are many breed lines still known for their herding. The breed is naturally loyal, intelligent and protective. German Shepherd has an excellent nose, making it good for tracking and search and rescue work. German Shepherd Dogs are calm and have a steady temperament when well-bred which is why they have been used as "Seeing Eye" dogs. A German Shepherd thrives on regular exercise, mental stimulation and a well-balanced diet.

You can continue this thread to introduce your pure bred dog, or if you feel your breed deserves a separate thread, please do so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,484,867 times
Very good info. While current breeding has some dogs weighing 100+ lbs, I thought the original standard had the max weight around 90-100 lbs.

Health issues should include Degenerative Myelopathy, which seems to be more common to the GSD than other breeds.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,082,986 times
Actually thats more comon in Corgis...

Another thing about GSD...they can have Dwarf pups.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Very good info. While current breeding has some dogs weighing 100+ lbs, I thought the original standard had the max weight around 90-100 lbs.

Health issues should include Degenerative Myelopathy, which seems to be more common to the GSD than other breeds.

Agree, i believe that true GSD should not be more then 80lb for a female, and 90lb for a male. But with current misbreeding, true size has been pushed aside. Bigger isn't better.

Agree with DM, it's all part of misbreeding, as you know.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Actually thats more comon in Corgis...

Another thing about GSD...they can have Dwarf pups.
Absolutely! Dwarfs pups are not unusual in GSDs, but rare. Thanks for pointing this out Katie!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:33 PM

How do you define Rare? 1-2 per litter? My friends GSD had about that each time bred & so did others in my area.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:41 PM

Well, first of all, how often does your friend breeds her dog? Second, you say each time she is bred, she has a dwarf pup? My concern would be that dog has genetic issue and should not be bred. This is not normal, and i'd suggest your friend stop breeding her dog.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 PM

She Had 3 litters total. 1st she was a showdog. At 3 yrs she went thru all the tests of the day [early 1980s]. 1st litter age 4 yrs spayed at 8 yrs. O each male was a different line.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:09 PM

I don't know Katie, it's hard to tell. While i'm aware of the possibility for a dwarf pup, i have never personally seen one. I have few friends with GSDs, who also breed, and none of them had anything to say about it. So, i figured it would be rare.
I might go and google it just to see what comes up.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 PM

I found this website, some interesting reading there.

Pituitary Dwarfism (Hypopituitarism) in the German Shepherd Dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs