Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,627,090 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to see my AmStaff mix jump stright up about 3.5-4 ft off the ground (between his feet and the ground). Is this typical? He came close to clearing my 48 in. fence, if it had not been vinyl I think he would have grabbed onto to something and gone over. He does not like the dog next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,628,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I was surprised to see my AmStaff mix jump stright up about 3.5-4 ft off the ground (between his feet and the ground). Is this typical? He came close to clearing my 48 in. fence, if it had not been vinyl I think he would have grabbed onto to something and gone over. He does not like the dog next door.
I am reposting this blog for you. This Am Staff I found jumps a 4 foot fence. She is short and very overweight, I cannot believe she can jump that high and she even has bad back legs and hips...probably due to jumping that fence all the time!

Short story, long! I was leaving my sons house very late and turned the corner by his home and saw a black dog laying by the side of the street in the grass...I said to myself, ok, do not stop...keep going...well of course I did not! Turned my car around to where the dog was, got out and it was a very overweight pitbull. When I called to it, it cried and came to me, wagging her tail like crazy and giving me tons of kisses. She proceeded to try to get in my car but she was tooo overweight, so I lifted her butt up and in! Called my son and put her in his outside sunroom overnight. He thought she belonged by the house behind him where she was laying. I went to my sons early this morning and took this sweet, overweight "Miss Wiggle Butz" to the neighbors home....I said, are you missing a dog? He said he had three older rescue pitbulls and did not know, since he has a doggie door where they could go in and out. He looked in the back of my car and said, "Cali" it was his doggie. He said she jumps the four foot fence sometimes as fat as she is. By the way she is on thyroid meds that makes her overweight! So Cali is home safe! I said a prayer for her last night! Now all the ignorant people would have seen she was a pitbull and kept going! Wake up people these dogs are sweet when raised the right way....WITH LOVE AND AFFECTION! A dog also knows who to trust and who not to..this is why I have never been bitten by a dog that I was trying to help...they sense I am there to help!
Meet Cali! (two pics I took quick before she was returned home!)

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,361,613 times
It wont be long before it is cleared. Staffs/AmStaffs can easily clear a 6 or 7' fence with little to no effort it looks like :P
If your dog has agression issues youneed to raise the fence. If it is indoors alot and only goes out to poop or whatever I would reccomend a chain for that period.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info! Sigh.... I will have to use a leash when the dog next door is out. He loooves my 2 dogs but maybe he thinks the other one is trying to "get" his yard or his friends. He's only been here 4 days, new adoptee. Sigh again.....

Old 08-06-2008, 06:03 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,183,863 times
Ahhh you people are torturing me with your cute dogs. I cant wait to get a house and have them again.

yeh OT but calie is cute

Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 PM

692 posts, read 3,849,894 times
Britches jumps like crazy too. He can easily jump with his back feet 3 feet off the ground.

I'm so glad that everything went through smoothly and you got this boy. I have to say congrats again.

I'll have to see if I can get some shots of him jumping or hopping over the wall out back.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 PM

I went with a national dog training company (DM if you want their number), very expensive but worth every penny. Wiggles got near the fence once and that correction was enough. I know I have to work on it a lot but I was impressed with how well they system works!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,361,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
It wont be long before it is cleared. Staffs/AmStaffs can easily clear a 6 or 7' fence with little to no effort it looks like :P
If your dog has agression issues youneed to raise the fence. If it is indoors alot and only goes out to poop or whatever I would reccomend a chain for that period.
It's amazing how high they can jump . My little 42lber could easily clear my 6 foot fence if she wanted too...so far, she just plays at it, but if she had a good enough reason, she'd go over .

You also want to be careful about them going under- either dog might dig under the fence and that just takes a few moments to do. I line my fence line with heavy concrete stepping stones and that does the trick.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,361,613 times
True that riveree.
Unfrotunately I have some nasty neighbors. Animal Control told me they were calling him they day I got him. 12 week old vicious as hell "pitbull" hehe. I have him on a chain when he outside with me not there, makes me sick but its so when AC comes by they can take pics of him on a chain. He says he coems by everytime ad hes in the yard and dosent believe but we will go to court soon if they keep calling. Is not that he believes them, he dosent, but just because he wants them to go to court so they will stop calling. Sad, sad world.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 PM

692 posts, read 3,849,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
True that riveree.
Unfrotunately I have some nasty neighbors. Animal Control told me they were calling him they day I got him. 12 week old vicious as hell "pitbull" hehe. I have him on a chain when he outside with me not there, makes me sick but its so when AC comes by they can take pics of him on a chain. He says he coems by everytime ad hes in the yard and dosent believe but we will go to court soon if they keep calling. Is not that he believes them, he dosent, but just because he wants them to go to court so they will stop calling. Sad, sad world.
That's crazy. Some people in this world More than anything it sounds like a call for attention to me. Your big ol' baby. hah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs