U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 PM

6,196 posts, read 3,340,761 times

Advertisements

Before making a final decision have the dog vet checked. Aggression can be caused by a thyroid condition and given the age also. Health problems can cause fights, kinda the survival of the fittest, an animal knows when there is illness or old age and declining health...vet check him.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM

315 posts, read 714,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post
And why can you not look for homes for them? You just want to jump into putting them down?

Things like eating poop and fighting? These are normal dog traits we are talking about. You obviously do NOT need to own any dogs!
I would never place a biting dog into someone else's care. Is that your solution???? If so, you need help. After twelve plus years of loving and caring for them - just up and give them to someone else and walk away. If, and I mean IF, I euthanize one or both of them, I believe I will be reunited with them, and the others that have proceeded me, in eternal life - so why would I GIVE them to someone?!?! I would rather mourn their departure from life, even by my choice, than to walk away from them and leave them in others' care!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM

8,244 posts, read 17,209,892 times
I was not JUDGING I was seeking the full pic.

You state that hes gotten worse over the years & you are moving to an area where there are more people. Then yes I too would put him down...people are too happy to sue.

So please explain WHY you think his sister should die? She sounds like a love except for her monster brother. & she would have you & the other dog.

AND I have been where you are at. I had to put my elder horse to sleep & I was unsure how my younger horse was going to take it. These 2 were inserpable IF 1 was behind the trailer & the other was in front they would call for each other!
But since the younger 1 was healthy I DID not put her to sleep. & she had no other horse buddy.

So give us a reason for you to put sis to sleep? Unless she is having problems you have yet to tell us I would not do it.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 PM

9,794 posts, read 24,437,484 times
Y-not...please, don't get upset. You asked for suggestions, and that is what been given to you. If your asking for the majority of us to give you the ok to put your dogs down..that probably won't happen.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:33 PM

718 posts, read 1,145,084 times
Wow....I agree with the judges and juries on this forum. You have had 12 years of not-so-hot dog ownership. Many, many others would have found a different home for these dogs a long time ago. I applaud you for your thoughtfulness and your decision not to inflict your problem animals on someone else. You do have a difficult decision to make and there but for the grace of God go all of us. This will cause you many sleepless nights....but a biting dog....for 12 years.....I couldn't not have put up with that. I think you are fortunate that he hasn't bitten anyone who was lawsuit bound.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:48 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,998,152 times
I for one will not keep a repeat biter. I also agree with the above poster to not place a biter in another persons home. I've done rescue work most of my life, on the rare occasions I have had to put an otherwise healthy dog down. Because these particular animals were totally untrustworthy. A childs safety is much more inportant to me. Even when placed in a no child home, people tend to forget that these people may have family members with children visit. Don't feel bad for whatever decision you make as long as it feels right in your heart. You gave them a good life that most people would not have.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Do you keep him kenneled all the time?

No, they are only in kennel at night. The male "leaks" poop from his rear, not pooping in the kennel.

If he's pooping in his kennel, are you taking him out and making sure that he's exercised and has gone to the bathroom before kenneling him?

See above; he gets regular exercise and walking. But I can't stop the "leaking," he's losing control, not pooping intentionally.

The licking behavior sounds like anxiety. Does he get any exercise? Does he have toys in his kennel?

Yes, he gets plenty of exercise, but I have to just about drag him out. If it was left up to him, he's go hardly go out at all. Plenty of toys, but not in his kennel; all three sleep in the kennel and there's only so much room, plus fights would develop and in such close quarters, there would be injuries. All three sleep well together.

On reflection, I do remember that the Shih-tzu that I once had licked alot, too. The licking that you describe may be something common to the breed.

Maybe so, it became worse as he got older. As much licking as he does, I would have thought his tongue would be worn down!

Biting a groomer who's pulling on all that long hair... to me, that's almost understandable. Even gentle dogs will nip when you hurt them.
How would you like it if someone was pulling your hair and you couldn't make them stop? Do you keep him brushed or is he full of matts when he goes to be groomed?

Hair is kept short, except in winter when I let it grow out to about 2" for warmth, but all are inside-only dogs. If he doesn't like something, he bites, simple as that.

BTW- where are you when the dog is eating poop? Why don't you stop her? Sounds like these dogs are left alone - alot...

Well, if the male lets some lose in kennel, she eats it; if one has an accident, she eats it; she actually hunts it down and tries to eat it when we're walking. But she can be quick, about the time I'm keeping an eye on one, she grabs up a "scooby snack." To her it's a treat, at least that's how the vet explained it; I don't mind it until she throws it back up, that's nasty! I'm here with the dogs all the time, they are inside-only dogs. They had alone time when they were younger with no problems. As they aged, problems surfaced and became worse. It's been a really long time since they had alone time, nothing to do with the problems.

Still, I'll never understand why people adopt more animals when they've already got other dogs that they're having problems with.

These two are not adopted, I bought them as puppies, both AKC. Adopted the third, a chihuahua mix 2+yo, over a year ago. Same problems before the adoption, as now. I have no problem with three dogs, I would have more if I could afford it - vet and grooming bills do run high. The adoption did not cause any change in their behavior one way or another, but the little fellow sure has brought me joy. Whether or not I had adopted the new one, these two would be the same and I would still be looking at this decision. Perhaps, it's the AKC problem, over breeding by those who don't know what they're doing. Then animal lovers, such as myself, wind up with dogs with problems, be it physical or mental.

Poor dogs.
Oh, pa - leeeeaaaazzzzzzzzeee! These dogs have had wonderful care and a very loving home! No, it's not their fault they are like they are - but I have to take responsibility for their actions. And THAT can be very costly. Sheesh, get a clue already!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Before making a final decision have the dog vet checked. Aggression can be caused by a thyroid condition and given the age also. Health problems can cause fights, kinda the survival of the fittest, an animal knows when there is illness or old age and declining health...vet check him.

Thank you for your sound advice and for being non-judgemental. They are going in for full vet checkup at end of month. I will have the vet to run a full blood check and look for anything that might be causing the male's behavior. The female has been on medication for most of her life due to skin allergies, mostly steriods; this explains much of her behavoir and her meds have been adjusted accordingly. It's the male and his biting that has me mostly worried. I think my female would easily adjust to the adopted male, they tend to run around together, I just don't want the adopted male to be her "punching bag." Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM

303 posts, read 796,108 times
Thank goodness you don't have any two legged kids. It's bad enough for the four legged kids. And I agree with World Citizen, why the he** did you go and get another one?

I have a Shih Tzu that has eaten poop. It is FAR from the worst thing she has ever done or could do. Jeez. And yeah under certain cirsumstances they will bite.

THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS- ONLY BAD OWNERS.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 PM

651 posts, read 801,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Please don't judge me - these are my babies, I've never had the two-legged variety, only my fur-kids.

You seem to be awfully quick to judge, I've probably spent more money and time with my furkids than most do for the two-legged variety. I've been through surgeries and other canine problems. I spend a lot on vet bills to make sure my kids are healthy, not to mention what I've spent on grooming charges over the years. I have had other dogs over the years and have loved each them with all my heart and NEVER, EVER have I had to euthanize one! It's not a decision I make lightly, as I said I'm looking for advice - so please leave your judgemental attitude elsewhere.
I'm not sure what you expected when you asked opinions on this controversial subject. When you asked for an opinion, you asked for the other posters judgement on the situation. The situation includes you and, therefore, the other poster's judgements of your potential actions.

Honestly, you are beginning to appear to want sympathy and/or agreement with your position rather than honest opinions on your situation. If that is the case, posting this thread is a mistake as most posters that frequent this section are animal lovers that would only consider euthanasia as a last resort.

You said that this has been an ongoing problem for years and that you've spent a lot of money on your pets. Have you ever sought the advice of a behaviorist? Perhaps you should do so before making a drastic and irreversible decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs