Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:42 PM

90 posts, read 330,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i know that mosquitoes are BAD around here right now ..... do mosquito bites itch dogs as much as they do us??

i keep frontline on them, so am hesitant to put anything else on them to repel mosquitos when we go for our walks in the evenings........

I use the Off wipes on Mic. I just rub him down with one before we go out on a walk through the woods. We are big hikers and there's a ton of mosquitos out there - not so much on everyday walks though. We tried using the spray but he wanted to play with it rather than let us spray it on him. *Crazy guy!!*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 04:21 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
hhhmmmm ... the park where we go is a flood plain / river bottom area and so is VERY swampy .... particularly with all the rain we have gotten this spring and summer.... i coat myself in sportsman's deep woods off EVERY NIGHT and i will still get a few bites on the few teeny tiny spots that are not sprayed.... so i know the dogs are getting bitten too .......

any opinions on using those wipes on them on a regular basis?? we go pretty much every evening......

Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 PM

90 posts, read 330,190 times
Late - That's a good question.. I haven't thought about how they would/wouldn't work on an everyday basis. I also haven't really thought of the long term effects of their use. Anyone else have experience or thoughts about the Off wipes??

Another option is at an outdoor sports store.. like Gander Mountain or Dick's Sporting Goods. They have a section for hunting dogs and there's a mosquito repellent created for dogs. You might want to look into those... Mic can't have them because they are sprays. *He always has to play with spray things*

Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
will check it out..... but am most concerned about adding this insect repellent / chemical on top of the frontline they are already on......

charlie, the new kid, was bouncing around in the vegetation next to the road we walk tonight and i was seeing CLOUDS of mosquitoes and no-see-ums...... i get bites on my face and the few square centimeters that are not coated with off, so i KNOW they are getting bitten.......

Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,564 times
Glad I saw this - my labs are itching & we know it's not fleas. I am going to try the tar-ific. Do I have to see "hot spots" on them to use it? Because I don't see any. They actually both look great; & they both get K9 Advantix as we are in the middle of tick central here in upstate NY. I have been told everything from grasses to grains in their food can cause the itch. I have them on the best food I can find - they still itch. Thx for the tip on the Tar-ific - hope this works.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:01 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
My dogs all get Frontlined and they still scratch sometimes. I do check and sometimes I do see some fleas even with the Frontline.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I went through this with Elwood late last summer. His whole underside was inflamed.
My vet recommended the Benadryl, plus a bit of olive oil (1 tablespoon) on his food, plus the occasional bath with a nice doggie shampoo.
It did the trick. It took a couple weeks, though.
I still give him the olive oil and the occasional bath, and his coat is nice and shiny.
Good luck.
Funny in the old days we would buy cod liver oil to put into the dog food for a coat, I may start that again. Benadryl seems to be what vets say now also! Oatmeal was what I did read for the shampoo? Also gold bond powder
for itch.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:50 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Fire Ants?? They can and do cause more than just itching--those things can kill your pet!!
Please watch out for fire ants in any area a pet is going to be. Keep benadryl on hand to give in the event the pet gets attacked by them. It's a danger for dogs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
With my little dog I think it is the fire ants that cause the itching...I try to stay away from lawns and places that aren't treated but it seems that this year there are millions of fire ants.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
Well, we finally broke down and took one of our dogs (Jersey) into the vet yesterday. Jersey reached a point when Benadryl wasn't touching his itching and he itched all through the night to the point we were fearful he was going to cause himself a hotspot like he had done the year before.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we went through the exact same thing last year for several weeks (at the same time of the year last year) and then it all stopped. We haven't changed their diet, or the laundry soap, we didn't notice any chigger bites and we treat all the animals in the house for fleas and ticks. Plus, our dogs are primarily inside dogs.

Our vet said that this summer he has seen more dogs for itching than he ever has. He also told us older dogs that have never had allergy issues were having them for the first time in their life. He said he has consulted with other area vets and they are seeing the same thing. So it is the vets' belief that there is something blooming at this time that is affecting many dogs. So he gave Jersey a combo shot of antibiotic/steriod and sent some Temparil P tablets home to use as needed. We will continue our female dog on Benadryl, but our vet said we can switch her to the Temparil P if the Benedryl starts to lose its beneficial effect on her.

Hope this helps shed some light on this topic!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Cricketfan,

You may want to play around with some different foods. It is not uncommon for dogs to have allergies to poultry and grain fillers, so the first thing I would try would be to move to a low grain or grain free food. If that does not help, eliminate any poultry. I would be inclined to eliminate suspiscious ingredients one at a time so that I could make a reasonable and somewhat scientifically derived conclusion about the source of the problem.

As other posters have mentioned, dogs can be affected by seasonal allergies, grass allergies and pollution as well, so it is difficult to know exactly what the problem is.

By the way, Evo red meat formula has fixed my dog's scratching fits. Evo turkey formula causes symptoms. A turkey neck to help clean his teeth initiates scratching within a few hours. Just rib bones and soup bones now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs