U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 PM

3,494 posts, read 12,967,251 times

Advertisements

Ok yall..............
For those of yall who have kept up with, or read my thread titled "Help! Neglected Neighbors Dogs", I have another "concurrent" doggy drama going on in my life that I would like to address here, now that the other one has had closure.

About a month ago, a "stray" apparently homeless white pitbull or pitbull mix with orange big spots began hanging out in my subdivision (not known for stray animals, by the way).

For the first week or so, he was very guarded, would just stare at me and my dogs as I walked my pug and boston terrier twice a day. I was leary of him.

Second week, he started joining us on our walks, and would start to be playful with my dogs, and let me pet him.

I noticed he was knocking over neighbors trashcans trying to find food.

I started putting bowls of food and water near my driveway/sidewalk daily.

I called Animal Control, and so did neighbors, several times. Each time, they said "yes we have made rounds and never find him". ......hmmm he's ALWAYS here and manages to be around on my twice daily walks.
Week three, I am starting to feel bad. "Buddy" (name i gave him), starts whining as I approach my door each day at the end of the walk, sad that he cant come in the house with me and my dogs.

I take a few pics of him, put an ad in Craigs List, begging someone to give this dog a home, since Animal Control cant find him.
A soldier and his wife, email me, stating that they will come take him.

Two days ago, they made arrangements to meet me at home, after I got off of work. Buddy was found curled up in front of my front door, soaking wet from torrential downpours, trying to find shelter under my small awning.
I opened my garage and dried him off, sprayed him with some flea and tick spray and brushed him, and put a bandanna around his neck, and of course gave him some dry dog food since the other food had gotten soaked in the rain, sitting out in my driveway/sidewalk. I sat with him in the garage, telling him "guess what Buddy? you wont have to be homeless any more! i found you a mommy and daddy!!". he sat there with big ole sweet eyes and enjoyed the attention and me petting him and he would shake my hand and he would sit when i told him to, and then he would play with my dogs in the garage, as we sat waiting for the soldier and wife.

They arrived, and I gave them a big ole bag of dry dog food I had bought for Buddy, and gave them a leash. They prepared the seat in their car with beach towels. Buddy came to greet them, guarded, and then walked away. I called Buddy-he came to me. I tried to get him to follow me to the car. He wouldn't. I gently held his bandanna and tried to guide him to the car-he "almost" bit me on the forearm. I immediately stopped. Then Buddy started to walk down the road, away from us all, looking back as we were all calling him. I apologized to the soldier and his wife, thanked them for at least offering, and off they went.

I set up my garage door half way open, so Buddy would have shelter for the night and next day, with rain and storms in the forecast. I put a blanket in there, and of course water, food, and bones.

One of my neighbors came out and asked what was going on-I told her. She said "put him in my fenced yard and i will call Animal Control tomorrow" (since i couldnt do it, since i work during the hours they are open). So I had Buddy follow me into her yard. No more than 10 minutes, and she came to my house and said "he escaped from the yard" (her fence was not that secure).

I called Animal Control the next morning (today) before I went to work and left a voice mail. Told them, they should be able to definitely find Buddy since now he has good shelter and the weather is bad, so he would be there. I told them it's ok to go into my garage-its propped open.

I called around 4pm today and asked them if they got him. They said that they had shot him with a tranquilizer gun to sedate him so that they could secure him. But after he was "shot" he ran off into the woods (i have lots of open range and woods and creek behind my subdivision), and they couldnt find him.
I figured after the sedative wore off, he would come back to my house, so I looked in my garage when I got home, and he wasnt there.
I don't know where he is. I am worried.
Weather supposed to be bad-rain/storms-for a few days more I think (and boy do we need it here in Texas after weeks and weeks of 100 degree days with NO clouds in sight!). So I am leaving my garage open in case he shows up. (nothing worth stealing in there anyway).
Anticipating he will probably show up again..unless the coyotes got him when he had finally lost consciousness from the sedative and gone to sleep out on the range.

But if Buddy does show up, it will be the same circus-Animal Control not being able to get him etc............
Argh!

Not asking for any advice, but feedback is welcome. Just basically wrote this to ventilate, cuz this has been the other stressful "doggy drama" going on in my life besides the neglected neighbor dogs drama of this past week.
I think I have a sign on my forehead "if you are a dog who needs food, water, love, attention, safety, security....come to me". ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS SIGN ON THEIR FOREHEAD????????????? SURELY THERE MUST BE!!

I cant save the world. I want to. But this is all wearing me out and I am a Registered Nurse and need to maintain my emotional and physical strength to do my job 10 hours a day at the hospital too!!!!!!!!!!!!
Calgon take me away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***The reasons why I dont/havent taken "Buddy" in are: I am a renter, I dont want more than two dogs until I have a "ranch" of my own, I cant afford more dogs right now, I am not keen on pitbull type dogs, He has the 'potential' to be aggressive (he almost bit me), and i just simply like my delicate ecosystem i have now-two small dogs, one little doggy door that they both can use cuz they are the same size, and my dogs are very bonded together and i just dont want to introduce another brother/sister to them until i get much more space...

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-19-2008 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 AM

1,479 posts, read 7,034,238 times
Belle, the only things I can think of would require you to be home to make them work.

If he comes back, perhaps you can entice him into the garage with food, then close the door and call Animal Control.

Or, if you can borrow a large crate, see if he'll eat and/or den in the crate, and carefully close the door to constrain him.

He's sort of bonded with you but not enough to make him overcome his natural fear, so getting him to go voluntarily with strange people will be difficult.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 AM

265 posts, read 1,154,720 times
Wow...you're doing the good work, Belle! I know you don't want to keep "Buddy" but have you considered possibly fostering him? That way, you could aclimate him to living indoors, expose him to other people (a lot), and ultimately find a new home for him...you said in your last post re: animal control that he'll very likely be euthanized if picked up. I know you can't save the world, and if you don't feel like you can foster, understood. Just trying to brainstorm...and save Buddy

Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
Poor Buddy. There has to be a rescue group in your area that could take him, once you've got him in the garage/house. Google pit rescue and see who's closest to you - you might have to drive him to them on the weekend. They will not put him down, rescue groups don't do that. Good luck!

PS I just adopted a pitbull mix and he is the sweetest dog I've had in a while. Very obediant and willing to please. If Buddy had wanted to bite you, he would have - he was just telling you "stop"

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-20-2008 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: added PS

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM

702 posts, read 2,246,248 times
I agree with the fostering or contacting a pitbull rescue for Buddy. You have a kind soul Belle. I think it's a really good sign that he is friendly with your little dogs. The fact that he bit you when you were trying to put him in the car with the potential adopters tells me he was very fearful. If he wanted to really hurt you he would have. I agree he was telling you to stop.

If only all the pitties had advocates like you. I hope he is ok. Maybe he can stay in your garage while you find a pit rescue that will take him. I think Spindletop is in Texas, not sure if they are close to you or not. I would contact them as one of the big pit rescues in Texas. I am sure they have a network of volunteers/fosters in your State.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM

3,494 posts, read 12,967,251 times
No sign of buddy. Even left the garage door half way open with food and water. I have a feeling that Animal Control did more than just shoot him with a tranquilizer gun and then try to locate him unsuccessfully in the woods where he ran off. They just wont tell me. I dont know. All I know is that he has not shown up since. I am sad for Buddy. But I cant even foster,even if he did show up-I am a renter and am moving in the next few weeks, and the place I am moving to wont have a covered patio to give him shelter, since my doggy door only fits my little dogs for inside/outside access, and my new landlord is real nice to let me put a doggy door in, and build fencing, just because i have small housebroken adult dogs with references, and plus if I did just keep him temporarily outside, I would have to get him fixed and get him to a vet and i simply just cant afford the extra expenses...and there are so many other reasons. but anyway Buddy has not shown back up. i dont think he will.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,215,112 times
If he appears again, I would do as Leorah outlined.

The problem is going to be what to do with him then. Most pit bull rescues are at capacity. I'm not saying don't try, you might luck out, but I didn't have any luck last fall when I tried to place one.....that's why she's lying on the dog bed near my feet right now .

Right now on Petfinder:

Pit bulls: 9186 available

Compared to Boston terriers (947), Pugs (1100), Bichon Frise (530)....there are a lot of pit bulls that need homes .

So if you have no luck with a rescue group, then I'd look to your local Humane Society and finally Animal Control, hopefully your city shelter is a no-kill (mine is a kill ).

The Humane Society has some good articles on homing pets in their campaign section (Pets For Life).

Here's an article on what to when you find a lost pet:

Finding a Lost Pet | The Humane Society of the United States (http://hsus.org/pets/pet_care/finding_a_lost_pet.html - broken link)

Here's one about finding a responsible home for a pet:

Guidelines for Finding a Responsible Home for a Pet | The Humane Society of the United States (http://hsus.org/pets/pet_care/guidelines_for_finding_a_responsible_home_for_a_pe t.html - broken link)

The Humane Society suggests you use an organization to help you find a home for the dog rather than placing an ad yourself. This way, the potential owner can be screened, maybe a home check - it lessens the risk of the dog getting into the wrong hands .

Old 08-21-2008, 01:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,246,248 times
I know you said you don't want to foster due to expense, but typically the rescue or shelter covers all expenses and may be able to give you a dog house for shelter outside if Buddy turns up.

I'm sad for him and for pitbulls out there. Not many find good homes or catch a break in shelters.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,050 times
Just checking out posts. NOTAM - thank you so much for doing what you could to help poor buddy. You should join the Best Friends Animal Society Network. They are based in Utah but do good things in all states and they are very kind and understanding. They did so much with Vick's dogs, it was just amazing. Need to remember, a lot of people that have pits have them for the wrong reasons. That is what gives them a bad wrap.
Keep up the great work you do for the animals and people. We need more people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or