U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 AM

3,878 posts, read 2,526,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'm skeptical, and would love to see a controlled study of this syndrome. The only evidence I've seen anyone post for it is anecdotal. For the 24th year in a row, labs are the most common breed of dog in the US, and according to the OFA, 40% of the breeding dogs tested in the past 10 years have been black. It seems unlikely that black labs would be so popular if people really are so reluctant to take a black dog home.
Purebred black labs adopted as a puppies are entirely different from an older black dog which may or may not be pure bred sitting in a shelter. You can't compare the two. I've personally seen black dogs sit in shelters longer than other dogs who are not black.

Here is an NBC news video on the topic. Black Dogs Are Adopted Less Often - Video on NBCNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 AM

279 posts, read 381,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
What a cutie, thank you for saving him or her.
Thank you.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:40 AM

1,256 posts, read 688,805 times
Quote:
Purebred black labs adopted as a puppies are entirely different from an older black dog which may or may not be pure bred sitting in a shelter. You can't compare the two. I've personally seen black dogs sit in shelters longer than other dogs who are not black.

Here is an NBC news video on the topic. Black Dogs Are Adopted Less Often - Video on NBCNews.com
OK, but that is still based on anecdotal evidence. It isn't based on a controlled study. Just a quick check on wikipedia shows that controlled studies that have been done have shown mixed results, with one showing that black dogs actually were adopted faster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_syndrome

Still a skeptic.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:42 AM

22,360 posts, read 28,250,625 times
I think it only applies to mongrels. Black purebreds move out of the shelter pretty darn quick. A purebred Black Lab, a Black German Shepherd, a purebred Newfoundland would be charged a higher adoption fee and there would be no problem placing them.

The dogs who can't get homes are the black pound puppies, usually average size, black with white chest and toes, and of no recognizable breed. I believe that anyone who has ever worked in an animal shelter will tell you the same. Those poor guys are doomed.

As for black kitties in the shelter, perhaps 90% of cats, no matter what the color, are put to sleep. The pound is a death sentence for cats. People who lose a cat rarely come in and claim them. Most just don't put any effort into looking, or else they don't want to pay the fine for having their pet picked up.

Classified ads are always full of free cats, so why hassle with the interviews and applications for a shelter cat. You can walk up to a box in front of the supermarket and pick out the one you want for free without even giving your name.

The local cat spay charity will give you a cat for free, already spayed and vaccinated. The local Humane Society is always running specials pay for one adoption, get the second cat for free. Or half price adoption fee, or even donate for the food bank and get a cat. People who want a cat want to get it as a kitten. The local shelter can place kittens, but once the cat hits adolescence it has very little chance.

I worked in an office that was in the same building as a humane society. I saw what happened and who got adopted and who got put to sleep. There were many lovely cats in there. Beautiful, friendly, blameless animals, but no homes for them. The shelter workers said that once a cat came in, it was as good as dead. Poor things.

Pitbull mixes of any color are the new pound puppies. Apparently pitbull owners tend to leave their pet un-neutered and also don't keep them confined, so there is an abundant supply of half pitbull oops puppies. Few people want a part pitbull and even if they wanted one, over 1/3 of the population rents and landlords generally won't allow pitbulls even if they do allow pets.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:45 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,947,863 times
Never heard of this.
Dogs and cats pick me, I don't pick them.

If this is true, it's very sad.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:47 AM

22,360 posts, read 28,250,625 times
Veering slightly off topic, occasionally an owner of a lost black cat would come in and then would not be able to pick their cat out of a lineup of 10 other black cats.

Also, we had two different times, a person place a black cat into a boarding kennel and then come in and file a complaint that the black cat they were given back was not their cat.

Microchip your pets, guys. Especially cats, who aren't going to behave the same when stressed and away from home and who generally aren't going to greet you with enormous enthusiasm nor respond to their their name. A heck of a lot of cats all look alike.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:13 PM

3,878 posts, read 2,526,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think it only applies to mongrels. Black purebreds move out of the shelter pretty darn quick. A purebred Black Lab, a Black German Shepherd, a purebred Newfoundland would be charged a higher adoption fee and there would be no problem placing them.

The dogs who can't get homes are the black pound puppies, usually average size, black with white chest and toes, and of no recognizable breed. I believe that anyone who has ever worked in an animal shelter will tell you the same. Those poor guys are doomed.
Totally agree that purebreds get adopted much faster regardless of color. Black pits though seem to have a much harder time than those of other colors and black mixes move the slowest (unless they are small dogs, most small dogs seem to get adopted quickly).

Old 10-21-2015, 01:31 PM

18,555 posts, read 23,056,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
riveree -- yes, i have heard of this "syndrome." in fact, a friend who owns two black dogs and i were talking about this about a month ago.

for background i should say that i have a white and gold dog...but i didn't choose him based on color, i chose him based on his exuberant puppy personality. really, it is more accurate to say he chose my ex and me by being the only puppy out of 11 to greet us and then stay with us during our visit.

so, my thoughts on this, were yes, as sad as it is, i can see how this bias would work. i think it's because with darker dogs it can be harder to see the details of the dog's face, maybe their eyes don't stand out as much. and i personally think that's how most of us connect with our animals, just like with humans, through the emotions that are displayed in our eyes.

i don't know, just my theory, i didn't read any of the articles so i could be completely wrong here. i personally wouldn't feel that way about a black dog anyway...i've had a black dog before whose face was almost covered by fur and i loved her very much!

i'd love to hear what other people think...good thread!

Yes. it's very real and very tragic. Brindle dogs face similar discrimination. On a somewhat smaller scale. But I think that's for another reason

I have been involved in adoption, fostering and animal advocacy for twenty years. I think you are on to something when you mention that it's harder to see the features of the dogs face. This works against the dog when they are photographed and advertised in social media or print.

My other theory is that people choose dogs that on some level, look like themselves. When we acquire a dog, we choose an animal that evokes "parental" feelings in us. A dog that looks like ourselves.
Since white people are in the majority, it doesn't surprise me that golden, tan, beige, and lighter dogs are adopted and purchased more frequently. I don't think this is racist - I think the selection takes place on a subconscious level.

Twenty five years ago, I acquired my first dog - a buff Cocker Spaniel. This was five years before I had my first child.

Several years later, Oprah Winfrey became famous for her bevy of well cared for Cocker Spaniels. She did not choose buff though. All of hers were a deep chocolate brown. I am not sure if she also had any black Cockers.

What ever the reason, I have adopted my last 2 dogs by going to a municipal pound and asking a caring worker which dog was most likely to be put down, despite being a nice and loving dog?

I came home once with a medium sized female mostly black pit and hound mix. A great dog who is now 12. The second time, I was referred to a dark brindle pit-shep-Weimeraner. Yes. She is an unusual dog.

I happen to love black dogs. When I have room for a new addition to my family (which will only occur when one of my dogs crosses the Rainbow Bridge - I will look for a black dog - who another dog that is likely to be ignored and killed.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Totally agree that purebreds get adopted much faster regardless of color. Black pits though seem to have a much harder time than those of other colors and black mixes move the slowest (unless they are small dogs, most small dogs seem to get adopted quickly).

I've also read that medium mixes - dogs that do not make a "statement" are over looked. Very mixed and generic dogs.

I doubt that black mini poodles have a problem - Or Black labs. But I could be wrong about the second.

I think there is also an "ordinary medium brown dog" syndrome. Not making this up. I have read it.

Unfortunately, too many people adopt or purchase dogs to be narcissistic extensions of themselves. Some want to appear fashionable and feminine - while others exotic and still others macho.

Where does that put the perfectly nice but ordinary dog that does not make a fashion or social statement?

So sad.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'm skeptical, and would love to see a controlled study of this syndrome. The only evidence I've seen anyone post for it is anecdotal. For the 24th year in a row, labs are the most common breed of dog in the US, and according to the OFA, 40% of the breeding dogs tested in the past 10 years have been black. It seems unlikely that black labs would be so popular if people really are so reluctant to take a black dog home.

It is not Labs. Or black German shepherd dogs. Newfoundlands, Dachshunds or poodles.

We are not talking about pure bread dogs. Or dog breeding.

Black labs - all labs are yuppie status symbols for suburbanites. Along with Goldens.

We are discussing the phenomena of black dogs that are ignored in shelters and pounds. Mostly mixed breeds. Having volunteered for many years in a no kill shelter that kept records of which dogs stayed the longest and what characteristics they had - all things being equal - black dogs were the hardest to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or