U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:42 PM

156 posts, read 280,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Having a sqauter is not a bad thing at all, I would personally prefer it. Our vet had told me that if you have your male dog neutered early enough chances are that he will be a "squater", which is a good thing as they never develop the instinct to "mark" their teritory. My Yorkie was a squater who would have never thought to mark in the house, until our older Cairn who was neutered late taught him to lift his leg and mark everthing in an upright position(corners, furniture etc.) Needless to say, both boys now wear belly bands because once they start to mark (which is totally different from actually urinating) indoors you can't undo the habit.
Boo was fixed at 6 months and he was a squatter at the time. About 3 months after he was fixed we moved to another apartment that was dog friendly. He gained many male playmates and was soon lifting his leg with the big boys. They do learn by example. He was never exposed to that before but once he was he picked up on it immediately.

Boo has not ever marked on anything inside and he has not peed inside since he was about 9 weeks old, he is now 10 yrs old. Except for one time when I took him to a friends house. He ran inside, ran to her feet and peed. I think it was excitment. She thought it was funny, she had dogs too. But I was so embarassed!

I have also seen female dogs lift their legs like the boys. It looks hilarious! But it is a dominance thing. Girls can do anything that boys can do! LOL it just looks funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 14,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alle View Post
Our son has a male Newfie/lab so we'll try more playdates! As for neutering at six months-it was required by the rescue group where we adopted Bax at 16 weeks. And they did check to make sure it happened and required a printout from the vet showing the surgery occurred.
my female actually lifts her leg when she pees at times XD i recently learned its because shes the dominate over the other female

Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM

8,039 posts, read 3,956,620 times
I've got a 10yr old Lab mix that has never lifted his leg and a Pug that literally falls over on his side when he lifts his leg can't keep his balance to save his soul.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,351,173 times
My (neutered) male Siberian, Bandit, does both the squat and the leg lift. (Although it's not so much a squat as a sort of crouch, with a super-elongated body.) I've noticed that if he's in a field with nothing VERTICAL around, he doesn't lift a leg. He only seems to lift the leg when he's directing his pee onto some kind of vertical surface, whether it's a tree or a bush or a pole or whatever.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,813,863 times
I got my rescue JRT when he was about 2-4ish, he was an intact male and I had the danglies removed right there at the vets and picked him up a day later. He's not been much of a marker and he's "tidy" with where he goes. Now that's he's getting on up there somewhere around 12-14ish he will squat often but every once and a while will still lift a leg.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM

7,458 posts, read 6,447,750 times
My male Lhasa didn't until he was three of four, I forget exactly, but it was a very Long time. When he did start, he made up for lost time! (Including "marking a coworker's parents' catscratch post when we stopped to visit!)

Don't let it bother you. If he prefers to hold it, let him, as long as he does hold it.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
My (neutered) male Siberian, Bandit, does both the squat and the leg lift. (Although it's not so much a squat as a sort of crouch, with a super-elongated body.) I've noticed that if he's in a field with nothing VERTICAL around, he doesn't lift a leg. He only seems to lift the leg when he's directing his pee onto some kind of vertical surface, whether it's a tree or a bush or a pole or whatever.

dave does the elongated crouch..... and he's so long and lean, he turns around and watches himself pee.....

i got him at 10 months .... the shelter neutered him at 8 weeks so he would be readily adoptable..... he has NEVER lifted his leg or marked a thing in his life... he is almost 2 now..... my girl bailey marks squats and marks when we are out and about.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs