Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,653 times

Advertisements

You are going to have to find what works best for your dog. I have a Lab mix and he will eat just about anything which can be both good and bad. If you hold out something plastic he will be more than willing to eat for you. But that doesn't mean to give it to him. You have to make the right choice for your dog.

Some good brands to look for are

Innova
and Innova Evo
Solid Gold
Wellness
and Wellness Core
Taste of the Wild
Eagle Pack
Nature's Variety
Natural Balance
Orijen

There are a few more, but I can't think of the brands. All of the brands I listed above are extremely good foods and also a good bang for the buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 PM

702 posts, read 1,983,868 times
Thanks...what about that California REcipe or whatever its called??? When I got her she was on Natures Recipe and its doing no justice with her bowels which tells me everythign she is eating she is getting rid of an hour later

Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
I feed mine Solid Gold and he does fine
where do u get solid gold?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:06 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
where do u get solid gold?
Try your local Petco. They have been selling it in most Petcos now making it much easier to find.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:18 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
When changing her food...try to mix the old with the new and then slowly ween her off the old stuff. If she does have a sensitive stomach, the shock will do a job on her digestive system.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,108 times
I raised, showed and bred Labrador Retrievers for many years. And I agree with my vet when she said the best eaters of all time are Labs and Beagles. Your choice of dog food is an excellent one. Good Luck with your puppy.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM

tysm

Old 08-30-2008, 10:37 PM

75 posts, read 378,833 times
If you only have the one Labbie, I would go with a good, natural food. The Dick Van Pattan, Natural Balance is great.
I have 3 adult Labs,(2 11 y/os, & a 6 y/o) that I feed Diamond Chicken & Rice. All three have great coats and no skin or ear problems. Just find a good food and stick with it.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Every lab I have ever known had a stomach of steel! LOL. Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, are two that I feed my Goldens.
I would be more concerned about feeding your Yorkie cat food. If this is his straight diet, your not helping him any. Dogs and cats have very different needs when it comes to food.
I'll back this up. Eagle pack is good food and doesn't hit your wallet quite as hard as some of the other premiums. One of the better features of this brand is the stool. Smaller, more compact, less odor. Dogs are supposed to have small poops. If you have ever seen coyote or wolf castings out on a camping/hiking/hunting trip you may have noticed that they were very compact and almost black. This giant, yellow-green mess in your backyard is the result of eating bulk grains. The less grain in the food, the better.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
I have Labs and get comments all the time on their coat, especially my 10 mth old pup. The youngest one has been fed nothing but the best since birth. He started w/ Canidae mixed w/ Invigor. You can't change their diet all at once, but you can slowly add to it. He now gets Canidae dry and a little Taste of the Wild (Bison) mixed w/ Embark from Honest Kitchen (a holistic raw diet) and Wysong. For the joints, he gets Velvet Agility, which is antler velvet farm raised in New Zealand. His coat actually shines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs