U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 11:15 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,222,322 times

Advertisements

I just gave Jenny the four pills for her weight size yesterday. How do I know when the worms are gone and if they did the job? When can I let her with my other dogs. Right now sh does have two more weeks of rest time from her heartworm treatments. She was with my other dogs to meet them today but only for a few minutes. She also pooped this morning and I saw no worms this time. Thanx....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 11:19 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,520,304 times
You won't see these worms in the stool unless you look with a microscope - they're TINY. Please don't use any vermicide on your dog unless you know for certain that she actually has these parasites. No medication is without harmful side effects and since she's in the midst of heartworm treatment it's triply important that your vet assess her need for this other treatment. Praziquantel, the active ingredient in this drug isn't innocuous.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You won't see these worms in the stool unless you look with a microscope - they're TINY. Please don't use any vermicide on your dog unless you know for certain that she actually has these parasites. No medication is without harmful side effects and since she's in the midst of heartworm treatment it's triply important that your vet assess her need for this other treatment. Praziquantel, the active ingredient in this drug isn't innocuous.
I asked the vet about the tapeworm injection while Jenny was there getting her second heartworm injections...he said no! This was over two weeks ago. I went to pick up her special food yesterday and told them I got the pills and they said it was ok to give them to her. The pills do not work? some say they do not. I guess I will take a stool sample to the vet in two weeks to see of they are gone. Thanx

Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 PM

They? Who is 'they' who said it was OK? I would consult with the vet EVERY time I gave a dog a potentially dangerous medication, such as praziquantel. What makes you think she has tapeworm? When was her stool examined. There are two more weeks of heartworm treatment, and that needs to be done first, as it's more immediately life threatenting. After she's had a chance to recover from the heartworm treatment she can have her stool checked for tapeworm ova/parasites. If that exam is negative, there's no need for treatment.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
They? Who is 'they' who said it was OK? I would consult with the vet EVERY time I gave a dog a potentially dangerous medication, such as praziquantel. What makes you think she has tapeworm? When was her stool examined. There are two more weeks of heartworm treatment, and that needs to be done first, as it's more immediately life threatenting. After she's had a chance to recover from the heartworm treatment she can have her stool checked for tapeworm ova/parasites. If that exam is negative, there's no need for treatment.
If you read my post correctly she is done with her heartworm treatments two weeks ago. The vet gave me the ok to give her the tapeworm pills. I know what tapeworms are from many years of animal rescue. They are not tiny microscopic worms. Tapeworms look like grains of rice and are flat and they come out with the stool on the outside of it and are also can be seen around the dogs anus. Right now her nose is a little warm and runny, I hope the pills are not harming her. I will call the vet tomorrow.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 PM

I didn't say the worms were microscopic- I said they were tiny. I know what they look like, but it's easier to see the ova of the worms than the worms themselves in the stool because there are so many of them.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I didn't say the worms were microscopic- I said they were tiny. I know what they look like, but it's easier to see the ova of the worms than the worms themselves in the stool because there are so many of them.
So the injection the vet gives for Tapeworms is a different drug than what is in the pills? Jenny had two Heartworm Injection Treatments almost three weeks ago. That was her last one! The vet-tech said it was ok to give her the pills for tapeworm at this time. The only change I notice in her since giving her the pills is that her breathing is heavier like when she had the Heartworm Treatments. I will call the vet tomorrow morning just to make sure she is ok. I really hate giving her all these meds, she was on so many the whole time during her treatments, but I heard the Tapeworm Injection is very painful and very strong, so I decided to try the pills for her. I did not know the drug in the pills is the same as the Heartworm Drug Injection. Yikes, the vet did not tell me that nor did I do my research online! Shame on me! In the end the vet did not tell me any real info. on Heartworm or what to expect with the treatments, I had to learn it all online and from you guys here!
Thanx for your help.....appreciate it.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 PM

75 posts, read 344,186 times
Default Tapeworms

If you are worried about the chemical meds, you can go the natural route. Black Walnut extract is a natural parasite killer. Just put an eye dropper full in the dog food when you feed her. Do this for a few days. You can also add the extract a few times a week as a heartworm preventative.
Get this book, "The Nature of Animal Healing" by Martin Goldstein, DVM. I got mine at Barnes & Noble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs