U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,598,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS- ONLY BAD OWNERS.
A bit judgmental and generalizing in this statement! Dog behavior can be circumstantial and totally not within owner's control. OP has provided nurture and care to the best of her abilities, including financial, and does not deserve this judgment.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,132,832 times
Bad owners make bad dogs...

Is that better?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,659,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Please consider the thread closed.
We'll close the thread when you euthanize those helpless dogs. What we are posting is the question....why? We are trying to assertain, if any, a way to save the dogs. You have to make the decision and live with the guilt and consequences. All I can do is shake my head from afar and question....WHY?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 AM

651 posts, read 1,277,216 times
Quote:
I didn't come here looking for approval, because I don't need it.
Quote:
I truly hope those of you who offered judgement instead of emphathy, will never have to face the decision.
I'm confused. You begin by saying that you don't need approval and end with saying that you want empathy.

Before you post a thread, you should consider the fact that you probably won't get the response you imagined you would receive. This isn't a bad thing. Often, we are so wrapped up in our own perception of the situation that we can't see good alternatives that are perfectly obvious to outsiders. We're you really looking for advice or were you just looking to justify your decision? If you could only look past the emotionally charged responses, you will find good advice in this thread. Here is how I would handle the situation:

1. Have the dogs examined for medical problems that may contribute to the issues. (you said you've taken this step )

2. Have any medical issues treated.

3. If the problems persist, seek the advice of a behaviorist and work with him/her to re-train the dogs.

4. If medical intervention and re-training do not solve the aggressive issues, I would consider euthanasia for only the dog that bites. Allow me to be clear, I would only consider euthanasia if I felt the dog was a threat to myself or others and all other avenues to solve the problem had been explored. I would talk with both my vet and behaviorist to see if they agreed that the dog should be euthanized.

I don't think you are at step four yet as you have said nothing of re-training the dog. Obviously, it is your decision but you mentioned that you would feel depression if you put the dog down. Last year, I put my beloved cat down due to medical issues. I explored all medical treatments and spent $4,000 to save him. I still felt guilty for putting him down. I believe you will feel guilty if you don't explore all options available. Seek the advice of a behaviorist before you make this decision.

Last edited by Maia160; 08-23-2008 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-23-2008, 10:05 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,659,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Bad owners make bad dogs...

Is that better?
That's good! I'll have to remember that! Points for WC!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:05 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,132,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I have offered true advice that may be hard to hear. I endured a dog who WAS a danger and realized the failures on my part to do the things I learned to do to make me a better dog owner - I failed her miserably and it hurts to know that I did and she suffered for it - I felt obligated to make her life as pleasant as possible, and felt released when she died a natural death at 14. I always made sure he life was structured in such a way she could not put others at risk.

Dogs NEED a leader. The look to a leader and in the abscence of one lead a miserable life fighting to figure out who that leader is. I am sorry if these words are offensive, maybe some day you can hear them.

We must take responsibility for the behavior of our dogs and look within when something falls apart so completely.
Excellent post, granny!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:21 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,230,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
A bit judgmental and generalizing in this statement! Dog behavior can be circumstantial and totally not within owner's control. OP has provided nurture and care to the best of her abilities, including financial, and does not deserve this judgment.
It is the fault of the owner for letting it get Out Of Control!
A leader is obviously missing from her pack!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:29 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,230,154 times
Example: One more thing...I know of a woman who bought a Shihtzu pup from a breeder. She had the dog for almost a year and it snapped at her. Well if you knew of this strange, selfish woman any dog or person would snap at her! Long story short she took the pup to her vet to be put down. The vet told her to return it to the breeder as the story goes! She now has a poodle and cannot stand the barking! I am glad I never met her, I would have been her worst nightmare!
Perfect example of someone who should also not own a dog! A dog takes on the owners personality and feeds off it! Bad owners!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:38 AM

303 posts, read 1,229,910 times
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
As far as I am concerned when a healthy animals life is at risk due to an irresposible owner, the subject should never be closed! Many of us are here in defense of mans best friend and our beloved pets. We speak for those who cannot. And we hope our words are heard by those who are supposed to protect and care for and be responsible for mans best friend/friends!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 AM

12,447 posts, read 31,537,716 times
Ynot why didnt you answer my questions about the girl? & here are a few more..
Are these dogs spay/nutered? & How old were they when you got them fixed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or