U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:33 AM

1,479 posts, read 7,034,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
thanks. yes i did. i just dont understand people. they take dog ownership so lightly. i may be neurotic about my dogs-people at work laught at me when i talk about my dogs, thinking i'm a nut case because of the way i baby them. oh well.
matter of fact, some men i have met, have given up pursuing me because they dont understand why i cant just leave my dogs for the night alone at home, and that i actually pay big bucks to board them in a doggy dude ranch with webcams etc when i go out of town. i dont care. i dont want a man who doesnt care as much as i do about dogs. and if i cant find one that does, i would rather live the rest of my life alone with my dogs thank you very much
I think that how we and society care for dogs--and all animals for that matter--says a great deal about how we care for humans. Perhaps people get so busy doing for themselves that they forget that we all have a responsibility to each other and to the creatures that depend on us. Or perhaps we as a society are so used to disposable things (it broke? not what you wanted? too hard to use? throw it away and get another!!) that we've forgotten how to preserve, cherish and care for things. In our parent's and grandparent's generation, friendships lasted a lifetime. I'm not so sure that's the case anymore. If people have difficulty sustaining a relationship with a human it's not surprising that they aren't committed to their animals, nor is it surprising that many people don't understand those who are committed.

My husband wasn't a typical "animal lover" when we met, but I knew he had potential and could be trained, and he was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:20 AM

3,494 posts, read 12,967,251 times
yes! good idea! i always carry my digital camera with me (since my blackberry doesnt have a camera), always ready for any situation where i will need to have "proof" of something e.g. got hit by another car etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Am surprised how cavalier their attitude was, I thought they were pretty in tune w/ stuff like that but I guess dogs are low priority on their list, possibly it was just a bad time and they were busy w/ whatever. If you (or anyone) is ever in the same situation, it might be a good idea to take a picture w/ your cell phone (if you have one and if it has that feature) so they can actually see what the poor dogs were going thru (maybe send it to the local newspaper where they can publish it in their Letters to the Editor) - the poor dogs . Good luck on Monday!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:22 AM

yes i totally agree and think it is very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I think that how we and society care for dogs--and all animals for that matter--says a great deal about how we care for humans. Perhaps people get so busy doing for themselves that they forget that we all have a responsibility to each other and to the creatures that depend on us. Or perhaps we as a society are so used to disposable things (it broke? not what you wanted? too hard to use? throw it away and get another!!) that we've forgotten how to preserve, cherish and care for things. In our parent's and grandparent's generation, friendships lasted a lifetime. I'm not so sure that's the case anymore. If people have difficulty sustaining a relationship with a human it's not surprising that they aren't committed to their animals, nor is it surprising that many people don't understand those who are committed.

My husband wasn't a typical "animal lover" when we met, but I knew he had potential and could be trained, and he was!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 AM

man i would have been fired up. i would have of course taken pictures. (i always carry a camera), and i would have waited in the parking lot until they came out, or i would have had them paged inside walmart-just think, they would probably come to customer service thinking someone backed into their truck in the parking lot. and then give them a piece of my mind.
and if i couldnt wait and didnt have a camera, i would ask a person who looks like a nice person, to take a picture with their cell phone and then email it to you...............and i would have left a nasty note on their windshield
i'd like to put the owners of those dogs in cages like that
argh! let us know what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Oh! Boy! I would have had words with that guy. I would have given him a piece of my mind. When it comes to animals I let the idiot owners know right from wrong. I found a dog laying on grass by the road of a home at 3am one time by my sons home......I put her in my sons sunroom for overnight. Went to neighbor behind my son with her in the morning. The idiot owner did not even know his dog was missing. He said he had a doggie door and his dogs go in and out all day and all night and the little fat pitbull jumps over the four foot fence....well he closed off that doggie door at night now...boy did I give him a mouthful in a polite way! And you should have seen what I saw last night in the Walmart parking lot...a home made steel cage with hardly any ventilation strapped to the back of a small pickup truck...get this...it was about maybe 30 inches high and 36 inches wide....I thought I was seeing things at first, I said no way in this heat would anyone leave a dog in there. I parked my car and looked in that cage...OMG the guy had two big cute dogs in there plus a little one. He had a panel in the middle to separate the two big dogs. One was alone and the other had the little dog with him/her. They were suffering from heat exhaustion. I was in the store for and hour and when I came out that truck was still there. I called 911 and they could give two sheets....the operator said, "Lady it is hot outside for humans too! I told her yea but we are not squished in a cage like that. Those dogs could not stand up in that cage and I do not know how the idiot even got them in. They barely fit in there. I was sick all night with no sleep! I got the plate number and am calling the Humane Society on Monday.....trust me, I am not done with that situation yet! People make me sick!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:18 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,223,377 times
Ya know, I thought about that.... (taking pics of that cage) when I got home....my Canon digital camera is always on me...how dumb not to take a pic. I could shoot myself now! I have an interent friend who lives in Hollywood, Fl. and she is friends with someone who investigates animal abuse.....I will ask her for advice on persuing this idiot with that steel cage! Will keep you guys posted. I just hope that big shepard mix made it, it did not look good when I first spotted it in that cage! UGH!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:24 PM

ya know, i was thinking..........if i confronted them, telling them regardless of the fact that they supposedly had the other neighbors feeding and watering their dogs, to leave those dogs out there with NO shelter from the blaring 100 plus degree sun was unacceptable, and that if the neighbors were doing a good job of watching over them, dont you think they would have noticed the fence post down and the dogs going in and out of the backyard? HECK I WORK 10 HOUR SHIFTS and I NOTICED IT!!!!! And their neighbors are a big family-with kids not in school yet, and stay at home mom and husband who works normal 8 hour days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they should have made sure that the dogs were properly contained by at the very least blocking that fence with a big trash can or something.
i know that if i say something they will think i am neurotic. i was thinking that right before i move out of this house in end of september, I PRINT OUT THESE PAGES OF THIS THREAD, so they can see all the ANGUISH i experienced, ALL THE CONCERN I HAD OVER DOGS THAT ARENT EVEN MINE, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, OTHER PEOPLE LIKE YALL HAD THE SAME OPINION ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!! What do yall think? I MUST let them know how i feel before i leave.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:04 PM

947 posts, read 3,000,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Oh! Boy! I would have had words with that guy. I would have given him a piece of my mind. When it comes to animals I let the idiot owners know right from wrong. I found a dog laying on grass by the road of a home at 3am one time by my sons home......I put her in my sons sunroom for overnight. Went to neighbor behind my son with her in the morning. The idiot owner did not even know his dog was missing. He said he had a doggie door and his dogs go in and out all day and all night and the little fat pitbull jumps over the four foot fence....well he closed off that doggie door at night now...boy did I give him a mouthful in a polite way! And you should have seen what I saw last night in the Walmart parking lot...a home made steel cage with hardly any ventilation strapped to the back of a small pickup truck...get this...it was about maybe 30 inches high and 36 inches wide....I thought I was seeing things at first, I said no way in this heat would anyone leave a dog in there. I parked my car and looked in that cage...OMG the guy had two big cute dogs in there plus a little one. He had a panel in the middle to separate the two big dogs. One was alone and the other had the little dog with him/her. They were suffering from heat exhaustion. I was in the store for and hour and when I came out that truck was still there. I called 911 and they could give two sheets....the operator said, "Lady it is hot outside for humans too! I told her yea but we are not squished in a cage like that. Those dogs could not stand up in that cage and I do not know how the idiot even got them in. They barely fit in there. I was sick all night with no sleep! I got the plate number and am calling the Humane Society on Monday.....trust me, I am not done with that situation yet! People make me sick!

GRRRRRRRRRRR

i am so upset by people all the time, i want a job where i can actually help all these animals from Evil people!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 PM

947 posts, read 3,000,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post

Wow, leorah, I totally agree with you!!!

things are so different, it is almost hard to find quality, caring, loving people these days. You are so right that people do Not want to be committed to things in life including the animals that need Us!!!

My boyfriend and I are both vegetarian, for many years, (we both were b4 we got together) and both of us have strong compassion for animals, we were crying the other day reading about so many homeless, in need pets out there waiting for homes.

so much to do to help animals, seems soooo overwhelming!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 PM

OMG YALL. YALL WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in tears........

I just walked to the very back corner of my backyard, the part closest to the privacy fence of my neighbors..and guess what I found?

All three bowls that I used to fill up with food and water to their dogs, were THROWN INTO MY BACKYARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not brought to my house, but THROWN OVER THE FENCE!!!

Please keep in mind, I am a very quiet 43 year old Registered Nurse-I do nothing but work and stay at home with my dogs, and go to cowboy church on sunday and go to team ropin' once or twice a week. I don't have many visitors, never blast any kind of music, keep the house and yard kept up. I have never said one ill word to these people-heck I have only spoke to them a few times, to introduce myself and to learn the names of their dogs. There is NO reason for this spiteful behavior. I am a nice person. There is nothing to DISLIKE about me, because heck, they dont even know me!!!! And I have done nothing that would be cause to be angry with me, unless they are angry that I was concerned with their dogs welfare.

NOW I AM FUMING MAD. I CANT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, I want yalls feedback. I am not assertive and cant really bring myself to say anything to them personally. I know I will let them know in writing when I move in end of Sept.

I AM SHOCKED BEYOND WORDS and crying.

Like my good friend always told me, "no good deed goes unpunished" I guess he was right.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:43 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,498,367 times
When people are Not nice to animals How do you expect them to be nice to people.
And it would have been nice if they had returned them directly to you.
Now me I would have returned them to you & asked you what you had fed my dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or