U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 PM

28,192 posts, read 47,507,934 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't dogs live 20 and 30 years?

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 AM

303 posts, read 881,879 times
Medium-Large breeds live 11 to 14 years on average, Large to very large breeds live 8 to 12 years, smaller breeds generally 14 to 22.

Our first dog King was a terror poodle mix and lived to be 18 years old. A year before he died, we got two more terror poodle mixed brother and sister. The female lived to be short of 18 years and our most senior one, Huggie, was two months from turning 20. It is possible .

Taking care of your dog is important to almost guarantee a life and happy life. Regular check ups, good quality food and a warm place to live in the winter and cool one in the summer. All of our dogs have been indoor dogs.

As to your question, why don't they live to be 20...well they do and can. Now 30, well that is just not quite possible. It must be their body chemistry I suppose.

A bit off topic, but most people don't realize that a pigeon can live to be 20 as well in a controlled environment. Your basic feral pigeon will be lucky to make it 4 years due to having to fight off hazards such as hawks and finding their own food and water.

Any animal whether a dog, cat or bird should live a long life is taken care off.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:48 PM

271 posts, read 1,109,674 times
Yep, the smaller the dog, the longer it lives.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,290,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Thanks, John
Chihuahuas and Jack Russells, particularly if they are very ill-tempered and unworkable, can live forever. It will feel like forever, anyway...

Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,978,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Chihuahuas and Jack Russells, particularly if they are very ill-tempered and unworkable, can live forever. It will feel like forever, anyway...
You're so funny!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,684 times
My Poodle Chawawa mix is 16 years old. Only thing wrong with him he has to take thyroid meds. He is so presious I can not even tell you, very well behaved, no I did not train this baby its like he just falls in to place , they do not like to be alone , he watches tv and looks at his self in the mirror , it is a privalege to have this dog . I brush him a couple times a week, wipe around eyes, eye drops every morning. I feed him Instinct raw food. He will be loyal to you till the day you or he dies; it wil be undiscrible the day that happens. If you get one of these please don't leave them alone.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor 13 View Post
Medium-Large breeds live 11 to 14 years on average, Large to very large breeds live 8 to 12 years, smaller breeds generally 14 to 22.

Our first dog King was a terror poodle mix and lived to be 18 years old. A year before he died, we got two more terror poodle mixed brother and sister. The female lived to be short of 18 years and our most senior one, Huggie, was two months from turning 20. It is possible .

Taking care of your dog is important to almost guarantee a life and happy life. Regular check ups, good quality food and a warm place to live in the winter and cool one in the summer. All of our dogs have been indoor dogs.

As to your question, why don't they live to be 20...well they do and can. Now 30, well that is just not quite possible. It must be their body chemistry I suppose.

A bit off topic, but most people don't realize that a pigeon can live to be 20 as well in a controlled environment. Your basic feral pigeon will be lucky to make it 4 years due to having to fight off hazards such as hawks and finding their own food and water.

Any animal whether a dog, cat or bird should live a long life is taken care off.
wow, I don't know if I should be happy or sad about the longevity of the smaller dogs. I did know they live longer than our bigger 4 legged kids. Our oldest Springer Spaniel lived to be just under 15, but we had a couple others that died around 11 or 12. Our little guy (Shih Tzu) is about 10 and appears to have a lot of life left in him. I want him to live to be 20 and yet, because he was never house broken before we found him wandering on a busy street I think I will go nuts if I have to worry about his tinkling in the house for another 10 years. We have been told, if small dogs are not house broken when they are very young it will never happen. I keep telling him I am going to cut it all off if he doesn't get better, he doesn't believe me. As long as we are home and let him out he is fine (unless the weather sucks) but the minute we leave he says to himself: ok, they are gone, which corner of the bed should I use this time?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
We have a history of long-lived dogs.

I had a peekapoo live for 22 years. My Labrador lived for 16 years. My husband's lab lived 15 years.

We're currently working on a basset hound mix who is 14 years old and still acts like a puppy.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM

32 posts, read 55,782 times
Growing up I had a medium sized dog that lived to 18

Old 04-15-2013, 10:03 AM

17,878 posts, read 17,716,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Thanks, John
I've had two dogs that lived past 20. Most of them have lived between 17-19 though. These are small to medium sized breeds that were fed primarily human food and real bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or