U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM

692 posts, read 3,582,580 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting here up to no good, also bored..they go hand in hand I guess.

Ted woke up today hacking like crazy (15-20 times within an hour), plus you coul see he wasn't feeling at all at his best. After a few hours I called into his vet to get him seen. His regular vet was out, but we saw the vet all of my fosters have been seen by. Turns out my poor little guy has Kennel Cough even though he's up to date on that booster.

We've been having a lot of vaccinated dogs coming down with Kennel cough lately. There have been these new strains that aren't protected under the vaccine.

So a lot of sleeping and cuddling with me seems to be on the schedule for the next two weeks. Right now he's asleep under my feet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,020,781 times
Default Awww...

He looks very relaxed, and if he's like my dogs, he'll take full advantage of your sympathy until he's feeling better.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 PM

692 posts, read 3,582,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
He looks very relaxed, and if he's like my dogs, he'll take full advantage of your sympathy until he's feeling better.
Lol that's his favorite place to sleep. I have several pictures of him in almost the same spot.

I know what you mean too. He will take full advatage of playing the pitty card.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 AM

19,817 posts, read 55,838,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
If he's like mine, he'll take full advantage AFTER he's better as well! Sorry to hear the little guy is feeling bad, hope he improves quickly.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:46 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,953,555 times
Kennel cough and just the simple cold has been going around here like wildfire. Our dogs are vaccinated too and they came down with a mild cold. The coughed randomly throughout the day, itched like crazy and even had a running nose for one day of it. I would say their 3rd day was the worse for the cough and they were over all the sx's by a week. Our vet and a vet my neighbor uses about 1/2 mile from us, said they have been seeing TONS colds and kennel cough. It's frustrating when it's strain not covered in the vaccine. Our vet said to just make sure their hunger didn't fad...other than that the sx's would resolve on their on in a week...so we never went in for a check. If they weren't eating it would be a sign to take them in for a vet visit.

Give 'ole Teddy lots of kisses and warm hugs from us. He'll be better soon! It just makes you so sad to see them not feeling better and to not be able to make the "yuck" go away.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,479,210 times
First, sorry your dog isn't well! Hope he's better soon.

Second: dogs don't get colds. Rhinoviruses, the viruses that cause the common cold, are unable to live in canine respiratroy systems because they're too warm, unlike the human respiratory tract.

Second, the vaccine for kennel cough doesn't protect against ALL the various bacteria and viruses that can cause kennel cough. And even then, the protection isn't 100% - it's only around 85%.

You also need to understand that kennel cough the name of a syndrome, not a specific disease entity. A syndrome is what we call a collection of signs and/or symptoms that have the same end result. Kennel cough is really tracheobronchitis: inflammation of the trachea and large lung airways. It is caused by Bordetella, a genus of bacteria, but it's also caused by other bacteria and by several genera of viruses. And if it's caused by a virus (and there's no way of knowing without very expensive testing), no amount of antibiotic will help.

Most vets treat symptomatically - using a cough suppressant - and sometimes antibiotics on the off chance it's bacterial in origin.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,500,947 times
awwh hope he feels better!
They said Cody had Kennel Cough but what was really going on is he would pull on the leash until he choked. ....silly!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,953,555 times
[quote=Viralmd;4840038]First, sorry your dog isn't well! Hope he's better soon.

Second: dogs don't get colds. Rhinoviruses, the viruses that cause the common cold, are unable to live in canine respiratroy systems because they're too warm, unlike the human respiratory tract.

Second, the vaccine for kennel cough doesn't protect against ALL the various bacteria and viruses that can cause kennel cough. And even then, the protection isn't 100% - it's only around 85%.
quote]

Yes, I was aware of the vaccine stats. Secondly, I merely reporting what was told to us by three different vet offices...and yes, they said "colds."

Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 AM

376 posts, read 1,613,829 times
Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 AM

4,655 posts, read 15,750,072 times
Hope Teddie is feeling better soon.

I'm just glad to be reading about this. Where I work we get folks from all four corners of the US and from other countries, so it helps us getting a heads up.

I remember about four years ago there was another strain that went through in a large way, what a nightmare! One vet clinic would usually script DAP which is both steriod and antibiotic. The steriod help to squelch the cough and of course the antibiotic to hopefully ward off anything that could be underlaying. Other clinics balked at the steriod and henceforth took a tad longer to get it under control.

What amazes me if the way people react, you'd think it was the plague and it's truly something that isn't compromising unless of course you're dealing with a dog that might have cardiac issues because if left untreated could lead to pnuemonia. That of course doesn't typically happen with your otherwise healthy dog. Viralmd, please correct me if I'm wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs