U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 PM

303 posts, read 1,229,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
I would never place a biting dog into someone else's care. Is that your solution???? If so, you need help. After twelve plus years of loving and caring for them - just up and give them to someone else and walk away. If, and I mean IF, I euthanize one or both of them, I believe I will be reunited with them, and the others that have proceeded me, in eternal life - so why would I GIVE them to someone?!?! I would rather mourn their departure from life, even by my choice, than to walk away from them and leave them in others' care!
Yeah I need help. I currently have four happy, healthy and well behaved dogs and have had them my whole life. And I have NEVER come onto the Internet to talk to strangers about putting them down without medical reason. You must have know you wouldn't exactly make alot of friends on here with this. Do you have a spouse or friends you can talk to about this?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:05 PM

12,440 posts, read 31,516,760 times
Katie ate her poop till she was 2. Every time she poop I had to pick it up...not always there to stop her tho.

Did the girl always do this? Or did she start After the bro started loosing it....mother instinct to keep the crate clean?!?

And may I ask why you have 3 in 1 crate? Do they have room to sleep apart if they want? If they are fighting why not get each a crate? Crates are supose to be roomy enought for the dog[s] to streach out in...to relax [not force to be bitten] A Safe space. Forcing dogs that fight together in 1 crate causes lots of stress...could also explain the licking!!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:11 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,128,337 times
Default "no it's not their fault they're like they are... "

You said it, Ynot...

So, it really boils down to the old nature / nurture question... Can we blame the breeders?

At 12 years old if he's incontinent, then you have to make some decisions. I've only had to make the decision for 2 of my dogs in my entire life.
It's a hard decision to make even when the dog is suffering.

I would not kill the healthy, sweet female... but that's also your decision.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-22-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM

753 posts, read 2,222,592 times
If it was me, I would have had the male put down long ago due to his biting. It's obvious you care about them due to putting it off for so long. But if you are about to move into a more populated area, it's almost certain there will be a problem. While a law suit is not fun to think about, it's even worse to think about soemone else being severly hurt or even killed by a dog you knew was dangerous. People have even been sentenced to jail for this.

The female is another story. I would see how she does without the brother before having her put down. She may not feel the need to dominate the little dog.

It's sad that people have to make decisions like this.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:22 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,128,337 times
If it was me, the first time the dog bit me (years ago) I would have learned what do to stop the behavior. And, what I might be doing that causes the behavior. She mentions veterinarians and groomers - but no training.

Maybe I missed that part.

Dogs need more than love, food, grooming and health care.

I agree, it is sad when people have to make decisions like this. But, you read the post and wonder what her real reason is for her decision?

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-22-2008 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 05:36 PM

303 posts, read 1,229,531 times
I can't imagine being in the OP's position. The two awful times I had to put dogs to rest was one 15 yr old lab with stomach cancer and hip dysplasia who could not eat, walk or control his business. The other was a 14 yr old Cocker Spaniel with Kidney failure and arthritis who also could not eat or walk. Just really can't imagine having her reasons.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:48 PM

19,823 posts, read 56,018,889 times
I adopted a nervous Dobie years ago; she was deathly afraid of thunderstorms or maybe they gave her a headache. She had been declawed on the front paws when I got her b/c she always tried to dig out the crate and she had scars on her face from going through a plate glass window when there was a storm. She was on Thorazine and I tried to wean her off it. She ate my metal blinds and left blood all over the room; she jumped on me when she was scared; sometimes she was so loopy on the drugs that she could barely stand. When I had to have back surgery, I had to put her down. She seemed to be miserable most of the time (we lived in New Orleans, lots of storms) and I couldn't risk her jumping on me and paralyzing me. It seemed tobe the kindest thing I could do FOR HER.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM

12,440 posts, read 31,516,760 times
I sold a sheltie pup to a older couple [yrs ago] When he was about 2 yrs old they called me wanting to return him...[gave a dumb excuse] They brought him back in the middle of the nite. Then EVERY morning 1 or the other would call to see how he was. This went on for a week! Anyway I found out the dog had bit 3 people & where they lived that was grounds to be put down!! On the 10th day of me having the dog back they call wanting him back...seems the last person did not report it. I told them there was several things they Had to do to get the dog back.....1 find a good trainer that can stop the bitting & 2 pay in advance for 3 months of training [I just wanted to make sure they would go to the classes] Lets just say the dog turned into a Obedience Champion & lived 16 yrs with them!!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,216,762 times
I'm not sure how moving comes into the euthanasia question but I can share my experience. I had an 11-year-old collie who had a lot of health problems when I was planning to move in October 2006. I took all of my dogs for a checkup and shots for the last time with our vet and he suggested I may want to euthanize my collie boy because the move may be too stressful for him.

I thought about it but decided against it. I thought my collie might actually do better in our new city and home because the weather wasn't hot and humid all of the time. Shane, my collie, handled the move without any problems at all and he DID do better in our new home! He lived more than 18 months before he became very, very frail and sickly. I had to put him down several weeks ago. I am SO happy that I had the extra time with him.

I won't comment on your dogs' behavior problems. I agree with the others that if these issues have been ongoing for years, you're not going to change them now. They may be getting worse, though, if the dogs are in pain from being old and sickly. For me, there's no way I could move and not take any of my furrkids. They're my family and companions so they go with me and I do whatever it takes to accommodate their needs.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,226,681 times
I cannot even go here! You guys can imagine what my comment would be to this situation and it would not be pretty.
Out!
Let me just say one thing. I was parked by the no kill shelter on rescue day and I happen to see a guy pull in with a big fluffy dog licking the guy all over his face and the doggie was so happy! I found out the guy turned the dog in to be euthenized. What was his excuse? He told the kill shelter his dog had tried to bite him many times! Most vets today will not put a healthy dog down! They have heard all the excuses. Most situations can be worked out, not with the dog...the OWNER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or