Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 14,334 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]My sweet little girl Gracie 2 year old Miniature schnauzer is on her second surgery for bladder stones. Our Vet put her on Prescription Diet c/d and said the bladder stones are due to her diet and her weight among the bladder infections?[/SIZE][SIZE=3]I have seen no change in her weight opposite Gracie has gained weight. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]I don’t want to see my girl go through more painful surgeries. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]I’m switching her food and trying the Vitamin C and Cranberry extract. Which foods would you or any recommend that might help me with Gracie or you might have the same problem. My vet said Miniature Schnauzers are notorious for bladder stones. Thank you in advance for your reponce.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
Science Diet foods (all of them) are very very low quality foods. The reasons most vets recommend them is (1) many get their entire nutrition education from pamphlets and other information from th Hill Company (makers of Science Diet), and (2) Hill pays them to sell it's products.

If the infection is severe your vet should prescribe antibiotics. But you can also try (and use as a preventative also) a product called "PeePee Formula" by Earth Animal (I think that's the correct formula. It's really helped our Pekingese.

We've also put all the dogs on a grain free, primarily raw diet. We combine frozen pre-mix raw medallions, freeze and air dried raw with reular raw and even occasional canned and kibble when we get really busy. We make sure their diets are balanced.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:32 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Would use distilled water w/ the c/d kibble - also only distilled water for her to drink, regular and spring water has minerals which you want to avoid - you can buy distilled very reasonably at Walmart - there are also c/d treats you can buy (our vet has them) - we would break them in half b/c they were kind of big for a small dog and even bigger for a tiny maltese or you could give her a piece or 2 of the c/d kibble, they do adjust and hopefully she'll be feeling better soon and the UTI's will be a thing of the past soon.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 14,334 times
Thank you for the information, I was told to also give her "bladder care" and vitamin C low in acidic. I can see she is still not feeling herself, although she really tries to be a happy little one.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,134 times
Default My recent experience and findings w/dog health

Hi isabelslaura,
My Shih-Tzu currently has kidney stones and crystals forming in her from not enough acid and too much alkaline. I called the owner of Solid Gold pet food which is the only food that I will and have fed my pets. I used to take in rescues in poor shape and the food is amazing. Human grade quality ingredients. The owner has traveled the world and has more education on the care and health of animals and nutrition than 100 vets. Vets only have a few days of training in nutrition. Really!! The web site is solidgoldhealth.com and the phone number for help 1-866-542-4916. They will guide you and happy to do so. The Holistique Blend or Hund-n-Flocken along with Seameal supplement is a good choice. Sea meal will boost the immune system. If your pet is on a Science Diet food for the kidney stones, I would be careful not to use added supplements until the vet takes her off the food. the weight gain is from the Science Diet CD food. Some breeds such as our dogs are known to get the stones. It is killing me to have to use Science Diet food. If you only knew what is in it??? I have used Solid Gold pet food for years and it was the only thing that helped with bloating, arthritis, gas and ALERGIES. The food will clean out all of the crap built up in their tissues and body so change food slowly and expect extra trips outside for a few days. The body will be cleaning out junk. As always, watch for any problems with diarrhea. Use common sense. And always contact your vet if you have questions. I wish you and your sweet companion well. God's speed.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 40,862 times
hi guys! i wanted to share a link with you, (if your pets are suffering from UTI) Dog Urinary Tract Infections Canine UTIs Feline UTIs (http://askariel.com/pages.asp?pid=uti - broken link) i get newsletters from the lady (she practices holistic pet care but works with and gets everything approved by a vet) who runs this website and from time to time she posts about UTIs.. It's crazy how often pet parents don't realize their pet actually has a UTI! i just thought mine was being a brat and peeing everywhere! sure enough UTI!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,987 times
Default My dog Loves his food!

My dog was diagnosed and had to have surgery from bladder stones. Now the vet says he has to be on Science diet for life. HE WOULD NOT EAT THAT CRAP! I was so upset. I did alot of reserch and now he loves and eats Royal Cannin Urinary s/o. I am very happy with this prescription dog food. Also my vet sent me some paperwork on what I can do to eed him other foods. The list says plain cooked chicken, plain cooked turkey, eggs, rice,peas, pasta, white potatoes,cabbage, cauliflower,bananas, and melon. I am so happy and my pup pup is too! Hope this helps.
[URL="http://www.balanceit.com"]www.balanceit.com[/URL] [URL="http://www.petdiets.com"]www.petdiets.com[/URL] [URL="http://www.vin.com"]www.vin.com[/URL]

Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Thank you so much for all of your replies. I hope all of our furbabies continue to thrive.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,560 times
I have a blue nose pit bull puppy that is 3 months old. She's the runt and has had a rough beginning with a backyard breeder. She was pulled off her mother at 5 weeks old and fed adult dog food from Costco. I switched her from the adult dog food to Taste of the Wild which was suggested by a few people and known to be a great puppy food. She developed a urine infection and crystals a month or so later...she is now on the science diet c/d and I feel so bad that she can not have any treats. I can tell she is getting sick of her food. Does anyone have any suggestions? I read the recipe on c/d dog food blended with Oregano..I was wondering why the oregano? Her infection is gone...crystals I will find out next week. Any other recipes for treats would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,423 times
Default science diet cd

My dog has been on it since surgery for sturvent(?) Crystals. It has been at least 7 yrs now. I have looked over and over for a replacement for this food. I DO NOT like the first ingredients! It is not what a healthy dog should eat. I have been afraid to change because I do not want a recurrence. Her coat has NEVER been shiny which tells you something. Thank you for the ascorbic acid tip! I feed my other dog a Limited Ingredients food. Swt pot and fish. Think I will be making some changes. BIG thanks to all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs