U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:25 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,097,248 times

Advertisements

Are they really different? If so, why or why not?

Some of you have a lot of experience with Bully breeds. Would you say training them is different from training other breeds?

Are there particular books or methods you would recommend to someone who adopts a bully breed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 05:33 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,649,640 times
What kind of bully breed? We have Frenchies and I hear they are different from the others. The one thing is for certain. Once they get fixated on something, it is so hard to pry them from what they are obsessing. The males are very intelligent. The females excentuate the bully traits ten-fold.

Training: positive reinforcement and a lot of patience!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:45 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,770,422 times
I would say 100% YES! I have raised, bred and trained Golden Retrievers for more years than I care to count! My daughter just purchased a BoerBoel-AKA South African Mastiff. This "little" girl( and I use the term very loosely!)is so intelligent...but soooooooooo stubborn. She is 9 months old now and weighs 85 lbs....and has got to be the most frustrating dog I have ever come up against! I know she has a very high energy level...and trying to tire her out is next to impossible..so she is always wound up. Of course her size and weight don't help matters. She can be behaving as well as anyone can expect her to...and BAM...she decides she's done and turns into a tornado...We call her the "Tasmanian Devil".....You can actually tell when she is going to decide to "let loose"! She tenses up...gearing up as my daughter calls it...and then all hell breaks loose. My daughter has been involved in the training of Big Cats (tiger, lions) and Bears (Oh my!) and she says, she'd rather take any one of those on as compared to this dog!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 PM

7,542 posts, read 16,354,807 times
Ive trained two Stafforshire Bull Terriers, one Golden Retriever and two Black Lab/Golden Retriever mixes and two Great Pyrenese (sp) and found the easiest to breed was the Staffs. It took about 5 mins of training for me to leave a juicy hamburger in front of the Staff and he wouldnt touch it, couldnt say the same for the GR!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:13 PM

OK. You're going to have to educate me.

Frenchies??? ... French Bull Dogs???

Apparently I need to do some research because I didn't realize that Mastiffs were in the same "family"... interesting.

I'm talking about a Pit Bull Mix.. In particular the dog I've got in mind is a male, Labrador / Pit Bull Mix. (which, of course, there's no such thing as a pit bull so it's a bully breed to me)

One thing I've noticed about "pitbulls" is that they typically are escape artists -- they don't like being in cages... fences... they'll climb over and escape more than most breeds. Am I right???

He's very intelligent. He's an adorable, sweetheart.. He'll definitely work for food! And, clickers...

In your opinion, are there big differences in the different bully breeds --- tempermentally and traning wise???

I do understand that every dog is different... and it's not cut and dried.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-02-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-02-2008, 11:47 PM

7,542 posts, read 16,354,807 times
Staffs are fantastic climbers yes. Dakota though has never jumped even the 4 foot fence that I have . One Staff I had hated being crated, Dakota "dosent mind" as far as I can tell.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:54 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,165,539 times
One of my dogs is also a 1/2 lab - 1/2 pit and she can be challenging...I swear it's the 1/2 lab side of her !

Headstrong, stubborn, obsessive - these can all be part of the bull personality, but they can also be very sensitive, so you have to firm but watch for the threshold where it's too much firmness.

The 7 year old 1/2 lab-1/2 pit I described above has a hard time staying focused and can be defiant, it's like a sport to her . Then I have a 2 year old pit bull who, aside from her puppyness, does not give me problems. She comes when called, the first time . She can be a goofball too, but she doesn't question me the way my 7 year old does. We also had a recently deceased male dog that was a real mix, but he had a good dose of bullmastiff in him. His personality was all bullmastiff and he was a dream . There were only a very few situations where he would be stubborn, but otherwise, he was very compliant and incredibly sensitive.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:49 AM

I definitely see the sensitivity..... he's a really sweet, gentle dog. Except for the whole "confinement" issue -- he's been extremely easy to train in every other area.

I recently tried a baby gate to keep him in the kitchen instead of the crate which is not working for him and he (immediately) climbed right over it. (It's one of the taller baby gates - about 4 foot tall) I pretended to leave - had my purse and keys - closed the door and just waited. He was over it in about 1 minute. And, I left toys and water in there with him. He quit playing with the Buster Ball as soon as the gate went up.

Just so you know, he'll stay gated, as long as I'm in there, too. I put the gate up at night so he'll stay in the bedroom with me.

I'm trying to figure out if this crate/gate thing is nature, nuture, separation anxiety --- or now with the gate -- if he's just stubborn (and spoiled).

I'm going to try working with the baby gate some more - while I'm here - to see if it's something that he'll train to. At least he didn't immediately start profuse sweating and salivating with the gate!

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-03-2008 at 07:12 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,649,640 times
Default Some advice

This advice was pass down to me from the breeder from the very beginning. Be consistent in your training and rearing of any mastiff breed. Use hand signals as much as possible. Using it with clickers and treats are the best (for us at least). Socialization! Socialization! Socialization! Even if you have another dog in the home, it's important that they socialize with other dogs. Have your friends or neighbors help you out with this one. Or look in your local area for pro-trainers and ask if they handle the bully breed.

Happy Training, WC! Post pix of your pitbull !!! We're suckers for cute dog pix in this forum!!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM

He LOVES other dogs ... that's not going to be an issue... there are lots of other dogs in our neighborhood and they visit daily.

I'm really working on my coordination with the food and clicker. The last training classes I went to with my last dog believed in it but I had not fully accepted the clicker / reward training at that time.

I just got a REALLY good training DVD by Jean Donaldson to help me with training. It's broken down into sections so I can watch it and then we do it... It's almost as good as training class. I think we'll be o.k.... He's certainly not my first dog. I fully understand how important it is to train your dog and protect him from the actions of others.

He's REALLY a good looking baby boy... I'll work on getting some pics!

BTW - I need to research Bull Mastiff and learn about the breed now, huh???

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-03-2008 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or