Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 PM

795 posts, read 4,536,783 times

Advertisements

titaniummd - this is such a funny question you ask! i have a 12-year old shih tzu, and when he was little, probably about nine months old, i took him to one of nc's beaches for the first time.

he was so funny! off-leash, he ran right straight into the ocean...and when that salt water hit him, he ran right straight back out and launched himself for a roll in the sand, digging his little face in the dirt the whole time. by the time i caught up with him, he was soaked, wild-eyed, and filthy.

oh my goodness, the memories. that's not the only body of water that he's run straight into without a second thought. he's also leapt into a lake and a swimming pool...both times of which i've had to fish him out.

that experience didn't put him off the beach, though. he still loves to go down, take a stroll, and lie on the sand. i always keep him on-leash now and take a towel for him to sit on to protect him from the creepy-crawlies and to make it easier to clean him up when we get back in the car. also, i take old grocery bags in case he has to potty while we're there and a bottle of water in case he gets thirsty.

oh, and also, i watch out for jelly fish - we have those wash up on shore a lot here -- don't know if you have a problem with those in fl.

if your dog can handle the ride, i think you should take him! it's one of my dog's favorite places, and i've yet to have anyone tell me their dog didn't like it.

good luck if you go!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

Riveree, I hear you about the off leash dogs as Jazz hates off leash dogs running up to her. One of our beaches that allows dogs has an area to the left of the parking lot that is for leash free dogs and to the right dogs must be on a leash yet alot of people seem to think the on leash does not apply to their dog.It makes me mad as there is a specific area for leash free dogs!
That's a great idea! We don't have anything like that here, but that's really a good one!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Every time! Malibu, Las Casitas, Goat Rock, they love it. The male(Gus) loves the sand more than the water. The female(Cricket) will jump with the fishes if we let her. Unfortunately, they are not great swimmers, so I have to keep her on the leash at all times at the beach. Gus just wants to chase the birds. We let him go everywhere. He won't step on wet sand, either. Weird!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 PM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
We've taken "Sally" to Vilano (St Augustine-north side of inlet) where you drive on the beach. She doesn't seem to like the waves. When it's not so hot, I take her on a little walk w/out the kids. She seems to enjoy the shallow calm water. Drive on beach is nice b/c you have somewhere stable (hitch maybe) to tie the dog if you want to sit and relax. Car also provides great shade (especially the minivan) too. We used to take my old dog to the sandbars and he loved the water.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
Have you ever seen a beagle try to swim??? LOL. It's pretty funny. He has such a deep chest that he really has to struggle not to sink.

We have taken him to the ocean in NC and SC. There was also a beach on the Chesapeake Bay in Matthews, VA, where dogs were allowed. He seemed to like the bay waters better, as it was calmer. Tonka likes to howl when we go to the ocean beaches... crazy beagle howling at waves!!!

Tonka has also been swimming in mountain streams on our hikes up and down the AT. Once, he was trying to jump from rock to rock... and misjudged the distance. The water was suprisingly deep, and he was in over his head. We had him on a leash, so we were able to pull him out. Once we got over our moment of panic... we couldn't stop laughing. I don't think Tonka thought it was too funny!

Like the other posters have said, we always bring towels, water, and poop bags with us. We don't want to spoil the fun and have the authorities take away the privilege of having your dogs on the beach by not picking up after him.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Most definitely. I love taking our dog to the beach...he's only been once, and I was surprised that he's actually a swimmer! The beach is Fort DeSoto in St. Pete, which is leash free.

I'm in the process of begging DH to go tomorrow, but it's hard to justify driving 70+ miles what with the price of gas, and the daily threat of storms here in Florida. But, the last time I checked the weather it looked like it should be decent tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be going!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
You should go!!! Taking my dog to the beach brings back lots of memories. If you're lucky, you may see other dogs there. It's a great opportunity for your dog to sharpen his socialization skills.

My dog, Hallie at the Santa Barbara beach:

Tim C.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Great looking dog Tim and a beautiful photo!!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:14 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
We did wind up taking our dog, Levi, to Fort DeSoto beach today. It was a fun afternoon! It's funny, 2x there, both times he got chased by little dogs barking at him like nuts (Dachsunds first time, & today Jack Russells) meanwhile, Levi's probably around 75 lbs...all big baby! I get such a kick out of watching all of them have fun with him, and also watching him have fun swimming!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
I love taking my dogs to the beach, they are ok with the idea but I'm sure they are happier to be with me then left home alone. None of them really like the water but we manage to get them into the water from time to time. We also like to bring the portable kennel with us to keep them contained and cool. This way we are not always chasing them around or keeping other dogs away and it gives us the freedom to relax on the beach while they are shaded in the kennel.
Do you take your dog to the beach?-beach_dogs.jpg
Do you take your dog to the beach?-beli-beach.jpg
Do you take your dog to the beach?-beach_pepsintika.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs