Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times

Advertisements

Some statistics from one of the largest shelters in the Northeast:

Total dogs that were taken in by the shelter 1985-2007: 216,000
Total dogs taken in in 1985: 15,000
Total dogs taken in in 2007: 4,800
Over that period, adult dog intake was down 95%, and puppy intake down 226%
To place all of the dogs taken in in 2007 the shelter would have had to adopt out 13 dogs a day each day for a year.

Total cats taken in by the shelter 1985-2007: 494,000
Total cats taken in in 1985: 26,000
Total cats taken in in 2007: 17,000
Over that period, adult cat intake was up 4% and kitten intake down 87%.
To place all of the cats taken in in 2007 the shelter would have had to adopt out 47 cats a day each day for the year.

The numbers are staggering, particularly for cats, and this is one shelter in one state in the Northeast. I would imagine the statistics are much different in the southern states.

How can it be possible to place that many animals a day in just one shelter when there are many shelters and rescues?

There are almost 309,000 animals listed on Petfinder today!

Bottom line: Let's not get all bent out of shape on the fact that shelters have to euthanize animals. The scope of what those folks have to deal with every day is beyond the understanding of anyone who hasn't worked in a shelter situation.

Yes, it's heartbreaking to have to kill innocent animals, and yes, it is totally avoidable.

But the solution IMO is providing people with education, options and understanding. When people think they're going to be blamed or preached at they walk away and take their animals with them. These animals are the ones that end up abused, neglected and abandoned, and in the end, many of the animals either die from their situation or are in such poor condition they have to be euthanized when they finally get picked up by the ACO.

End of Saturday morning rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
The biggest problem I see here in the south is that in small towns they adopt out dogs without S/N and have ppl sign a statement saying they will s/n but I would bet 99% of the ppl don't do it. The shelter doesn't follow up so there is no need to s/n. They even arranged with a vet for reduced charges. It really pisses me off because then they wonder how come they are overwhelmed in summer with puppies. Within the last couple of weeks there have been 5 dogs brought in either pregnant or with new puppies, another 12 puppies dumped at WalMart plus the 15 dogs dumped at the shelter during the night.

A local group tried to make it a no-kill shelter but failed because of mismanagement of money and dealing with the city.

At least the mgr at the shelter won't put down a dog unless they are vivious, however that doesn't mean the city won't come in and make her put down those that have been there the longest. Some have been there since July..

Old 11-01-2008, 09:11 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Adopting out with an S/N agreement and a deposit used to be the norm up here too, and still is in some shelters, particularly municipal ones.

Since many more vets are doing pediatric S/N most pups and kits get altered before adoption, and the larger shelters that have money and/or vet volunteers get their animals done prior to adoption.

The population density and the activist advocacy of local humane organizations really has helped with educating people on the benefits of S/N, and they put them in financial terms. Most people can understand money, even if they can't or won't understand other things.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:07 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
The biggest problem I see here in the south is that in small towns they adopt out dogs without S/N and have ppl sign a statement saying they will s/n but I would bet 99% of the ppl don't do it. The shelter doesn't follow up so there is no need to s/n. They even arranged with a vet for reduced charges. It really pisses me off because then they wonder how come they are overwhelmed in summer with puppies. Within the last couple of weeks there have been 5 dogs brought in either pregnant or with new puppies, another 12 puppies dumped at WalMart plus the 15 dogs dumped at the shelter during the night.

A local group tried to make it a no-kill shelter but failed because of mismanagement of money and dealing with the city.

At least the mgr at the shelter won't put down a dog unless they are vivious, however that doesn't mean the city won't come in and make her put down those that have been there the longest. Some have been there since July..
I see that. I was called to the vet hospital kennel here a couple of times by a girl I am friends with there. She just wanted to show me a couple of dogs found that were strays. She had found homes for them and I asked her that they would be spayed and neutered first right? She said no! I told her in Jersey where I am from no dog or cat is EVER adopted out not S or N. So yes, they do not do it down here. IMO now one good deed was done by finding the animal a home but now there will be the potential for more pups or kittens born. Does not make sense to me!
That is so sad Keeper, reminds me of a rescue shelter back in Jersey. Some dogs they have had there for 2 or more years. Now they are being forced to put those down. Sickening all these animals being dumped like worthless garbage.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:26 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
That is why I got out! I needed a break....I saw way too many horrific things going on with animals and suffering. If you only knew the half of what people do to them. My deaf Lyla was abandoned in a, get this one....Ministers yard in the middle of one of the worst ghettos in NJ. She also had her pups with her in 16 degree weather with no food or shelter. Someone saw him come back and put the pups in a garbage bag. They were three weeks old. A report was then filed about the situation and Animal Control was sent to pick up my (De)Lyla and her mate Samson. My Lyla has a broken tail that has to have at least twelve breaks in it....you cannot go near her tail...what the heck did these monsters do to her tail? Thank goodness I am away from that hell hole! What goes around comes around! I truly believe it! God will punish those who abuse an innocent animal!
That is absolutely horrible!!!!! My wife and i watch Animal Planet quite a lot, especially the Animal Cops shows. it just sickens me the people that abuse, neglect, and even abondon animals of all kinds. it infuriates me to the point of i'd like to give the person doing that the same treatment to see how they like it! I look at our animals and can't even fathom how anyone can be so cruel. At least when one of the cats gets under my feet and i inadvertantly step on them, they will run away for a while, but they will always come back for attention, because they know i didn't purposely step on them. Same with our dog, she will get stepped on, will whine, but she still is rady for affection even after that happens.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:47 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
That is absolutely horrible!!!!! My wife and i watch Animal Planet quite a lot, especially the Animal Cops shows. it just sickens me the people that abuse, neglect, and even abondon animals of all kinds. it infuriates me to the point of i'd like to give the person doing that the same treatment to see how they like it! I look at our animals and can't even fathom how anyone can be so cruel. At least when one of the cats gets under my feet and i inadvertantly step on them, they will run away for a while, but they will always come back for attention, because they know i didn't purposely step on them. Same with our dog, she will get stepped on, will whine, but she still is rady for affection even after that happens.
Oh! I cannot watch that Animal Cops anymore. The last episode I saw was some guy in New York somewhere using his 13 year old Golden/Mix for a BeeBee gun target on his front lawn. They had to put her down she was shot at like 100 times! I still think about that poor thing and how he/she suffered. What is wrong with these heartless idiots?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:24 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,590 times
I know blondie, i just do not understand it. Shall we go shoot him like that? i'm up for it

Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
well i want to adopt a few animals from a killa shelter so i can help give them away because at least they will be in a nice warm house being feed and tooken care of and every one should do that

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
Blondie you have to be kidding. I thought shelters were for helping animals. Where did you see this and why not have them shut down??? My god, that's just awful. Up here they practically want your bank statement to adopt.
Here they do, you must have a dog, be home all day, and a fence yard is a must! Wonder, if they then did demand a pet trust! Yup, did that for my dog! Here they also demand,
You to not work? well, you need to be home 24/7? Frankly, Then, b4 they kill a dog, you do need a fenced in yard? Hello! Anyway my dog, is loved
and happy! But to adopt one, I have gave up! So, they kill, and why? Fico is maybe 820 or so? I almost got a puppy from a pet store, but said no!

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-09-2009 at 12:19 AM..

Old 04-09-2009, 12:53 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
The kill shelter I rescued at was 7 days! Pathetic! That place should be shut down for the way it is run and the way they treat the animals there! UGH! I cannot even think about it! Dogs laying on cold concrete in the winter with big drafts, not being fed. Hosed down in single digit weather. It goes on all over...people do not know the half of it!
yeah, that's what always disturbed me is how prisonlike and cold a lot of pounds are. euthanization is more humane than living like that. also so lonely for the poor animals and i always get the feeling they feel like they are in prison as if they are unimportant, unwanted etc.

that is so cruel for them to have to live like that. i was always so aghast at it during the winter especially and you could tell they were cold! and people act like there is nothing wrong!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs