U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:45 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,457,572 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Doritos Smell Like Dogfeet!

I saw this video and it cracked me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM

396 posts, read 1,163,392 times
OMG, my dogs feet really do smell like fritos. But only my black dogs. I couldn't really tell on my blonde dog cause he kept licking me and all I could smell was his breath!

Old 07-24-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
Default fritoes

we nick named my dog fritoes because of her corn chip feet... sometimes my 5 year old calls her nachos. now we have two dogs, and the male's feet have a much stronger chippy odor. we bathe them every couple of months and they are not smelly anywhere else. i don't really mind the smell except during the summer months when it gets much stronger. we feed them a grain-free all protien diet so it's not "corn in their food" as others have suggested.

i wash their feet well during their bath, and we just use oatmeal or milk pet bath products. the smell never completely leaves, but it does decrease after a bath and grows stronger over time.

i believe it's because they sweat throught the pads on their feet. you could just try washing their feet every couple of weeks with dog shampoo and rinsing well with water. this is what i do in the summer. you don't want to bathe them too often because it can irritate their skin, but washing putting them in the tub and just washing their feet often shouldn't be a problem. be sure you don't leave any soap or perfume on their feet that could irritate them.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,350,324 times
Old thread, I know, but who can resist the frito-feet?!?! I have to say that I love it. To me, it's as charming as puppy breath.

As for remedying the situation, which is the original purpose of this thread.... I wonder if spritzing the paw-pads (and wiping them down) with a mixture of vinegar and water would help? I do think the corn-chip smell is likely due to the fact that dogs sweat through their paw-pads. So maybe the vinegar would kill the bacteria there? (And yet not stain/bleach the carpet, as another person worried would happen with hydrogen-peroxide.)

Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,979,023 times
How about wiping them down with an anti-bacterial hand wipe maybe?? Of all the dogs I've had through my house I've never noticed Fritos feet!! LOL Maybe it's because there are so many I smell just plain dog!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,005,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
How about wiping them down with an anti-bacterial hand wipe maybe?? Of all the dogs I've had through my house I've never noticed Fritos feet!! LOL Maybe it's because there are so many I smell just plain dog!
Bella diffinitely has Fritos Toes. I love it. mrs1885.....smell Munchi's feet. Try it, you'll like it..lol

Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,979,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Bella diffinitely has Fritos Toes. I love it. mrs1885.....smell Munchi's feet. Try it, you'll like it..lol
ROFL I don't think I want my nose near her feet. The little tacker would bite my nose or something! She's a wild little thing. We call her the piranha here!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
now i find THAT hard to believe.... she was a sweetie baby when i met her last sunday.....

Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM

36,477 posts, read 41,660,628 times
It doesn't have anything to do with what the dog eats. It's just naturally occurring yeast and bacteria on the paw pads and toe webbing, and it's more strong if the dog's paws get damp and don't totally dry out. The dogs' feet aren't infected or anything, it's just naturally occurring microorganisms. You probably smell it more strongly after the dog's been sleeping, because they're not up, running around, swiping off the bacteria.

Our dog smells like crackers every once in a while, and the yeast is why.

What Causes “Frito Feet”?

Old 08-31-2016, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 621 times
The smell of corn chips on dogs' feet is associated with yeast. Yeast are growing on the feet and it can usually be alleviated by adjusting their diet. Minimizing sugar which is found in cheap carbohydrates like sugar, potatos, and grains. Dogs can even develop an allergic reaction to the yeast growing in and on their bodies. In addition, the smell can be helped by standing your dog in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar and water. Clipping the fur between their pads is also helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs