U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 AM

113 posts, read 122,265 times

Advertisements

In MN, we have at least two laws regarding the lawful killing of agressive dogs.

Legalizes protection of livestock from dogs at large:
<a>https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=347.03&year=2007</a>

Protects the right of pedestrains legally walking and encountering agressive dogs:
<a>https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=347.17&year=2007</a>

That being said, if concerns about injuries to bystanders is an issue you may condsider Taurus's "Judge" model of revolver. It carries a load of five 2 1/2inch .410 shotshells (or .45LC loads). The .410 shells should be effective against agressive dogs, but with #4 shot the risk to bystanders over 25 yards away ought to be minimized.

As for the crowd that suggests that you are punishing the dog for the owners stupidity---ignore them. Also ignore the non-lethal crowd. If the dog attacks, use whatever force is necessary to stop the threat/attack. Protect your wife, protect your children, and protect yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 AM

973 posts, read 2,966,717 times
Hi BrianH,
I understand your anger and frustration but it's sounds like the owner is the main problem. They seems to have a marked disinterest in the fact that their dog is aggressive and scaring people. I find it disturbing that this person doesn't seem to care about how frightened people are of their pet. Dogs generally don't act like that unless an owner encourages this by either mistreating the animal or rewarding aggressive behavior.

Can you or a friend get a video camera or even a cell phone that records video and document how it acts when someone walks by? If you can get a good video showing the dogs aggressiveness, the house (address #) and even the owner standing by doing nothing, that would be great.

Show the video to police and Animal Control authorites and I bet they'd step in. Unfortunately, today you have to "prove your case" just to get a response out of some folks. At any rate, not only would the authorities deal with the dog but they'd deal with the owner, too. It needs to be on record that this dog owner isn't concerned with others safety.

You could just shoot the dog, as you said, but it won't prevent that jerk from going out and getting another dog who may be aggressive also.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 PM

643 posts, read 978,263 times
You haven't seen anything until you have seen the dogs the gangs in London take round with them. Pitbulls, staffs etc. All trained to be very aggressive. From what i know about America i don't think you have 'gang dogs'. I tell you, not fun when you see these!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
You haven't seen anything until you have seen the dogs the gangs in London take round with them. Pitbulls, staffs etc. All trained to be very aggressive. From what i know about America i don't think you have 'gang dogs'. I tell you, not fun when you see these!
You don't think the USA has gang dogs? LA, New York, Detroit, Houston, Washington DC are just a few of the large cities here with a HUGE gang dog problem. Add to that the dog fighting in those cities and you have an epidemic! Unfortunately its not a UK "thing". Its a gang thing all over the world.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

36,489 posts, read 41,660,628 times
Yeah, I assure you that gang activity includes dogfighting here in the U.S., just as it does elsewhere. Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. are definitely places where this goes on, in addition to the above cities.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 AM

7,541 posts, read 16,353,360 times
Holy dead thread resurrection Batman!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM

643 posts, read 978,263 times
Really? I always associate USA gangs with guns, not dogs.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 16,353,360 times
How long ago did you leave the USA ? Or have ever been here ?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
You don't think the USA has gang dogs? LA, New York, Detroit, Houston, Washington DC are just a few of the large cities here with a HUGE gang dog problem. Add to that the dog fighting in those cities and you have an epidemic! Unfortunately its not a UK "thing". Its a gang thing all over the world.
sad but true... so very true.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, I assure you that gang activity includes dogfighting here in the U.S., just as it does elsewhere. Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. are definitely places where this goes on, in addition to the above cities.
was going to add st. louis to the list, but you beat me to the keyboard!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Holy dead thread resurrection Batman!
HAHAHAHA.... no doubt!!

Quote:

oh, there are guns too.....

Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
Quote:
Guns, dogs, drugs....gangs are gangs no matter what country they hail from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or