U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 PM

702 posts, read 2,242,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Some years ago, when we lived in CT, a local Chinese restaurant was closed down because inspectors found frozen cats in the freezer. China now has McDonald's, so maybe instead of beef burgers there, they'll be eating hot dogs (literally).
This is why I always order vegetarian in Chinese restaurants.

As to the topic? Well, this is not an issue unique to China - Korea is another country that eats dogs and cats along with others. A co-worker of mine had her dog stolen from her back yard in the Philippines. She knew what the fate of her dog was and he was a family pet.

I personally believe that animals are sentient beings who feel emotions, discomfort and pain. I will always be an advocate for animals.

One last thing - I would recommend to anyone to take a closer look at Peta before you sign on to their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,350,745 times
I have yet to figure out PETA agenda. !st they dont want people owning animals..set them free. 2nd they of course dont believe in fixing animals so they cant breed. 3rd gosh dont even tink about eating an animal. So in the end we would have Animals running wild & eat us!! Ok fine eat me...better than living in this wheelchair I guess.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:44 PM

I am not against What others eat. BUT Why are we buying Dog Food ingreatants from a country that does not care about our animals be they pets or food? Really shouldnt we raise & buy our own food right here in the USA?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:32 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,199,711 times
All of Asia eats dogmeat. They all make me sick! I am sorry but mans best friend is not supposed to be eaten. My friend went to Korea and saw the open markets with dogs lined up in cages. He said the dogs could sense they were gonna be slaughtered right there for someones dinner. Those people make me sick, sorry. I know not all of those people eat dogmeat but whatever. UGH!
I only eat chicken and soon that will be off my menu too! The poor chickens suffer. I once was driving on 95 south thru the Carolinas on a 100 degree day and a huge open tractor trailer passed me with hundreds of small crates piled one on top of another with like 3 to 4 chickens squished together in each one. Some were alive and some had died from the heat I am sure. I will never forget that horror scene! Man is animalkinds worst enemy!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 PM

My son opened a video up by mistake and I saw it! For those who want to know what China does to cats and dogs go to youtube.com and type in, china animal abuse. I will never eat Chinese food and have not for 5 years now. I will never by made in China! It is hard but not impossible.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Blondie those chickens were alive & well!! 1st off as soon as the truck rolls they tuck their heads under their wings and go to sleep. Believe me whan they get unloaded they let the world know!!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I am not against What others eat. BUT Why are we buying Dog Food ingreatants from a country that does not care about our animals be they pets or food? Really shouldnt we raise & buy our own food right here in the USA?
I agree Katie! But nothing is made here anymore. My Mom just bought something and the label said made in Pakistan. We are making other countries rich and ourselves poor! Go figure....

Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times
I wish I would be a vegetarian (getting closer all the time). I have had the moral dilemma (for me) of disliking the fact that people hunt (enjoy killing, even if they do eat it) and yet I pay someone else to do my killing for me, plus, most animals raised to be eaten live and die in horrible circumstances.
Of course animals feel pain, and whether we hunt/eat animals or not, I think it is ghastly to cause suffering. I do believe there is such a thing as humane animal-keeping and eventual slaughter and eating, but it is rare.
As for the dog eating, they are kept and killed in horrific situations with much suffering.
I contribute to IAKA, the nascent Korean humane movement, apparently begun by two lovely and brave women. The inhumane treatment of dogs and cats for the food market is one of their major priorities.
Their website is koreananimals.org. I think they are really courageous, and know that you have to start somewhere. After all, there never was a humane animal movement... until someone got going and did it, and look what we have now (and so much more to come, and needed).
Appropos, I just received their mailing today. It has gotten much more sophisticated and linked with other organizations and movements.
I send postcards and letters to the president of South Korea, etc. Hey, you can't say they ignored you until you try. I am shameless- will says something like "It's not worthy of your great Christian nation" or whatever I have to say to make an articulate argument against animal cruelty (See Under: Spain and racing dogs).
Please consider visiting koreananimals.org and consider supporting this growing and wonderful organization. (I am not affiliated- I just write checks. In the beginning, when it was just the two women, I got a lovely graphic design Buddhist-style card and a hand-written note, "Thank you for helping our miserable animals." Ah, translations!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times
I wish I would be a vegetarian (getting closer all the time). I have had the moral dilemma (for me) of disliking the fact that people hunt (enjoy killing, even if they do eat it) and yet I pay someone else to do my killing for me, plus, most animals raised to be eaten live and die in horrible circumstances.
Of course animals feel pain, and whether we hunt/eat animals or not, I think it is ghastly to cause suffering. I do believe there is such a thing as humane animal-keeping and eventual slaughter and eating, but it is rare.
As for the dog eating, they are kept and killed in horrific situations with much suffering.
I contribute to IAKA, the nascent Korean humane movement, apparently begun by two lovely and brave women. The inhumane treatment of dogs and cats for the food market is one of their major priorities.
Their website is koreananimals.org. I think they are really courageous, and know that you have to start somewhere. After all, there never was a humane animal movement... until someone got going and did it, and look what we have now (and so much more to come, and needed).
Appropos, I just received their mailing today. It has gotten much more sophisticated and linked with other organizations and movements.
I send postcards and letters to the president of South Korea, etc. Hey, you can't say they ignored you until you try. I am shameless- will says something like "It's not worthy of your great Christian nation" or whatever I have to say to make an articulate argument against animal cruelty (See Under: Spain and racing dogs).
Please consider visiting koreananimals.org and consider supporting this growing and wonderful organization. (I am not affiliated- I just write checks. In the beginning, when it was just the two women, I got a lovely graphic design Buddhist-style card and a hand-written note, "Thank you for helping our miserable animals." Ah, translations!

Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM

265 posts, read 1,151,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Blondie those chickens were alive & well!! 1st off as soon as the truck rolls they tuck their heads under their wings and go to sleep. Believe me whan they get unloaded they let the world know!!
I don't think so Katie, as I happen to live in NC in a town that boasts the highest chicken production/processing...you can't even know how many end up dead on the side of the highway...and in the summer heat, stuffed 4-5 or more! to a cage, stacked atop each other, you can bet your life that many, many, many die of dehyrdation, etc. And they live absolutely horrid lives in squallor before becoming some American's dinner.

As for suffering and animal abuse, I hope y'all realize we certainly don't need to look to any foreign countries, as we have plenty of that here. Plenty. Just because we don't "eat" our "companion animals," we find plenty of other ways to torture them (research, NSA grants, etc.); and I'm sure y'all saw the horrific downed cow video and read about the lawsuit against the beef processing plant in CA (this was from last fall).

I applaud brightdoglover's committment to give to the Koreananimals.org--every little bit really does help. To quote Ghandi, be the change you want to see in the world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or