U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,319 times

Advertisements

if they get fixed early enough they dont learn to lift their legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 PM

298 posts, read 600,863 times
Default Baxter, the non-leg lifting collie, grows up

Our baby Baxter, the non-leg lifting collie, today LIFTED his leg and peed like a boy for the first time. He's now 2 years and 20 days old so I guess he's grown up at last!!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:39 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,574,823 times
My Heeler was fixed at 5 months, and didn't lift his leg until he was 2 yrs. And then only to mark, when he was relieving himself, it was squatting.

I had a rescue dog once who would ONLY pee/poop if she were on a leash! Didn't know what to do w/herself if I opened the door and just let her out!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:55 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,922,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alle View Post
Our Baxter is a 21-month old neutered male collie (neutered at 6 months). We have 2 older female collies as well. Bax is healthy and happy but he has never learned to potty by lifting his leg. He squats just like the girls. This wouldn't be a problem except on walks or trips to our cottage when he won't potty on leash. The girls go immediately, but not Baxter. He will potty in front of us in our backyard. Did anyone else ever have a male who wouldn't lift his leg on every hydrant or bush?!!!!
My 9-month old pug has this issue too. He never really learned that he was a man, so he squats like a girl. I don't really see it as too much of a problem because it's kinda nice to not have to worry about him marking his territory and peeing everywhere, or worse, being like my cat and still having the need to hump things...

Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,298,171 times
My boy is 5 years old and he has never lifted his leg. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:15 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,298,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
if they get fixed early enough they dont learn to lift their legs.
Why would that cause them to not lift their leg?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,666,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
My boy is 5 years old and he has never lifted his leg. Doesn't bother me in the least.
I also have a wonderful 5 y.o. collie boy who rarely lifts his leg, except when he is around his "cousin" a very dominant standard poodle. All things in moderation!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:20 AM

13,779 posts, read 18,681,251 times
my male chihuahua has never lifted his leg and I thank god for that because he never learned to pee on my walls that way either . and he was housebroken early enough too . I have a friend who has a chihuahua that is constantly lifting his leg inside her house and he was supposidly housebroken and neutered . so now she has to start all over again . believe me when I say you should appreciate the fact that your boy does not lift his leg .

Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,757,484 times
A male dog only lifts his leg to mark his territory and to "show who is boss". For instance, my male never ever lifts his leg in the backyard..why should he...it is his domain, no other dogs back there. He has nothing to prove. While out on a walk, he'll lift his leg each time to show he is the "larger and bigger man" around.
I guess depending how secure (or insecure) the dog is, will depend on his lifting the leg. I know many little dogs feel they need to lift their leg on anything and everything. Sort of a "Napoleon " complex thing.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM

19,126 posts, read 26,589,691 times
My parents have a male pug who wasn't neutered until he was a couple years old (it was a rescue thing, his old owners were not nice to him ) and when we got our female pug puppy she got a little confused when it came to peeing, so she kind of melded male and female peeing... she now balances herself on her front legs when she goes to the potty It's absolutely ridiculous looking, but I guess it works for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs