U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,001,849 times

Advertisements

I realize that some people give Pepto-Bismol to their dogs with no ill effect. However, the two vets that I see have told me not to use it because the main ingredient can cause intestinal upset. The ASPCA apparently agrees. ASPCA Blog: Pet Poison Q & A: The Scoop on Pepto Bismol

My vets did tell me that I could use Immodium instead.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM

389 posts, read 985,620 times
According to the link it can in large doses just like aspirin. Hopefully, no one is giving their dog adult size doses of Pepto.

Also, is Immodium in tablet form? Because that might be easier to get the dog to take.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Yes, Immodium in tablet form. The vet told me to give the dosage based on the weight of the dog according to the chart on the box.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,169,646 times
A homeopathic for people and pets is air popped popcorn.

Try it yourself. Its way better than any med.

Just plain and air popped. No butter etcs.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,083,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
he has the runs...his appitite is fine, he is acting fine, he is drinking plenty of water but he is sick...I am waking up with him every 2 hours at night. He usually goes, others he just tries and nothing... We have not changed his diet. He eats Iams...my hubby did give him a little broth (from some chicken soup) mixed in his food the other night...could that have made him this sick? Could he have eaten something in the yard maybe?

A vet will tell you not to feed him for 24 hours, if he is still sick take him in to see the Doc. Give water, not food. Yes it could be the soup. If he starts throwing up or you see any blood in stools don't wait.

Carrie

Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,416,174 times
As an infectious diseases physician, I don't like Immodium for diarrhea. Yes, it stops the signs of the illness, because it stops the GI tract from moving. HOWEVER, it also has the potential to prolong the illness, as the organisms causing the diarrhea (and diarrhea occurs due to bacteria that are interlopers) will continue to cause infection and are not even expelled with the stool. And dogs aren't that different from people - they get the same illnesses for the same reasons.

Again, not feeding for a period, as I suggested above, (called 'bowel rest') and then ONLY feeding overcooked white rice and some poached chicken breast (not thigh/leg, because dark meat is too greasy) in TINY meals is what most vets recommend.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
As an infectious diseases physician, I don't like Immodium for diarrhea. Yes, it stops the signs of the illness, because it stops the GI tract from moving. HOWEVER, it also has the potential to prolong the illness, as the organisms causing the diarrhea (and diarrhea occurs due to bacteria that are interlopers) will continue to cause infection and are not even expelled with the stool. And dogs aren't that different from people - they get the same illnesses for the same reasons.

Again, not feeding for a period, as I suggested above, (called 'bowel rest') and then ONLY feeding overcooked white rice and some poached chicken breast (not thigh/leg, because dark meat is too greasy) in TINY meals is what most vets recommend.
ViralMD has raised good points. I should have been more thorough in my response regarding Imodium. When my dogs have uncomplicated diarrhea, (Thank goodness they don't get it often!) I stop all food for about 24 hours. I always take a fecal sample to the vet for screening and don't use any at-home remedy until he calls with the results. After 24 hrs, I start feeding boiled chicken and white rice or pasta. My old dogs (16+) get pretty debilitated when they have diarrhea, and one of them responds well to the Imodium. It seems to help the others too, but not as quickly so I don't always use it for them. Also, I believe Imodium is not well tolerated by certain breeds (collies?) so, like anything else made for humans, you should consult your vet before giving it to your dog.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:40 AM

3,794 posts, read 9,687,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

So true....and to add, as a GI nurse practitioner, Imodium can be a dangerous thing to use in the case of a bowel obstruction- People as well as dogs can have what is an "overflow diarrhea" in cases of obstruction. The liquid stool leaks around the obstruction. Not a pleasant thought but true.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 AM

Red face Okay, I'm cured!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
So true....and to add, as a GI nurse practitioner, Imodium can be a dangerous thing to use in the case of a bowel obstruction- People as well as dogs can have what is an "overflow diarrhea" in cases of obstruction. The liquid stool leaks around the obstruction. Not a pleasant thought but true.
I'll never be able to use Imodium again, after reading this.

Thanks very much!!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:23 PM

3,794 posts, read 9,687,040 times
Oh my! Sorry! Didn't mean to alarm you....but a person or a dog would have other symptoms in addition to diarrhea if an obstruction was present- abdominal pain, distention etc. This was just some info to avoid using an anti-diarrhea medicine indiscriminately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or