U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 PM

17 posts, read 150,804 times

Advertisements

We are going to board our puppy for the first time. She is 15 month old, sweet natured to human. She will be around other dogs with little one on one human attention for 10 days. I know she is going to have a lot of fun with other dogs, but I do not want her to pick up any bad habits, such as barking or digging.

Thanks for your input in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,852,129 times
We board our 2 Goldens quite often. I board with my vet, so I am very confident that they can excellent care and maybe even alittle more TLC than they would at a kennel.
I doubt she will pick up any bad habits...She maybe tired when she gets home...I don't think they sleep very well with all the noise. I went back into the kennel area once and as soon as all the dogs heard me, they started barking...It was deafening! My 2 always crash as soon as they come home and sleep like logs for a few hrs!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,300,013 times
I would ask your vet or friends for a personal recc. for a kennel.

We were moving once and had to put our Lab who loved to bark in a kennel we didnt know. Everytime we raised our hand to touch our head or anything like that he winced.
And he was not a wincy dog. They didnt put down an area for him to lay either I dont think because he came home with bald elbows. I know big dogs just get this. But it shouldnt of just showed up this much. It grew back after he was home.

But UGH...I get so ******************* when I think about that place.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
bjh

30,677 posts, read 23,769,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
We were moving once and had to put our Lab who loved to bark in a kennel we didnt know. Everytime we raised our hand to touch our head or anything like that he winced.
And he was not a wincy dog. They didnt put down an area for him to lay either I dont think because he came home with bald elbows. I know big dogs just get this. But it shouldnt of just showed up this much. It grew back after he was home.

But UGH...I get so ******************* when I think about that place.
Argh!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,017,135 times
Default Bad experience also

As some of you already know, my firbaby Ben has a hole in his heart and is on meds. Not all kennels will board an animal with serious problems like this. We were going to my brothers for Christmas the year Ben turned 1. I asked my Vet for a recommendation on a kennel. He gave me two and after visiting them I decided on one that the dogs had access to a grassy area along with their sleeping area. Also if you paid more they would either let them out with other dogs or play privately with your dog for a half hour at a time. With Ben's health problems I choose private attention.

We were gone for 3 days and when I picked him up it was awful. I had called twice a day and they said he was doing fine. I got to the kennel around 11:30 am and they hadn't even given him his morning meds. He was shaking like a leaf and wouldn't even look me in the eyes. They acted like there wasn't anything wrong with him. I was so upset.

The ride home took around 25 minutes. I was so scared the whole way. When we got there and I open the truck door, he almost knocked me over trying to get out. He immediately ran to the woods a started pooping. He went to 3 differently places and left BIG piles.

Ben will not poop in the yard so I believe they didn't take him out of his kennel area the whole time and my poor baby was literally full of it.

I understand that it was Christmas time and employees want time off to be with their families BUT the kennel was being paid to care for my dog. I paid EXTRA to make sure that he had one on one attention.

Now the only way I leave Ben is to kennel him at the vets office or I take him with me and find pet friendly hotels.

By the way. The reason I didn't take him to my brothers is because he had a Mastiff that didn't tolerate other dogs.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:11 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
Jessie, I am so sorry this happened. You should be upset when you paid extra. I have had pet sitters for years. Some will go to work and then come spend the night at my house. Some will come for 1/2 hr at a time, as many times as you want to pay for. I pay $15/visit for 3 visits per day. Since I have 3 dogs and 3 cats, it's actually cheaper than boarding them. My dogs behave in the house, so that's not a problem.Usually vet techs do pet sitting, ask at your vet's office. Also, some of the Humane Society people do pet sitting. There is also a national certification group for pet sitters that has certified and bonded pet sitters; search this forum for the name that I am blanking on. Everyone is fine when I get home, they follow theri regular routine, more or less, and they are not stressed by a new environment or exposed to any dogs that might be sick.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-07-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Jessie, I am so sorry this happened. You should be upset when you paid extra. I have had pet sitters for years. Some will go to work and then come spend the night at my house. Some will come for 1/2 hr at a time, as many times as you want to pay for. I pay $15/visit for 3 visits per day. Since I have 3 dogs and 3 cats, it's actually cheaper than boarding them. My dogs behave in the house, so that's not a problem.Usually vet techs do pet sitting, ask at your vet's office. Also, some of the Humane Society people do pet sitting. There is also a national certification group for pet sitters that has certified and bonded pet sitters; search this forum for the name that I am blanking on. Everyone is fine when I get home, they follow theri regular routine, more or less, and they are not stressed by a new environment or exposed to any dogs that might be sick.
Thanks for the advise. There are some wonderful vet techs at my vet office and they all love Ben! He is such a sweet boy.

Someone coming to my house would be the best situation since he would have the woods to do his do in.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:35 PM

4,657 posts, read 15,771,582 times
Hearing dogs bark in a kennel while you're touring it, is not uncommon. Most dogs suspect anyone other than staff coming through as an "inturder". The manager and myself can walk in at Midnight and no one makes a peep, we have 100 kennels at work.

If your boarding facility is set up to where there are play yards, chances are the reason your dog comes home tired is due to having extra stimulation while playing more than usual at home with other dogs.

Your dog should not return to you head shy if they never were to begin with. While our kennel does provide bedding for the dogs, not talking just sheets here, talking blankets and huge comforters, some dogs elect on their own to not sleeping on the bedding, rather choosing the cement floor as it's cooler.

Question for Jessiegee, did you alert the staff that your dog was not used to pottying on a lawn? If so, or rather regardless i can't understand why the staff didn't take measures once noticing he wasn't defecating. One trick we use and also will alert us if there's an issue is to take the temperature. This stimulates a BM and if there's a fever we'll know. Sorry that happened to your boy.

caspercasper22, what kind of dog do you have? Please check out Pet Care Services Association (http://www.petcareservices.org/ - broken link) they are a pet boarding accredidation association and can help in choosing where to board your dog or if you think it's even the right choice for your situation.

To all reading this reply, I'm not out to malign anyone who elects not to board their pets, just trying to show the other side of the coin. Believe me when I say there are times I suggest to a possible new client that their pet would be better off boarding with a vet or using an at home service. We look out for the welfare of the pet, not simply making a dollar

Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,622,245 times
A friend of mine went "back home" for the summer to be with family (her dh is in Iraq). She has 2 dogs and the kid's karate teacher (who owns 3 dogs himself) told her that the trip would be "bad" for the animals and offered to care for them while she was gone. All summer, when we would talk, she would tell us how great he was, how wonderful the dogs were doing and thought we were nuts for not using him when we took our 2 week cross country trip (puppy was too young to board, IMO) and brought along our then 3 month old puppy.

She returned 3 days ago, 1 week early.

Her house is destroyed. According to neighbors, if this guy showed up at all, he showed up once a day. They didn't see him at all for the week of July 4th. One said they confronted him and was told that he came in the middle of the night, or that they just didn't see him.

He didn't even kennel the dogs when he left them inside. We've spent 2 days ripping out carpet and padding, throwing out the kid's toys and urine soaked, torn up furniture. All the screens need to be replaced. We've been running her machines and mine non stop to try to salvage the clothes, bedding and carpet runners. We're priming floors and walls, scrubbing and bleaching everything. We've got another week of that at least. She can't afford to replace the carpets until next spring, so we're just making do. Homeowner's insurance can't help. Her house looks like those photos we saw out of New Orleans after Katrina. It smells... oh lord, it smells! She also has a cat... litter box was fresh when she walked in, but the litter and cat poop strewn about the laundry room floor shows that wasn't par for the course this summer.

There are 2 FILTHY towels in the basement bathroom with dog hair on them. Apparently he tried to bathe them when she called and said she'd be home in less than an hour.

One of her neighbors works for CPS and told her that if the kids slept in the house, she'd have to report it and the kids would most likely be taken, so the kids are sleeping between here and one of the neighbors houses.

She was trying to save the $2500 the kennel would've charged. She's spent $1200 so far (all she had in hand), we've spent a few hundred and she estimates it'll be another $4-5k plus new floors. This doesn't even take into account the damage done to the dogs by being left for so long. One was 7 mos old when she left!

I don't think we'll ever take a chance NOT boarding our dog.

And no, her kids won't be taking karate anymore.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Hearing dogs bark in a kennel while you're touring it, is not uncommon. Most dogs suspect anyone other than staff coming through as an "inturder". The manager and myself can walk in at Midnight and no one makes a peep, we have 100 kennels at work.

If your boarding facility is set up to where there are play yards, chances are the reason your dog comes home tired is due to having extra stimulation while playing more than usual at home with other dogs.

Your dog should not return to you head shy if they never were to begin with. While our kennel does provide bedding for the dogs, not talking just sheets here, talking blankets and huge comforters, some dogs elect on their own to not sleeping on the bedding, rather choosing the cement floor as it's cooler.

Question for Jessiegee, did you alert the staff that your dog was not used to pottying on a lawn? If so, or rather regardless i can't understand why the staff didn't take measures once noticing he wasn't defecating. One trick we use and also will alert us if there's an issue is to take the temperature. This stimulates a BM and if there's a fever we'll know. Sorry that happened to your boy.

caspercasper22, what kind of dog do you have? Please check out Pet Care Services Association (http://www.petcareservices.org/ - broken link) they are a pet boarding accredidation association and can help in choosing where to board your dog or if you think it's even the right choice for your situation.

To all reading this reply, I'm not out to malign anyone who elects not to board their pets, just trying to show the other side of the coin. Believe me when I say there are times I suggest to a possible new client that their pet would be better off boarding with a vet or using an at home service. We look out for the welfare of the pet, not simply making a dollar

Yes I did. That was one of the reasons that I paid more so that he would be taken out to the larger enclosure that had trees in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs