U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,225,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Doglover View Post
I agree. It is one thing to want what's best for your dog, but another to let your own personal appeasement take over, making you force the dog into things he or she does not desire.

Whatever floats your boat! As animal lovers we would never do harm to our pets. Just read all our blogs! Some people like to dress up for Halloween, some do not! As for all of us Animal Lovers on this forum...we want and give nothing but the best for our pets or as I (We) call them...my kids!

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-19-2008 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,029,897 times
[quote=tstone;4918735]My dog loves his clothes. He gets very excited when I pull them out. Clothes = sweaters, one of which is custom made for his long, hot-dog shaped body. He starts shivering when it gets below 70 degrees. (He's a real Texas dog.)

Moderator cut: edit /QUOTE]

Yes, some of those are ridiculous... but how CUTE is this one? Is that even a real dog??

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-20-2008 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: part of quoted text deleted

Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,029,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I just love the word "snarky"!
Me too... it's one of my favorite words, and I totally over-use it on the forums. I agree though, it's not nice to be rude to people over this - as long as no animals are being harmed or made unhappy, I don't see where it's anyone else's business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Sorry to incur the wrath of some of my fellow dog lovers but I still say that dressing your dog in clothes is for your own imagination and amusement. To think otherwise is a delusion. Having said that, I don't see any harm in the practice itself as long as the dog is not uncomfortable. Just don't kid yourself that the dog is as amused as you are.
Oh, I know my dog didn't give a hoot! He was indifferent about being dressed up - kind of like getting a new harness or collar. Definitely more for the human's enjoyment, unless it's a matter of weather protection. My best friend has two Malti-Poos, and I swear they have an entire TRUNK full of clothing... she claims it's because they get cold, but she lives near San Jose (where it rarely drops below 50), and not all of the outfits are even warm.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-20-2008 at 12:22 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,260,673 times
Default Not to belabor the point ...

It is not snarky or rude to suggest that if your dog is not excited by the things you wear it is reasonable to assume that he does not give a hoot about his own clothes. "Does your dog care if you dress up?" is a perfectly appropriate question to ask. It is not meant to be sarcastic.

Anyway, at the end of the day it is your dog. You can dress your dog as you please but remember that the only ones who benefit (one emotionally and the other financially) are you and the people who sell clothes for dogs. Not the dog.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,127,041 times
Whatever!

I hope my new baby boy gets big enough to inherit that size XL, red hoodie!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 32,275 times
I think it is fine dressing your dog if your dog doesn't mind it. I dress my dog only for special occasions or when it's really cold out and he likes it because he knows he will get loads of attention. But most of the time, I let my dog be a dog and that means he runs around in the dirt and has a good old time.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 PM

692 posts, read 3,586,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
It is not snarky or rude to suggest that if your dog is not excited by the things you wear it is reasonable to assume that he does not give a hoot about his own clothes. "Does your dog care if you dress up?" is a perfectly appropriate question to ask. It is not meant to be sarcastic.

Anyway, at the end of the day it is your dog. You can dress your dog as you please but remember that the only ones who benefit (one emotionally and the other financially) are you and the people who sell clothes for dogs. Not the dog.
So you're saying I should let my dog chew and scratch himself bloody instead of putting a shirt fit for his body onto him? Right.

Seeing as I've taken him to several vets, done blood work, tried many medications; all that have failed. Yes they're cute on him, but if he didn't have to wear them he wouldn't.

I'd say he benifits from not getting horrible infections from the gashes he no longer has. There is no more yelping from him breaking his own skin. He no longer has hair loss.

Moderator cut: edit
Moderator cut: edit I don't see the need for most dog clothes, but a T-shirt or hoddie? Heck I dressed Britches up in adoption shirts and some of Ted's shirts when he got here.. Now he breaks the stitching.. If I've still got him when Fall/Winter comes around I might make him a hoddie.

Might I just add Ted's only a FuFu dog on the outside? He looks like a drown rat from being out in the rain.. He plays with my big dogs, and is far from a prissy dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke DogLover
But I don't force him to it, I let him choose.
[mod] deleted off-topic comment on moderation
I like how you say you let him choose.

That's like putting a poisoned steak infront of a dog and saying "I let him choose" You could have a better come back than that!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-20-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: removed comment re:mods/edited orphaned remark

Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 24,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
That's like putting a poisoned steak infront of a dog and saying "I let him choose" You could have a better come back than that!
Fair point.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:42 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,324,213 times
MODERATOR:

Thread closed pending review by Pets moderators.

Folks, we are here to discuss and swap ideas...nothing else. Please be mindful of the Terms of Service when you post.

http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs