U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:17 PM

259 posts, read 765,011 times

Advertisements

Never heard of the syndrome, but have heard about black dogs being passed over more often. I definitely don't have it since both dogs I have are black lab mixes. I love black dogs. I'll share some pics when I get access to photobucket. It's blocked here on the government network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 04:22 PM

64 posts, read 283,949 times
I read that article also. That is just crazy. I absolutely adore my little black pug. In fact, i have a male fawn pug & searched for the perfect black female pug.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM

106 posts, read 564,006 times
BrianH, is your puppy a black lab/austrailian shepard mix? i'm just wondering because he looks identical to my puppy and that is what he is. He is the absolute best puppy and even though we did not pick him out because of his color (we picked him because he was the runt in his litter) I have noticed that all of my animals are black with a little white on them. Here is my puppy with his "sister" and when we first got him. Who could pass that smile up?
Black Dog Syndrome-picture-003.jpgBlack Dog Syndrome-picture-012.jpg

Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,145,548 times
When I was about 20 I had three black kittens that I took in and found homes for. The person who had them wanted to put them down because they were "bad luck". I asked her to raise them to six weeks then I brought them home.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 PM

822 posts, read 2,672,101 times
Yes, I even heard it referred to as BBD (big black dogs). The local paper in my previous town did a weekly feature on dogs in the shelter and always tried to give the big black ones special attention.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:44 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,090,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Black Dog Syndrome

<SNIP> Has anyone ever purposely chosen a black dog because they were aware of the syndrome?
<snip>
Yes. Well, partly.

Our black lab mix was partly chosen because I knew she'd have a harder time if she ended up in a shelter. She was taken in by someone who couldn't have dogs, wasn't supposed to have her in their apartment but did so anyway then tried to re-home her. We got her when she was about 4 months old, and by that age already she was BIG.

We have had many people express fear when seeing her... and she's the sweetest thing (but a barker)... gentle and mellow. A big baby for sure.

I'd had a black lab in the past, in high school, who was the Best Dog Ever, so I welcomed another lab (even though she's not purebred as he was).. our local shelters are overflowing with black dogs who need homes.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,197,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
LOVE everyone's black dogs!!! Here's my 'group' since we're sharing.......the photo quality is terrible, but it's rare we get them all in the frame

Wow, You have 7 like me! Great pic! They are all soooo cute!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 PM

259 posts, read 765,011 times
I got both of my dogs at the Humane Society. Wife got me Bo for my 21st bday and about a month later my wife wanted one of her own so we went back with Bo and got Ellie. They growled at each other at first then Bo just started running in circles in the pen with Ellie. We got Bo when he was 8 weeks old. Out of all of the puppies in the litter he's the one that walked up to me. It's true that they choose you more than you choose them.

Here's Bo

Here's Ellie bringing the ball back to me. This was at one of the dog parks in Rapid City.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvrbrd54 View Post
I volunteer for a animal rescue group. If we have black dogs or cats they are the last to be adopted. It is a fact, people will take white or brighter colored dogs or cats before black ones. The only time black is popular is around Halloween. We will not put black animals up for adoption around that time.

I think it's crazy, but yes it is true. I have 4 foster dogs now that are 95% black and people have not adopted them in the last 8 weeks. Tomorrow we will try again. In the mean time they get older and older then they are really hard to adopt out. Everyone wants puppies or kittens.

Wish me luck
I know....same here, my rescue group always had black dogs left behind and yes, everyone wants kittens and puppies....very sad for the older ones!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
I got both of my dogs at the Humane Society. Wife got me Bo for my 21st bday and about a month later my wife wanted one of her own so we went back with Bo and got Ellie. They growled at each other at first then Bo just started running in circles in the pen with Ellie. We got Bo when he was 8 weeks old. Out of all of the puppies in the litter he's the one that walked up to me. It's true that they choose you more than you choose them.

Here's Bo

Here's Ellie bringing the ball back to me. This was at one of the dog parks in Rapid City.
Your Bo and my Jenny look similar! Cute doggies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or