U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 03:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,688,365 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is as a dog trainer in New York City and I am looking to get us out of here next year. I want to live in the suburbs or the country, and he can commute into a city if that is where his business is.

I was wondering if there were any specific cities or towns anywhere in the country that are in need of a great dog trainer. Maybe there is a lot of demand and not enough trainers, or maybe all of the dog trainers in the area are really poor and there needs to be a better one. Maybe there are none at all, but they are needed.

I'm not interested in any of the following cities, though (for various reasons): NYC, Boston, LA, DC, Atlanta, San Francisco, or San Diego.

I'm not just looking for 'any city' as an answer, rather I'm trying to do a little market research here, shall we say, and maybe think about moving somewhere that I hadn't thought about before. We may end up staying in the NYC metro-area, but it's still fun to explore the options.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:40 PM

12,377 posts, read 31,280,581 times
I think if you google the areas you are interested in ...google trainers in thoses areas you get a better answer.
Heres NYC list...http://www.google.com/search?q=new+y...e7&rlz=1I7SUNA

Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 PM

467 posts, read 1,688,365 times
Well the problem with that is, sometimes where you want to be, there is no need for your occupation. But if you find somewhere with an actual need, you might find you like it. I have found that the number of existing trainers doesn't determine need, either.
Also, NYC, for example, is such a huge city and in Manhattan, not many people would take a dog to be trained in the financial district when they live uptown. So simply thinking, hey I want to be a dog trainer in NYC, might be a bad idea, you would need to pinpoint the neighborhoods in specific that don't have enough trainers. But that might be an NYC-specific problem because of not having cars.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:06 PM

12,377 posts, read 31,280,581 times
IF you find out how many trainers are in an area. Then you could see what the population of the area is. That could help you. But in my area doesnt mater about all that or trainers...people here dont have time to train their dogs. To busy commuting to jobs. Real sad. I am handicap & what few trainers that are in my area dont even work with the handicap. Any way those were my best ideas... perhaps others will chime in & give you more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs