Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,329 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share a great read. I just finished reading, Just This Side of Heaven by Timothy Glass. Great book for dog lovers or anyone who has ever suffered a loss. Loved the chapter on the Dash what a unique way to rethink life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
LOL...I can't believe you mentioned this! A friend of mine just passed it on to me yesterday, but I have not had the chance to get into it yet!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Uh, just how many boxes of kleenex will one need?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Uh, just how many boxes of kleenex will one need?
Ain't that the truth! Picture of an adorable little Beagle on the cover....I'm afraid to find out what happens to her!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,329 times
Default How Many Tissues for Just This Side of Heaven

You will need tissues, but it was a page turner for me and worth the read.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 21,147 times
I'll have to find it. I'm always on the lookout for Dog stories.
If you too enjoy Dog stories, I read "Lost and Found" authored by Jaqueline Sheehan
Not a heavy read, but it kept my attention in the train for a few hours

Old 05-31-2009, 01:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
I'll have to look for it, I love reading stories about dogs, both fact and fiction.

Here are some that I've read and love:

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Enzo tells his life story on the last day of his life. You'll laugh and cry. It's also available as an audio unabridged audio book and the reader is excellent.

Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier. Subtitled - Deepening our relationships with dogs.

Dog Years - a memoir by Mark Doty

Home Waters by Joseph Monninger Another memoir - fishing with an old friend.

Pack of Two by Caroline Knapp - the intricate bond between people and dogs.

Tell Me Where it Hurts by Nick Trout, DVM. Stories from the world of veterinary medicine. My favorite line in the book is the quintessential explaination of why Labradors ingest the things they do: "It was there, so I ate it."

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin. She has Asperger's Syndrome and presents animals (not just dogs) from a very different perspective.

An Angel by my Side by Mike Lingenfelter. After a bad heart attack he gets a dog who ultimately learns how to alert him to impending heart problems.

All the books by Jon Katz about the dogs of Bedlam Farm.

A Friend Like Henry by Nuala Gardner. True story of how Henry the dog helped with her son's autism.

Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote. He finds Merle on a camping trip, brings him home to Wyoming and Merle spends lots of time in the great outdoors.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:56 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I'd also recommend:

Edgar Sawtell

Both books by Willard Bailey "Remembering to Breath inside dog obedience competition"...a fun look at a beginner jumping into obedience training and competition and "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Life with Competition Dogs OTCH Dearms"...a continuation of Willard's story with his Golden and also a wonderful section on "it's time" and knowing when it's time for your partner to cross the bridge. And his first attempt and finding a "well bred" dog and all the pit falls of dealing with breeders...Willard got what he thought was a well bred BC and then found out later that the sire had never been tested for hips etc. and he had been told he had...apparently many many people had made this same mistake...so be sure to ASK to see the test results for each dog!

I didn't see Marley and Me on this list...no one wants a Marley and it's a real eye opener for first time dog owners on how not to select a dog and not train the dog...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs