U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM

3,494 posts, read 12,974,447 times

Advertisements

preface by saying i know how to spell sheetzu the correct way, this forum is blocking the actual spelling because it is the same letters as an ugly word for poopy.

I have new neighbors-just moved in last month-typical military family, just like 99 percent of the folks here. Met them and have "small talked" with them, that's about it.
They have three purebred dogs (one large bird dog type dog, a bassetthound and a sheetzu).
They seemed to have been taking care of them fine.
Two days ago, I was walking my dogs and noticed their lab down the road, so obviously he had gotten out of the fenced yard.
I go to their house and see one slat/fence post has been torn off (maybe pushed off by dogs) and thats how he escaped.
The bassett hound was in the fenced yard. No sign of sheetzu.
Went to front door 8am, no answer, knocked,rang door bell. Only one car in driveway. (they have two). So i go to work, nothing i can do. i cant get into their yard cuz its locked, to put their dogs in a secure fenced yard of my house.
I come home 10 hours later-no change-two dogs loose, in and out of yard, no sheetzu, no sign of neighbors having come home.
It is 100 degree days this week in Texas. Very hot and sunny.
Their yard has NO covered patio, no shelter, no trees. just a glass table and i think one or two igloo things.
That night I give dogs food and water, the best i can, squeezing bowls thru the open slat part of fence.
I leave a note on the window, letting them know that their dogs have been escaping and i dont know if they have been home or not, and that if they are out of town i would gladly dogsit anytime, and stated that maybe they had gone away with sheetzu and left the two bigger dogs.
They know i am major dog lover. MAJOR. have two of my own.
next morning-no change. dogs are loose, bowls i squeezed thru are knocked over in the yard (I CANNOT TELL IF THEY HAD LEFT A SELF WATERING SYSTEM OR FOOD FOR DOGS-PICKET FENCE TOO HIGH EVEN IF I TIPPY TOE IN MY BACKYARD TO LOOK INTO THEIRS)
I leave a note that morning again, expressing concern that maybe the whole family-husband soldier and wife, and three kids have been in a wreck and are in an ICU somewhere or something??? i cant think of any other reason they would have just left the dogs unattended and uncared for.
Tonite is now night 3.
I go to work tomorrow till 6pm. will keep looking to see if they show up. my two letters are still taped to their door.
i have fed the dogs dinner and given them water (the best i can, since i cant squeeze the bowls in very good thru the slat, and when i do, there is no flat ground to place them on, on the other side of the fence, so i also leave food/water on theoutside of fence if they escape as they have been last few days.
WHAT DO I DO???????how much longer do i wait? it is 100 degrees HOT HOT HOT SUNNY. cant adequately give em water. dont know if they have a self watering thing. dont know if they are getting dehydrated.
HELP! I AM SO WORRIED

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-14-2008 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: use different spelling for breed that will not be censored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM

12,448 posts, read 31,544,117 times
Do you live on base? If so call the MP an tell them whats going on.
If you live off base call the dog warden.
Or since the dog got out you could put them in your yard. AND check local hospitals.
Contact the base. Call the police.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:26 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,659,682 times
Call the animal control and police!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:39 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,900,116 times
I agree! Put a call in pronto to animal control! I'm in Texas as well, and I can't imagine those poor dogs being outdoors 24/7 in this heat! Keep us posted...I'd love to know if they just took off on vacation or what

Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM

thanks for everyone's concern and taking the time to reply. i am thoroughly mentallly and physically exhausted and stressed over this.

no i dont live on post...i am a defense contractor, not active duty or a dependent.

there is no humane society here, and the animal control place is a kill shelter. i dont want to put my neighbors dogs in a place that will euthanize them if they aint claimed or adopted in x amount of days, though they are great dogs-bassett hound and chocolate lab and heck, if it came down to it, i would take them before they would put them to sleep and if i couldnt keep them, would take them to Second Chance No Kill Shelter.

i will call animal control tomorrow and talk to them. but they probably wouldnt be able to get into the fenced yard if its locked, and i am sure it is. and the bassett hound and chocolate lab would have to willingly come out into the front yard thru that fence post missing area..........

the neighbors seemed like decent people-they would take the dogs in alot, into the house, and i think the dogs slept inside at nite. my dogs love them, peeking thru the cracks in the fence and barking and sniffing each other. the neighbors see me walk my dogs twice a day, and baby them all the time. they KNOW i am a dog person. it's my mistake that i didnt come right out and make the offer to dogsit if they ever needed it, but heck, they just moved in a few weeks ago and i have hbeen busy working etc, and havent had the chance to really run into them too much or talk much. i SHOULD have given them my phone number, and had told them i would but forgot. well the letters taped to their door, now have my numbers, email etc...all contact info they need. i would sure like to have theirs in case....i mean, what if they were at the Schlitterbaum or Fiesta Texas for the day, or just for the nite and they got in a wreck and area ll in the ICU or ER somewhere???????? at least if one of them were conscious, they would have been able to call me....or would have heard from me, since i would have been able to call THEM and find out whats up

i am so frustrated and angry and sad and nervous. i know i cant save the world...but i love dogs too much.
there is a very friendly sweet stray white pit bull roaming our fancy subdivisision going on four weeks now. i feed it and give it water out in my driveway. i have called animal control but they say they can never find him...hmmmmmm i walk my dogs twice a day and he always comes to join us on the walks so he IS hanging out ONLY on my road or in near proximity.

argh yall..........i am so tired. i got to get some rest cuz i have to work tomorrow.....
THE ONLY EXCUSE I WILL ACCEPT FOR MY NEIGHBORS TO HAVE LEFT THEIR DOGS UNATTENDED IN THE HEAT FOR MANY DAYS IS IF THEY ARE DEAD OR THE TWO ADULTS (HUBBY AND WIFE) ARE BOTH INTUBATED, ON A VENTILATOR, OR HAD A TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY OR ARE VICTIMS OF MULTIPLE TRAUMA OR BEING HELD HOSTAGE IN MEXICO OR SOMETHING. THERE IS NO OTHER EXCUSE. Sorry i think like the ER nurse i am...always have that possibliity of trauma in the back o f my mind
To top it all off, if they ARE on vacation, and they DIDNT WANT TO IMPOSE ON ME, he's a freakin SOLDIER. even if he just PCS'd to the area, HE HAS HIS COMMAND, HE HAS HIS SECTION-someone would have helped a battle buddy and help him take care of his dogs or atleast come by and feed/water them...ARGH
and then, if they did that, they should have ALSO MADE SURE THEY HAD REALLY GOOD SHELTER. those IGLOOS sittin in wide open yard in blaring sun cannot be cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. what would the police do?????????

i tell ya, my plan is, i will call my other neighbor around 4pm tomorrow from work, and ask her to go see if there are signs of them being home-biggest sign would be, my letters no longer on the front door. IF THEY ARE NOT HOME, i will call animal control before they close at 5pm, and let them do what they can. if they dont do anything, i will wait till both dogs get out of the fence, or one at a time, and take them BOTH into my nice AC house with covered patio yard, and lots of ice water bowls chock full of ICE CUBES.

what i DID do this evening, i took a TROUGH from my backyard, and it is very wide and big but kinda shallow. i put it against the fence, where they go in and out, the broken part, and propped it so it would not be a slope and took my water hose and filled it up with water, so they can stick their heads out of the fence and drink water. and maybe that will be enough to stop them from walking thru the fence part t hat is broken

I WANT TO ADD!!!!!!!!!! i know this is minor petty compared to my major stressor and concern right now, but I AM AWARE that my posts on this subject are poorly written, with no regard to grammar, and such and are very rambling, and perhaps come across as word salad or derailed thought processed but please understand that right now i am exhausted and upset. but still feel the need to VENTILATE to someone-and i know there are lots of dog lovers like me on here. so i dont care about my run on senteneces etc.........i just need to get my point across and express my frustration and concerns. thanks yall for listening. appreciate all the feedback and advice. will defnitely keep yall updated when i get home tomorrow nite from work. so stay tuned

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-14-2008 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,788,374 times
Animal Control should be able to help. That's terrible. The heat must be awful and dogs dehydrate VERY quickly.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:38 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,900,116 times
Vent away! We can feel your frustration just oozing thru the screen!
My only thoughts are...I think animal control can only take the dogs (to safety), if they come out on their own or they deem them as being deserted. I hope you can can some help to them by tomorrow.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 PM

12,448 posts, read 31,544,117 times
The police can check Inside the house for the other dog & look for contact numbers. & find out who their CO is...I would go that route & tell the police you are willing to care for the dogs. The police can cut the lock off...

Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,659,682 times
Police could find out the whereabouts of the family by contacting his command.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 PM

but i dont know his last name, and i forget what unit he is in -dont know if he is 1ST CAV or 4TH ID!!!!! i dont think i even remember his MOS...probably one of the millions of 11b's!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Police could find out the whereabouts of the family by contacting his command.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or