U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,395,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
My advice on the obedience is to find someone who knows how to work with these breeds - the typical person working with typical pets is not often equipped to work with dogs with true natural aggression and dominance, desired traits for the breeds that will be in your mix [or purebred if it happens that way]

A shutzhund club may be a good place to make some contacts, but even then many sport dogs have had the true aggression bred out of them and are in play/prey mode and not working in defense. I know you may not want to do aggression training but you have to be in full control and that is more than the clicker/treats crowd can often handle. {I am a strong advocate of motivational training but we are talking about dogs bred with a purpose}

I have heard they don't do bitework with Boerbels for instance because they can break the bite bar in a sleeve. [and because really the medium sized dogs are better for this because of their speed and agility - a tiny malinois can hit like a ton of bricks]

For my experience - I do not do bitework but I have had German Shepherd dogs from working lines for about 30 years. My current working dog is from Czech Police lines [there was a well know kennel, pohranicni straze, that bred dogs for police service over there]
Granny,

The most impressive things I have ever seen:

1.) A Black Russian performing human takedowns. Those dogs are really incredible athletes, very powerful breed and very intelligent. A wealthy gentleman in Austin, TX keeps a Black Russian and a pair of GSD's as estate guardians. No one is getting in that place.

2.) A pair of Dogo Argentinas subduing a 570 lb. wild boar outside of Bryan, TX. As a younger, stronger, more athletic man, I once entertained the notion that I could probably fight any dog on more or less even ground, particularly with a good stick in hand. Not true. A dogo would kill you. Period. It wouldn't matter where he got those chompers on you, he would break bones, pull you off your feet and kill you.

I would be very hesitant to bring a very powerful breed into my family unless I really knew what I was doing with big, strong, dominant dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,866,500 times
"Yes, but you don't want it to turn into a "fear bite" situation."
I understand fully BlueWillowPlate.Thanks!
Here is a pic of Tye at about 7 months. She is a sweetie, but ooooooooh soooooooooooo stubborn!
I Want to adopt a BIG DOG-utah-vegas-4-08-044.jpg

I Want to adopt a BIG DOG-utah-vegas-4-08-067.jpg

Also....Your Mastiffs are "stunning"!
My condolences on Rosie

Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,214,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
"Yes, but you don't want it to turn into a "fear bite" situation."
I understand fully BlueWillowPlate.Thanks!
Here is a pic of Tye at about 7 months. She is a sweetie, but ooooooooh soooooooooooo stubborn!
Attachment 25839

Attachment 25840

Also....Your Mastiffs are "stunning"!
My condolences on Rosie
And she is absolutely gorgeous! Look at those smart eyes.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,818,089 times
I would much rather deal with a confident dog with natural aggression than a fearful dog.

Once again, come back in 2-3 years on that Boerbel, natural agression typically does not come out until the dog is fully grown and the bigger dogs take longer to mature.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I would much rather deal with a confident dog with natural aggression than a fearful dog.

Once again, come back in 2-3 years on that Boerbel, natural agression typically does not come out until the dog is fully grown and the bigger dogs take longer to mature.
We are hoping her confidence comes with age, which I'm sure it will. She is just so funny right now, because she doesn't understand her size.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
We are hoping her confidence comes with age, which I'm sure it will. She is just so funny right now, because she doesn't understand her size.
I had a Great Dane puppy that would try to back up to the sofa to sit down. It seemed like he knew he was gonna be big! When he was older, he did back up and sit down on the sofa. As a puppy, he never came close, just slid to the floor - so funny to watch.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:45 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,062,830 times
Hi - I have a dog, I adopted a Black Lab (7yrs) from a family who no longer had time to devote because they got a younger dog - long story but basically they wanted to invest their time in their younger dog.
I got a GREAT dog out of it so I can't complain. I have friends though who have BIG breed dogs, Great Danes, St. Bernards, etc.. just a few but enough to have learned something. If it isn't something with their hips, knees, joints, it's a skin issue, or something with the very large breeds.
I love them too and even my lab runs the risk of hip dysplasia but I think I've stayed away from the really big guys just for all of the medical issues that could happen.
I wish you luck - I'd really take the time to research the breed you want as they all have such different personalities.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM

378 posts, read 1,386,445 times
ShelbyGirl1, is that your puppy. Soooooooooooo cute. Give her kisses for me.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANLEY50 View Post
ShelbyGirl1, is that your puppy. Soooooooooooo cute. Give her kisses for me.
Actually, She belongs to my daughter. I have 2 Golden Retrievers. Thanks for the compliment...I will be sure to pass it on to our daughter.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:34 PM

378 posts, read 1,386,445 times
Please do and don't forget the kisses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs