Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 AM

152 posts, read 469,918 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of moving to a new state and everyone keeps asking us if we are taking our dogs with? Why would anyone ask this question? I don't get it. I would rather drive the 12 hours with the three dogs than my four kids anyday. Much less whining!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,595 times
I guess those folks think that animals are disposable...hope you're setting 'em straight! Good luck with the move, BTW!

~PudelPie

Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMomof4 View Post
We are in the process of moving to a new state and everyone keeps asking us if we are taking our dogs with? Why would anyone ask this question? I don't get it. I would rather drive the 12 hours with the three dogs than my four kids anyday. Much less whining!!
Totally agree with that one, I drove from Florida to Texas with 2 dogs and one 15 year old son. Husband got the short straw he had the parrot with him lol

Old 08-18-2008, 12:12 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I agree, a lot of folks think that animals can just be pawned off on someone else or to the already overcrowded shelters. My pets are all a part of my family I would and could never dream of just giving them up!
I have a dog, three cats and two horses. When we were considering moving back down south for a job, the first thing we did was figure out when to take the animals down! I had a board situation for my horses before my OWN home! LOL It makes me sick to think how some people treat their pets but it's going to happen everywhere.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I just don't get it! We were actually asked the same when we were transferred from Ca. to Texas! I usually ans. with, why wouldn't I?

When my kids were younger, people would always ask why does the dog get to sit in the front seat of the van and the kids are in the back.
My ans. was....the dog doesn't talk back, the dog doesn't change my radio station and the dog doesn't mess with the air-conditioner. Kids in back...dog in front!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,340 times
LOL that is funny - I drove from Texas to Michigan with 2 kitties, 3 BIG dogs and 16 rabbits...what we do for our 4 legged "kids"!! Good luck and safe travels!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM

152 posts, read 469,918 times
I love that kids in the back... dog up front. I usually say "uh yeah" . One of my aunts asked me this saying we could find other homes for them, I asked her if she was volunteering her house? She said "no". I don't think she will ask that question anymore. My dogs are not accessories for my house. Although the couple we are renting our house to is trying to get us to leave them one of them. That's not going to happen.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I agree I would never give up my pets because I was moving. Back in 1970 my parents moved us from Illinois to California via car. at the time there were 3 of us kids still at home, a good sized dog , A couple rats and a pet Raccoon. They all came with us. The raccon's travel cage was in the back of the station wagon and as we came into California the border inspector that you had to go through back then was seraching the back of the car and the raccoon stuck her paw out and grabbed his hand. The look on the guys face as he pulled his hand away and asked " what in the heck is that?" was priceless!

Having grown up with a raccoon as a pet I will say ( so I do not get comments about wild animals as pets) that I would never encourage anyone to have one as a pet,as wild animals belong in the wild.Yes she was cool and she could be sweet and loving but she could turn vicious for no obvious reason and boy those teeth are sharp. When we took her in as a baby the plans had been to rasie her and set her free, well lets just say she was a fussey spoiled eater and since a raccoon in the wild could not buy Captain Crunch cereal or marshmellows there was no way she could provide for herself so my parents accepted the responsibility had her spayed and she moved to CA with us and lived about 12 yrs. despite her terrible diet!

She got along well with the dog and with the next dog too and with the cats that we got over the years and my rabbit. The raccoons cage would be open so she could wander the fenced yard all day ( closed in the cage at night) and frequently one of the cats or even my rabbit would be curled up in the cage with the raccoon having gone in the open door themselves. I don't think she knew she was any different then any of the other " kids".

Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
Can you imagine not taking your dogs/pets? Years ago though I was moving from Europe back to the US and I didn't know what to do with my cat since I was moving to a place that couldn't take her. I cried inconsolably and then arranged to ship her to my parents (California). In hindsight, I wish I had just found an apartment that would allows cats. Animals are forever; boyfriends come and go ... something like that.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:46 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
As a breeder I moved 10 miles with 20 dogs & several pups. People kept showing up wanting different dogs. I guess they thought because we were moving Id just give them a dog. I politely told all to Give me a week or 2 to get settled in the new location & I would be more than happy to interview you. Needless to say I never heard from any of them again!

Another time we moved 70 miles & several people want me to Give them my Horses!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs