U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 PM

7,282 posts, read 17,211,269 times

Advertisements

We have a 3 year old female lab mix. She's used to getting all our attention but is very energetic and gets along with other dogs.
Question is, would we be better off getting a puppy or an adult dog or does it matter? We would prefer to have another female. I heard somewhere it does matter but I don't know where I heard that.
Opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 01:52 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times
I have always had a male and a female, to me that's the ideal combination. I'd get a shelter or rescue group dog, one's who is past the chewing-peeing in house-barking stage. You can save a life and get a wonderful companion for you and your dog. www.petfinder.com lists a lot of pets - you can search by zip code, species, gender, size, and age.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:09 PM

I saw a couple of puppies in the general area on petfinder that are housetrained already.
Some of the places I looked and petfinder might have been one of them require a fenced yard.
We live in an isolated place in the mountains and don't need a fence. The dog will be a house dog anyway.
I'll get ragged for saying this but I prefer female dogs because it seems like the male dogs I've seen want to go around peeing everywhere and all the time whether they are housebroken or not.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:00 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
I know alot of people that have two or more females and have peace but you the more a alike two dogs are the more you are prone to issues between the two. That is why it is much more common to have problems between say two females then it is with a male and a female. For some odd reason the neutered males do pretty well with other neutered males yet alot of times two spayed females have issues.

Not all male dogs pee on everything. I did not own Dash his first year of life but I think he was fixed at a young age as he does not pee on everything and unless he is out with other dogs he squats like a girl, he is my girlie boy! When I got him I wanted another female much for the same reason you do but when I met him at the shelter he was such a great boy and to be honest he gets along with everyone unlike my Jazz ( spayed female). He is just a goofy lover which I think alot of neutered males are! I would never again go looking for a dog based on its sex.

As for housetrained puppies just remember any new dog puppy or adult may have alot of accidents at first and require a refresher course. Also beware that some dogs that are " house broken" are done so via pet door and never learned to come ask to go out as they could just go out on their own. They will need to be trained to come ask if you do not have a pet door.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:59 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
I have a foster male dog that also pee's like that and he was just neutered. There are some breeds where a male normally doesn't hike their leg.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:21 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,781,834 times
I think the common approach is that the best combinations in this order are male/female, male/male, the female/female - ***** fights can be ten times worse than the normal posturing between two males usually is.

Actually I have had both and prefer males - I have had more issues with pee with female dogs than with male dogs. Most of my female pee issues were related to post spay incontinence. I have never had a male mark in my house. Could be the breed - I have GSDs.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,013,976 times
You don't say whether your lab is spayed. If she is, it is more likely that she'll get along with another female that is also spayed. I agree with grannynancy that introducing a dog of the opposite sex is generally easier and results in fewer issues.

Female dogs are also territorial and will mark. I introduced a new female into a home with an existing female, and the resident dog began marking almost immediately, so the new dog did, too. Both needed a refresher course in housebreaking.

Even more important than the sex of the new dog is the personality. You want a dog whose behaviors will be a good fit for your current dog. You also need to take care in how you introduce the new dog to your current dog and your home.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:26 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,197,571 times
I would go to your local Petsmart on Saturdays until you find the right companion for your dog. You can bring your dog with you and they can meet and spend time right then and there together, if it does not work out you can return to the rescue group for another that might come along. All these dogs you see on adoption day at Petsmart were rescued from most likely kill shelters. I would choose another dog between 1 and 5 years old to keep your dog company! Either sex would work. Good luck..remember one thing...everyone wants a puppy....be the one in very few and choose an older dog! Plus it will have more in common with your dog and your dog will not feel left out with all the attention a new little puppy would get!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 PM

My dog is spayed.
I do know that when her and my brothers male lab were together for a couple of months, those two were perfect together but when I took her last Christmas to a dinner where I used to dogsit 2 female labs, also spayed, one of the dogs didn't pay attention to my dog but the other one was not friendly toward her.
As far as a puppy goes, I'd rather have an adult dog because of housetraining issues, etc. but I also think she would baby a puppy but I don't know.
I'll start looking into male dogs now also.
Not sure exactly what kind of dog. I've always liked Huskeys and larger dogs. My s/o likes basset hounds.
Our dog now is very energetic and though that's nice, I'm afraid to get another dog that is as energetic as she is because keeping them inside would get crazy, I'm sure.
My dog was easily housetrained and had only a couple of accidents in the house. I didn't think getting another dog would possibly change this. Another thing to think about.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:52 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,197,571 times
You might want to think about getting and older female dog. If you get an older male he might lift his leg marking his territory. I would look for a nice mellow mix like a golden or any other mellow older dog. I have 5 larger dogs from 45lbs to 63lbs and they are all females and all get along great. Two of the females, both rescues also, stick together like glue. They practically sleep with their arms around each other! One is 4 and the other is 6. I rescued the first Lyla, when she was 3 and Chyna was 9 months. I rescued them 3 months apart.
Here they are today with their little buddy Bambi, my rescue male chihuahua!

Chyna is on the right and my deaf Lyla is on the left.

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-10-2008 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs